“more than we bargained for!”

costa rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“more than we bargained for!”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

my dad is an avid fisherman and was visiting costa rica for the first time. i mentioned i knew of a boat we could charter to go deep sea fishing. on a whim, we called to see if we could arrange for a trip the next day and sure enough they made it happen! by 7:30 am we were on our way into the deep blue sea and before we knew it, the bait was attracting blue marlins and sailfish. not long after, my dad victoriously reeled in his first sail fish. unfortunately it was the only fish he caught that day. our captain tried with all his might to find us more fish, but to no avail. instead (and much to my delight) we found a couple of schools of dolphins who swam and played beside the boat, two whales, and 4 huge sea turtles with birds perched on their backs. it was a fantastic day!

New Jersey Skylands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My Costa Rica Fishing Trip was a great new experience - I'm hooked!”
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Recently I went down to Costa Rica to visit some friends. We decided to go deep sea fishing. Two of us had ever gone before. We left the marina at Los Suenos, where the Predator was docked , at around 7 in the morning and returned around 4pm. The water was absolutely gorgeous. The fishing was light, as it had been for a couple days, but we were able to catch two. The whole while Jose, the first mate, was trolling several different "teaser" to attract the different fish. He would switch to different colors to see what appealed to the fish that day. It seemed like orange ended doing the trick. I reeled the first one in and Rudy reeled the second one in. Mine was huge, I was told. The captain estimated about 130 to 135 lbs. I can’t believe I didn’t let it get away. Jose really helped me as far as telling me when to reel. I can still hear him saying, reel, reel, reel, reel, reel – really fast! He also helped me adjust the fishing pole for tension. Since it was my first time fishing I would otherwise have not known what to do. Early on the fish jumped out of the water and I asked if that was the fish on my line. It was so beautiful to see – and so incredibly BIG! It took me about 9 or 10 minutes to get the fish to the boat. It wasn’t until our second catch, and watching Rudy reel his in that I noticed Cesar, the captain, was maneuvering the boat in a way that was keeping up with the fish. So while we were not great fishermen and fisherwomen, there were no worries. The skill of the crew made it fun for even us novices to the sport of fishing. The ride back was a joy ride and we ended the day with some fish stories to tell. All in all one of the best, most memorable experiences I have had in Costa Rica and would certainly do it again.

1 Thank SkylandsTourism