“Well, what could you say? Avoid?”
Review of Mana Nui Inn

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Europe
“Well, what could you say? Avoid?”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I was met at the airport by a german girl, but it did not matter; I speak german very well. There was not much information about the city or the Mana Nui Inn during the trip to the hotel. The hotel was much longer away from the city than I had expected.
I got a "cabina" in the end of a long string of "cabinas", and that was good. I liked the little "veranda" outside my door. I usually sat there in the evening, looking out over the magnific ocean, the moais and watching the sunset. This was the best part of the hotel!
There was a brief info, very brief!, the first day at the hotel. The dauther told me in a few sentences something of the island and the hotel, gave me a map, and that was it!
The breakfasts were good, something new every day. I really enjoyed it.
But it was almost impossible to rent a horse! The dauther promised the arrange that, but somehow she forgot it every day. Finally I got a horse and could go horseback riding to one vulcano top, but it was not the "best" horse... And still, the island is full of horses.
I went to the Tourist information one day and booked a trip around the island. That trip was fantastic, and the guide was great. It was worth every peso! But I got the feeling, that it was not the best thing to do, you should have done the reservation throught the hotel. At least the dauther did not talk to me after that.
The owner, Bicky, tried to make my visit a little more comfortable, the few times she remember that I stayed at her hotel! We spoke a mix of spanish and english; she was helpfull, at least she tried!
The dauther had promised me to take me to a restaurang in city where it was a polynesian show, but, geuss!, she managed the forget that compleatly!
But the island was fantastic, and I will return some day. But i think I choose another hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank SusanneEurope

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 1, 2009

We flew to Easter Island on a Tuesday morning. As promised via e-mail, we were met at the airport for the short ride to the Manu Nui Inn. On the way, Patricia pointed out favorite restaurants and other notable spots in town.

Our room was framed by hibiscus and other flowering bushes. It was tidy and had everything we needed. (Microwaves and cable TV just are not part of the scene on the island.)

The owners made arrangements for an all-day tour. After we felt oriented, we ended up renting their compact SUV so we could wander at leisure around the island. The car was perfect for us and gave us lots of flexibility. The dinner show recommended and reserved for us on Wednesday night was terrific -- well above our expectations. And breakfast was large, varied, and always delicious. The first morning, we were served in a breakfast room. After that, our breakfast was delivered to the table just outside our sliding door. Different fruits and juices each day! What a treat!!

Just leave your up-tight big-city ways behind and settle back to enjoy staying in paradise without a condo or high-rise in sight. The Manu Nui Inn is a graceful little gem that is so hard to find these days. We even had a friendly cat stop by at breakfast two mornings, and a horse wandered past the door one morning.

We loved our visit!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OldPachaMama
Connecticut/Quito
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Ditto to the "charming inn review" and most of the others except for the people who seemed to have so many problems. A friend and I stayed 5 days loved everything about Easter Island: a truly unique experience. We recommend staying, touring, re-visiting places. We did take tours with a local tour company which we had arranged via e-mail. We did not want to drive.

If you want an ocean view, short walk to moais on a platform and 3 individual ones including the only one with restored eyes, easy walk to town past more moais, sound of waves, roosters crowing, dogs that sleep outside your door and on the patio porch each night even though you keep the door open, good breakfast served in the main house (where owners live in back), prompt, pleasant airport transportation, easy checkout with payment as posted in various currencies, wonderful, friendly, informative, Rapi Nui family hosts who met any need we had including ice for a bump, then this is THE place for you. It is not a 5 star place, but just as outlined on their website and by other TripAdvisor reviewers. We laughed when we found we had a choice of using two: refrigerator, fan, hair dryer, or tv. We did not come for tv, found we had a nice breeze with the two doors open, but did use the refrigerator because Easter Island can be hot.
We booked via their website and received prompt and informative replies. We had the small stand alone cottage in front.

P.S. Our best and economical meal was lunch at Te Ra A which turned out to be owned by a relative of the Manu Nui owners....again a Rapa Nui. We wanted to patronized locals

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Cape Cod
Reviewed June 30, 2008

If you want to truly experience Easter Island, I highly recommend staying at the Mana Nui inn. I traveled by myself to Easter Island for a 5 night stay, after making room arrangements online with Mana Nui Inn owner, Bicky, two months in advance. Sure enough, when I walked out of the airport in Hanga Roa, Bicky's daughter Patricia was there to greet me and drive me over to the inn. The inn is located just outside the center of town - a mere 10 minute walk away - and overlooks the Pacific and the Ahu Tahai complex. My room was simple, tidy and clean with plenty of hot water. I enjoyed just sitting out on my porch reading and listening to all the sounds of the island - roosters, music and dogs. I slept with the sliding doors open at night listening to the waves crashing on the rocks. Although I had been sent a variety of tour options with pricing from the inn beforehand, they ended up talking me out of taking the tours and saving me money. I rented their jeep on 2 different days with some fellow guests and we saw and expereienced almost everything there was on the island - from hiking the remote Poike peninsula to traveling down the bumpy dirt rod to Ahu Akivi. The breakfast served in their lovely dining area was delicious and included fresh fruits, biscuits, cheeses and a daily main dish that varied from a vegetable frittata to a banana quiche. I didn't travel to Easter Island to stay in a five-star box hotel with television and room service. I did travel there to experience the history, culture and wonder of this remote island - and my stay at Mana Nui Inn made it even more enjoyable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Roosters!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank HrockCapeCod
Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2008

We stayed for a week and had problems that we feel other travelers should know about.

The Mana Nui misled us about having kitchen in the room. (This was listed as one of the facilities in the room in the email they sent when we first made enquiry. The guesthouse also confirmed that they have a microwave in subsequent email communication). We chose this guesthouse (over Hotel Gomero, a hotel highly recommended by the guidebook) mainly because of the access to kitchen facilities as we read so much about how expensive the Island is. When we asked about the kitchen and the microwave on arrival, we were made to feel we were troublemakers.

In contrast to what we read in the review, the guesthouse is really not that clean.
We found molds all over the pillow under the cover of the pillowcase. We came face to face with a dead cockroach on our way out of the room one day so we fled. To our horror, the same dead cockroach lied in the same place when we returned later in the day. The room was cleaned daily!

The room was pretty cramped, dark, and the old vinyl floor flooded after a shower. Water can only be boiled with the kettle placed on the floor because of the position of the electrical outlet and the shortness of the cord. We also woke up in the night because the room was too stuffy – there was no fan or breeze but mosquito lurk around.

Breakfast was not (?no longer) served on the terrace as reported by another reviewer. It was certainly not varied – the same cold bread, cheese and cold meat was a bit of a turn off after about the 3rd day in our week long stay though there was egg on the 4th day and one other day. The same bread, chess and a cold cut remains with us for the whole week. If you like chocolate mousse or mousse of different flavors for breakfast, you are in the right place. But this really is not my cup of tea.

Our biggest concern is with the terrible exchange rate they used. Before our arrival, we were quoted room rate in US dollars and asked to pay in peso. We exchanged enough pesos to cover our weeklong stay. When we asked to make payment, the room rate in peso became 30% more expensive (even when taking into account of the bank rate of the day/week)!! After some argument and with our protest, we could finally made payment in US dollar. Once again, we were made to feel the troublemakers making trouble.

We were stuck with another headache – we had a big sum of peso. The only bank in Easter Island does not change peso back to US dollars! We had to spend the whole afternoon and the next morning walking back and forth on all the main streets checking every store. (Though the town is small. stores opened at different times hence the time required to check with them). Can you imagine when we should be spending time admiring the moai or on the beach, we were hunting for money exchanger? Fortunately, we were finally able to change the bulk of our peso back to Euro/US dollars. Though we lost out in money terms because we had to change the money twice, the rate was still much better than what Mana Nui demanded.

By the way, the quote of a rental car by Mana Nui was also more expensive than rental places in town and also became even more expensive when converted to peso.

Be warned; just be careful with the math when you make payment either for the room or anything you purchase. Better still; ask for the quote in the currency you are going to make payment in before you decide if you are staying in Mana Nui.

• Liked — sunset
  • Disliked — terrible exchange rate charged on room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
11 Thank SabrinaCanada
San Diego
Reviewed March 31, 2008

The place was fine. Very clean bathroom and bedroom. The breakfast which was included was simple but good. The Inn picked me up and dropped me back to the Airport. Very friendly and helpful. I didn't book any tours with them - usually all hotels/Inn overcharge. Can just go downtown to the travel agencies and do it yourself.

It was very close to a "Moai", which I liked being able to see the sunset and sunrise in the morning.

The place has a safe, a refigerator, and a tv - everything worked fine. The T.V. only had 2 channels however but it didn't matter since I wasn't planning to watch T.V.

It is a little bit of walk from downtown - relatively speaking.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank uclatraveller
New York
Reviewed March 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed in Mana Nui from Dec. 25 - Dec. 30.

We were greeted at the airport by Vicky, the beautiful and very friendly hotel owner. She took us to the hotel straight away in her comfortable, air-conditioned minivan. Upon arrival we were greeted with cold natural fruit juice! Ahhhhh!

The hotel location was perfect, from our patio/porch we could see some of the Moais (the heads) and it was just 3 minutes walk from the hotel to where the heads were. This was great as every afternoon we walked to the site to watch the sunset. There is something mystical and fascinating about watching the sun go down behind the enormous heads and the golden waves crashing right behind those amazing sculptures. We could also walk to the center of town, to many of the island's great restaurants, and to a small natural ocean-pool for a nice dip if we did not want to drive to the beautiful main beach, Anakena.

The next day we rented a small Suzuki Jeep right from the hotel, so we did not have to go wandering around town trying to find who to rent from - there are no rental car agencies, so you pretty much rent from the locals (but some charge more than they should). The hotel charged us a reasonable rate (same as suggested by our Lonely Planet book).

Each morning we had breakfast served on our patio, which was very very nice, sat there sipping our coffee while watching the waves crashing.

Vicky, the owner, and her daughter, are great hosts and will really do anything to accomodate you. Vicky even stopped at the post-office on the way to the airport so that we could mail our post-cards!

We contacted the hotel directly, via email from the US and they were always prompt to reply and to answer all of our questions. We booked the hotel 3 months in advanced and we were a bit nervous when we arrived, as we had been in the Torres del Paine area for 10 days during which we did not have access to Internet and we could not confirm prior to our arrival in Easter Island, so we were wondering if they would be there waiting for us and if we even had a room to sleep that night. But Vicky was there with floral necklaces waiting for us!

So, why we did not give the hotel 5 stars? Just one minor inconvenient, our room had no electricity when we arrived and since it was Christmas Day, nothing could be done until late afternoon the next day...Having said so, that evening we sat on our patio, with a bottle of Chilean wine, some candles and millions of stars!

Stayed December 2007