“Dance for me in feathers”
Review of Mana Nui Inn

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Hanga Roa
San Francisco
“Dance for me in feathers”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have travelled the world and have lived on four continents. I studied at the university level in Europe and Africa and have taught as well. Few places get enough of my attention to beckon me back. Rapa Nui is one of them. Bicky, Ezequiel and Patricia were fabulous hosts. The property is modest as expected. The ambiance was delicious with a side-dish of native dance by Patricia. Outstanding performer! Yeah, if you are a city bumpkin, the roosters at dawn might annoy you but that is sweet home to me. I go to BA every winter, so RN is an easy jump, but I haven't planned my next trip yet. Soon, though, before the leaves cry.

Room Tip: Get a sea view to gaze at the Moai.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nzuzi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
CA
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved Mana Nui. It consists of little cottages and ours had a view of the sea and was walking distance to our favorite Moa. Family run, the daughter who picked us up at the airport is a professinal dancer and we visited her native show which was a lot of fun. Her aunt & uncle are artists and we bought a small Moai from this charming couple. We rented a car through the B&B for one day so we could see the sun rise at the "Gang of 15", the largest group of Moai, and drive all around the island after having had a day tour the previous day to get our bearings. The Tavernne du Pecheur is a terrific restaurant within walking distance from the Mana Nui and there is another restaurant at the end of the pier where you can enjoy cocktails at sunset sitting over the water. We enjoyed the reasonably priced Miro restaurant which is very close to the B&B. We found Easter Island to be the highlight of our trip to Chile and an unforgetable experience. The Moais are magnificent and their story and the history of the island itself is fascinating.

Room Tip: Cottage with a view of the sea is best.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank scottnkassandra
California
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This hotel has a very friendly staff and a lovely setting but I'm afraid it was a little loud and uncomfortable. I stayed over the weekend, so perhaps that's why but you could hear loud base-driven music on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Saturday's clubbing went well into daylight on Sunday. The place is rustic, which is quite beautiful but because of the setting away from town, the night is full of roosters and dogs. Because of the noise, I had to shut my window, but that get immediately quite stuffy and hot in the summer. That being said, the stars are quite beautiful and the distance from the beach can't be beat and the breakfast is great. But check the price -- if the room was $40 - their posted rate in the lobby that'd be worth it. But the internet rate is quite high for the lack of comfort.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room away from the noisy neighbors or club scene.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank trave7er33
Abtwil, Switzerland
Reviewed March 13, 2012

First of all: We had a good stay in Hanga Roa and this hotel fulfills the main criterias. Main advantages are the perfect placement close to Ahu Tahai for sunrise and sunset and still close to the center of Hanga Roa and some excellent restaurants like Miro or Au Bout du Monde. The hotel is clean and apart of some cocks and dogs in the night (as everywhere on Rapa Nui), it is calm and a good place to to set-back after a day out. So I would mainly rate Mana Nui Inn with 4 out of 5 points.

But I have to take one point off: We had our return flight at 7am, so needed to leave the hotel shortly after 5am. As I did not wanted to have a hassel and as I had read some negative comments on Tripadvisor re paying issues, I had already paid the first day of our 7 nights stay. Last day we were asked whether we had already paid and I confirmed so - first time I got suspicious. But I got quite angry in the morning at 5am when we were asked to show the confirmation / receipt that I had been putting whereever 1 week ago. We had to check all our baggages and it was quite a hassell until I found the receipt after some 10 minutes or so. No idea what might have happened if I had not found this bloody paper, only because THEY were not able to do a proper job!!! Therefore only 3 points out of 5 - sorry.

Summary: Good location, perfect setting, but be aware to pay in advance and also to keep the receipt. In case you do not want to have any hassel the last day, there must be a lot of other nice places in Hanga Roa...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cantonadi
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed March 8, 2012

First off, Easter Island is a magical place to visit. One cannot be but awestruck by the feat of the ancestors of the islanders. But don't be lulled into thinking everything is paradisiac: as a rule, accomodation and food are expensive and disappointing. (Unless you're going for the thousand dollar a day holiday I suppose) But what are you going to do when the next hotel is 4 hours flying away? ;-)

Having said that, this hotel in our opinion was not too bad. It could use a facelift though. The structures have a certain degree of DIY beyond its 'use by date'. Just like the large majority of structures on the Island.

Management was very friendly and helpful booking a tour with an external agency and renting a small 4WD that they have available. We found their vehicle renting charge to be in-line with the rental agencies downtown. The place is within easy walking distance of downtown Hanga Roa, and ideally located to start a hike northward along the west-coast sites and museum. Noisy traffic plaguing downtown hotels wasn't an issue at all. A party next-door on Friday night however was.

The cabin was cleaned every day. 2 small request regarding the room were complied with immediately. There was a large fridge, and oven, a gas stove. Everything is clean and usable.

The breakfast is ok but not abundant. Some fresh fruit, buns, butter+jam+cheese+meat, fresh juice and 'the extra' (one day it was a small pancake, the next a fried egg ...).

Having booked online with a USD quote, once there we were presented with the choice between paying using a CC with a 7% surcharge or using cash. The proposed conversion to Chilean Peso at first wasn't fair. After politely showing we were not amused, we could quickly settle on the correct rate.

All in all, I recommend the hotel. In its class and on this Island it's probably very decent value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sasuffie
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Bicky and her daughter and son were all lovely and made us feel so welcome. The hotel itself was in a great location - overlooking the sea, five minutes away from the little beachs and shops/restaurants etc. Also, the stage were the dancing and competitions etc for the Easter Island annual festival was only a couple of minutes walk away too which was an added bonus!

The room was fine - spacious with a little fridge we could put drinks in to keep them cold. There was a TV but it only had two channels and was fuzzy - we weren't bothered though as we dont go away to sit in a hotel room and watch TV. The little cabanas are set in beautiful gardens and each have their onw little table and chairs outside the terraces to sit out on. We were really happy with this hotel. The only thing that was a bit of a negative was that we had ants in our room. Luckily they werent on our bed but there was a second single bed in the room and they had set up shop on that so if we had needed to use the second bed it would have been an issue but our bed was clear and fine. We just had to watch were we put things and make sure we didnt accidentally put any clothes or anything on the second bed. Plus I don't really think this is a bad relfection of the hotel because it was a cabana and ants get inside cabanas/chalets in lots of tropical countries so I'm sure ants were all over the island's cabanas!

Breakfast was lovely - meat, cheese, bread rolls and a freshly cooked frittata/omlette thing made by the maid. It conisted of onions corn, egg and spinach.

Also nice to be picked up and taken to the airport by Bicky. On arrival she gave us a flower necklace made from fresh flowers and on departure a shell necklace she made from shells herself! A lovely touch!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2012

From the moment of being picked up at the airport, through the great breakfast, clean basic rooms, but with excellent oscillating fan that made it perfect, to chatting with the wonderful friendly instructive and helpful staff, to sadly saying goodbye as I was given a lift back to the airport, I was thoroughly looked after and felt very much "at home" in this distant remote island.
Thank you for making my stay so great!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo