“A Wonderful Island Experience!”
Review of Mana Nui Inn

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed May 23, 2011

After several schedule changes and delays (weather, construction at the Mateveri Airport, and schedule changes by LAN Chile) we finally made it to Easter Island. Patricia (owner's daughter) met us at the airport, greeted us with the customary (and beautiful) leis, provided a brief tour of Hanga Roa with several restaurant recommendations, and delivered us to our triple-bed room/cabin at the Mananui Inn. The room was equipped with 3 double beds, small television, refrigerator, fan, and private bath (with plenty of hot water). Full kitchen facilities are available at the end of the building. Outside the room had a small porch with table and chairs overlooking a nice garden. The Inn is situated in the Tahai District, next to the Tahai Complex, which is an excellent first site to explore and enjoy a sunset. We visited this site twice during our stay. The Inn is situated away from the center of town but most restaurants and shops aren't more than a 15 minute walk. We rented a vehicle from Patricia ($60 U.S. per day), it was a Daihatsu similar to a Suzuki Samarai. Breakfast at the Inn was much more than the usual continental breakfasts I've had elsewhere. Each morning was a different main dish, fruit juice, rolls, coffee (nescafe), ham and cheese. We found there to be enough that we made sandwiches for lunch while out exploring. Our 4-night stay was a great experience and I recommend the Mananui Inn to others.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Relentless_Traveler
There are newer reviews for Mana Nui Inn

Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stay for a week for Christmas. The owner, Vicky, is a wonderful woman that make us as to be in her home. The Rooms are cabins: clean, full of sunlight. We stay in a large house with accomodations for 7, two bathrooms, full kitchen.
If someone will travel with children bring all the supplies for cooking in the cabin. The only airline that reach the Island, LAN, allows 46 kg per traveler. Yes, the double than normal tourist flights. So, go to the supermarket an fill bags... The island is expensive because all is airborne from the continent.
If you like a little of magic in Paradise, go to Ester Island an stay in Mana Nui Inn

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Eugenioaries
Reviewed December 8, 2010

The Mana Nui Inn is a family affair. Exciel and Bicky were excellent hosts..picked us up at the airport, treated us to a fish barbecue with other guests,showed us the town and answered all questions. Patricia donned an authentic costume for the annual fete on the beach beneath the Moai. She danced beautifully and stole the show. Far better than any dancers I've seen in Hawaii or Tahiti. The Inn's location was close enough to town to make it very accessible and only a five minute walk to the beach and the Moai that most of us see on postcards. Breakfast every morning on the front porch was great. Years in the city made me forget how nice it is to awake to crowing roosters..and lots of them. I've lived on four continents, have been around the world several times, and have 65 countries under my belt, so I guess some may say I know what I say when yarning about travels. If you want the Fairmont then go to San Francisco. Some people are never satisfied..I am never disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Close enough to town to walk, far enough away to get a good nights sleep. I could see the ocean from my porch. I stayed 11 nights and the sleeping was good. The bed was comfy and the sheets clean. Plenty of hot water for the shower because they heat the water with solar collectors. The room is cleaned each day. The breakfasts were very good. Always looked forward to the breakfasts. All the people involved with the Inn I liked. I met several world travelers during my stay there, and nobody complained about anything. Recapping: good sleep, good eats, stay clean, good view and friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Bicky, Exciel, Patricia, Susana & Monica were just fantastic to me! They are extremely knowledgeable about the island, truly hospitable and really went out of their way to make sure the trip was everything I wanted. Despite rain, manual transmissions, and the confused tourist I was (am) they made sure everything went smooth as silk for me! I am a woman and prefer travel alone as I do a lot of photography - an activity guaranteed to ruin anyone else's day. They didn't even blink at my insanity! The room was always spotless (thank you Monica!) the food excellent, and they hosted a fantastic barbeque for all the guests! It was great. I highly recommend this hotel. Right across the street from Tahai Ahu platform and within an easy walk to town. Very fair price for the quality.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank JeanA36
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in September. The host collects you and drops you off at the airport, which I think is pretty standard for most hotels/lodgings in Easter Island.

The accommodation was great; a nice little private bungalow with views looking towards the Moai statues on the coastline - this is the best feature of the Mana Nui Inn. The decor was nice, fairly basic but sufficient for the duration of the stay. It is fairly noisy at nights due to dogs and roosters but it all adds to the experience really.

It is a tedious walk in to the town (as someone pointed) out but you could always hire a car. It´s a 15 minutes walk on foot. An amusing aspect was that we hired a car and had left it parked outside the bungalow; this prompted an unusual response from the family: one of the members charged in our door (without knocking) as they could not understand who the car belonged to (it was an unmarked hire car)! I think they thought we had a local man in the bungalow or something! Very amusing really when you consider...

The breakfast was varied, fairly sparse, but sufficient to start the day. It would have been nice to have more fibre though as I was rather bunged up the entirety of the stay!

I have to point out 2 criticisms now. The host claimed the credit card machine was not working which meant I had to go and withdraw cash from the bank in town. None of my cards worked other than mastercard and I incurred charges of nearly ten pounds to withdrsaw 3 x 50000 pesos! This really annoyed me as I am sure her machine worked but she would have had to pay a fee to withdraw the cash from her bank if I had paid by visa so she opted for cash. Secondly, she rushed us back to the airport, claiming the flight was earlier at 11.30am when it was at 1pm, actually even later by the time it arrived. I feel the friendliness was that of a fake kind when I look back in retrospect.

She offers car hire for 35000 pesos however you can obtain cheaper rentals in town: 30000 pesos for 24 hours or 25000 pesos for 8 hours - which is more than sufficient to see the main sights in a day.

If you want a stunning view, then look no further than this place however, come more prepared than us!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank XenaWarriorPrincess
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Easter Island is expensive - if you're used to 5-star hotels, you'll feel you're not getting a lot for your money. If you're used to backpacking, you'll feel you're getting ripped off. Not so - it's simply very expensive - every single thing you eat drink or use on this island has been shipped there. Bicky and her daughters are friendly and helpful (and have a sense of humour). The breakfast is really simple, they don't claim to do anything fancy. Easy and pleasant walk into Hanga Roa. NB clean up after yourself if you have food in your room - if the ants find you, it's no-one's fault by your own! Best things are the view, and being in such a big grassy compound.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple