“Loved it! Great choice for our Easter Island weekend”
Review of Taura'a Hotel

Taura'a Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed at the Tauraa for three nights in early May. I was so happy with our choice. We had room 10 for a party of 3 people. We could have slept 5 people in the room, it was so large. We loved having a fridge/freezer and a safe. The bathroom was spacious and immaculately clean and we had plenty of towels. The juices and food were amazing. The computer with internet access and printer was available all the time, which was nice as well. The owner, Bill, and his wife, Edith, and their large family made us feel right at home. Bill took us on two great tours so we saw most of the island in 2 days. These were full day tours at $60/person and I felt that was an excellent value. Bill shared a lot of his insights into the local culture which was really cool. The location is really nice, within walking distance to shops and restaurants, and it feels very safe and cozy. Everything on Easter Island costs more than on the continent...a lot more. My advice is accept that and enjoy your stay there or don't go. We didn't have any trouble with our bill. We payed by credit card as we didn't want to cart around that much cash through Chile before we got there. We weren't charged extra and Edith and her daughter calculated the bill in front of us and we all agreed on it. Make sure you understand what the current exchange rate is and that you are charged accordingly as they cannot charge a credit card in USD, so our card was charged in pesos. The morning we left two employees told me that my bill was calculated incorrectly, however when I explained that Edith calculated it, there was no further discussion. They hired a cab to take us to the airport and while we were in line at the counter, Bill came in to personally say goodbye to us and thank us for staying! He had seen us leave and followed us up there to say goodbye. I thought that was really nice of him and very characteristic of his friendly personality. I would highly recommend the Tauraa. We were really impressed and so glad that we chose it!! Worth every penny! We'll remember our stay there very happily.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 28, 2009

People dream about making the journey to Easter Island. Needless to say it is a lengthy trip and very pricey. Once on the island, it doesn´t get any cheaper---understandably so. As the most secluded/inhabited island in the world---one should not stress about forking over some coin to stay at a nice place for a few days.

Hotel Tauraa is reasonably priced and offers the BEST breakfast on the island (free to Hotel occupants). Additionally, while we traveled to Easter Island primarily to see the Rapa Nui ruins and various Moai around the island, Bill (owner of Hotel Tauraa) offered up some of the BEST tours I´ve ever been on ($60 US pp for 7-8 hours!). When I say best on the island, I mean it in the sense that if English is your native tounge or prefered language...there is no better tour guide than Bill. He is well read and very interesting as he connects the dots to the rich history of the Rapa Nui people and gives a balanced perspective on its future. You can only get his tours if you stay at Hotel Tauraa & you will not be disappointed. I left Easter Island wanting to learn and know more about its history/people and culture.

I highly suggest staying as we did---together as a family in a room of 4 beds. Very spacious rooms with nice bathrooms. Noise level is ideal and location is great.

When making reservations, make them directly through the hotel at:

This will save you time/money/stress as opposed to booking through an agent etc...

Also, don´t rush your time on the island. I´d say 5 days 4 nights would be best. Enjoy your trip---you will not regret it. Lorana!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank playmachin
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We were thrilled with Tauraa. Friendly and helpful service. We paid by credit card with no extra charge. No service/tip requested or put on the bill. Cash easily available on the Island if needed. We gave a tip because we so enjoyed our stay here. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Edith made our stay unforgettable. She makes the best breakfasts I´ve had in a long time, and everyday is different. Very good location. A bit expensive just like everything else on the island.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I had exactly 24 hours on Easter Island, and thanks to Bill and the family at Tauraa, it was incredible! It started with the friendly pickup at the airport. Once I had my room, Bill (the 'owner') gave me a ride into town so he could show me the best restaurants and point out where to start exploring. When he learned that I had so little time, he insisted on giving me a custom tour the next morning, it would be brief, but he couldn't let me come all the way and not get to see the quarry (Rano Raraku). How could I say no?

The room was fine. Sure it's not 5-star, but you aren't going to find that anywhere on this tropical island. The shower was hot and the bed was very comfy. It was quiet, it was serene, it was beautiful. The breakfast was great, too, omelet and fruit with pressed coffee and a smoothie.

Of course, the service is the best part. The hotel is run by Bill, his wife, and her family which are all native to the island. Even if you don't stay here, you HAVE to take one of Bill's tours (offered through Tauraa tours). He limits them to a max of 8. His information is fascinating and his stories are wild! (at least the ones I heard were, maybe he doesn't tell some of them to everyone ;) I would say the tour he took me on was the best part of my trip. We woke up early and spent a couple of hours seeing the hotspots of his usual day-long tours. He made sure I had enough time for pictures, that we avoided the big tour groups, and that I got to the airport in time to check-in for my flight back. All of this, and on his birthday!

You have to stay here and take the tour and you won't regret it.
And if you think they're trying to rip you off, trust me, they're not. Trust Me. Just ask Bill about what he used to do for a living if you don't believe me.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2009

You don't come to Easter Island for the hotel and there's not to many to choose anyway. The hotel is a nice place to come back to after exploring the Island, it has everything you will need for your stay.
People are so friendly and Easter Island is one of the most amazing places to see, bit of a problem to get to we connected in Lima, Peru which is about a 6 hour flight.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2009

There`s nothing wrong with the Tauraa, but nothing special about it, and at $157, it`s grossly overpriced, even by Easter Island standards.
The location is central. The room was OK, but there was no effort to make it cozy. One of the owners, Bill, made an effort to be friendly, but the rest of the staff were not very pleasant. The breakfast is quite good.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo