“Hotel Hanga Roa”

Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed December 12, 2007

I recently stayed at the Hotel Hanga Roa for four nights on a trip to Easter Island. The hotel is undergoing a remodeling, and all of the superior rooms that are currently available have been recently refurbished. Hotels (as well as everything else) are very expensive on Easter Island. We booked through a travel agent, but I believe that the front desk listed the going rate for a room as $250. This is about what the Ritz-Carlton in Santiago costs, but there are no luxury accomodations on Easter Island. That being said, the hotel room was clean and had everything we needed. The TV only had two channels, but I think that is standard for the island. The hotel is a bit outside of town, but it a nice 10 minute walk down a paved raod. Given that there is no traffic on Easter Island to be concerned about, there is really no reason to try to be in the "town center." The hotel did have a nice breakfast included in the price. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and found it to be extremely overpriced, not to mention that they did not have any of the items I wanted to order (I tried to order a sandwich and they said they were out of bread.) Even though I would not say that the Hanga Roa is a good value, I would still recommend it, as no one else I met seemed to have any better experience with their accomodations. You just have to accept that Easter Island is extremely expensive (which is understandable given its distance from the mainland) and that the accomodations and restaurants are simply not of the same caliber you can get on the mainland. That being said, it is a once in a lifetime experience to be in this "navel of the world" and see the moai up close. Although we were there for 4 nights, given the expense of the hotels and restaurants and lack of anything to do other than the archaelogical tours, I would recommend staying only three nights, which is more than enough time to see everything.

• Stayed: November 2007
7  Thank DCTraveler45
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa

Reviewed November 25, 2007

By only giving a three rating to this hotel, I am being unkind. I will explain why.
I went on holiday to sightsee by day and to return mid afternoon to relax by the pool.
The hotel brochure shows a well lit main building with a nearby working pool. The design is not like that at all. The pool is several hundred metres away in front of of the now derelict old building. If you can put up with the depressing scenery, there is nowhere to sit and no protection from the wind.
In the whole hotel the only sitting out area is in the shade and again in a wind tunnel.
The daytime outside temperature was around 20C and a sun terrace would have been lovely.
For you sun lovers ther is one beautiful, world class beach on the whole island. Pure white sands, crystal clear seas and a real suntrap.
The only drawback is it is 20 minutes by car from the town and has only toilets and a couple of snack / souvenir stalls.

Enough of the downside.
As a sightseeing hotel it is of good standard.
The chalet style rooms are large, clean and airy. Mine did not have air conditioning, ony a ceiling fan. However, with the oceanic climate I did not find this a problem.
The location is good. Ten minutes walk from the village centre with all the shops, bars and restaurants.
Breakfast is good and other meals are at least as good in quality and value for money as anywhere else on the island. Be advised that is you are arrivig from Santiago, food and drink are around 50% more expensive. However, I am told that if you are arriving fron Tahiti, they are 50% cheaper.
The biggest plus is the staff. They are great.
I woud recomend this hotel for up to 4 days sightseeing.

• Stayed: November 2004, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jcann
Reviewed June 12, 2007

If you´re looking for a 5 star hotel, you shouldn´t go to easter island. But, if you want to have a nice trip, in a comfortable room, with a pleasent staff and a wonderfull view, you must choice this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Pjunior
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I just returned from Easter Island. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in one of the bungalows in a deluxe room. I was not quite sure what to expect because the reviews on this site were quite mixed. This being the end of the summer season the hotel was quite empty. I would like to mention a few things based on my experience.

1. The location of the hotel is very convenient. Close to the airport and a walking distance to the vilage of Hanga Roa.

2. The room was basic but very clean. The bathroom was also very clean and had hot water during my whole stay. (Cannot be said about all the hotels) There was a small porch with chairs and a great view of the ocean. A comfortable place to relax after an all day excursion. There is a TV and a refrigerator in the room. The island is a very quiet place. But do not count on watching some TV in the evening before going to bed. There are only 3 channels and even those are available only at certain times of the day.

3. There is a pool but I did not see anyone use it. I think most people spend very little time in the hotel. The tours start in the morning and people return in the afternoon. Then go out to dinner.

3. Buffet breakfast served in the dining room was included. Very pleasant environment and appropriate selection. Coffer eggs, fruit, pastry, fruit juces,yogurt etc.

4. The staff was helpfull and polite. Never had a problem getting a taxi and all questions were answered. I called the reception because I had a problem with the TV. In a couple of minutes they sent over a person to see what was wrong. The only problem I encountered was that the hotel did not have an adapter. Keep in mind that the electric outlet on the island is different from the one on main land Chile. If you want to recharge a battery, you will need an adapter.

5. On certain days of the week there is a show in the hotel. Local dancers in local costumes accompanied by music. I am usually reluctant to see this kind of presentations as too touristy. But I must say it was quite entertaining. Also, the entertainment options on the island are limited. So you may want to take advantage of this opportunity. You can find out about the show at the reception where you can make a reservation.

Overall the hotel was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, the hotel rating system is not standardized. In my experience a 4 star rating in this type of locations is quite different from a 4 star rating in for example Santiago. This is not the Carribean islands where there is a wide range of hotel accomodation. The hotels here are simple and basic. But this is one of the charms of the island.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
12  Thank morelucknexttime
Reviewed April 12, 2007

This hotel is so bad that you have to laugh, rather than cry! We arrived on Easter Island after having spent 7 days at a luxury 5-star resort on Tahiti. While our expectations were low for Easter Island, I just didn't expect this poor of an accommodation. First, there were few guests at the hotel but they put us all in the same "cottage". So, if we stepped out onto our patio we were two feet from the couple who smoked 24/7. There was a ceiling fan in our room but the sliding glass door did not have a screen. We were traveling with our 14-year old son, so the hotel had put an extra bed in the room ( in which my son refused to sleep in because he thought there were remnants of sexual activity on the bedspread). Because we were so hot, we had to sleep with the sliding glass door open and my husband moved the extra bed across the opening to prevent anyone from coming into the room at night. The only way to lock the sliding glass door was to put a stick (provided by the hotel) into the track on the other part of the door. All this for $240 USD per night PLUS another $20 per night for the bed! In other parts of the hotel, there were electrical wires hanging down in the hall and the roof looked like it was going to collapse at any moment. On the positive side, the staff was friendly, the location good, and the breakfast average. I understand this is owned by a Chilean mainland company. When is the last time someone from the coporate office visited this slum? Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Stayed: April 2007
9  Thank Stella57
Gerencia_Hoteles, Gerente at Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2015

Regarding to your comment, allow us to inform you Hotel Hanga Roa was totally rebuilt in 2012. The new constrution was inspired on the Orongo Eastern Island Village. Now is the only certified 5 stars Hotel certified by the National Tourism Service of Chile (Sernatur). For more information please visit our website.

Reviewed February 18, 2007

I did not find this hotel as bad as some of the other reviews. It was very basic but I did not expect a resort style hotel on Easter Island. The rooms were clean. The breakfast each morning was fine. I am not sure what else you could want here and the price was not too high

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled solo
4  Thank StrabDoc

Reviewed January 10, 2007

We stayed in one of the deluxe suites and had a larger sized room but that was the best part of our entire stay. The rooms were not as clean as they should be, our toilet ran the whole time and although we called, nobody ever showed up to fix it. We had no hot water for the first two days and they took 6 angry calls and 1 desk visit to get it fixed. And, our mini fridge mad a terrible noise until I kicked it. Not worth the $280 a night.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple

#5 of 16 in Hanga Roa
Hotel Altiplanico
Hotel Altiplanico
#9 of 16 in Hanga Roa

Been to Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa? Share your experiences!