“a good, no-frills option for Rapa Nui”

Chez Steve Residencia Kyle Mio
Ranked #3 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I spent three nights at Chez Steve over New Year's. It's a no-frills sort of place--thin mattresses, tacky bedding, cheap construction--but Steve and Ana compensate for the basic accommodation by being friendly, helpful & on point with things like airport pick-ups and drop-offs, varied breakfasts that appear when you need them (including a really generous picnic breakfast/lunch that they made on the day we got up early to catch the sunrise on the opposite side of the island). The bathroom is, again, very basic, but we never ran short of hot water & the toilets always flushed. They also have a drying rack outside of every room, in case you need to do laundry in the sink, which was a thoughtful touch.

On the con side: the wifi was terrible. But that might be the case everywhere. Cell signals are poor on the entire island. The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk from the main square in town, which isn't so bad unless you happen to get lost on the way home at night, at which point it's surprisingly easy to wander around in circles for an hour or so before finding the place. (Yes, speaking from personal experience).

Rapa Nui is a tiny little island where the main industry is tourism and everything has to be imported. It's a neat place to visit, in no small part because it's so very, very remote. I admit that I wished for a prettier, more elegant hotel--but I also thought Chez Steve offered good value for money in a place where that's hard to come by.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank egbauer

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at Steve's for a week in October.

The Pluses:
*Steve was very punctual and accommodating when our plans got altered.
*Breakfasts were varied, prompt and tasty.
*Room was clean.
*The common room , where breakfast is served, has a fridge and cooking appliances which we were free to use. There is nowhere to wash dishes so we were told to just stack them neatly and Ana would take care of it.
*Steve was available every morning when he served breakfast to offer advice or suggestions.

The Not-so-Greats:
*We try to be ecologically minded and not wash towels every day. They insisted; their home, their rules.
*The shower floor was very precarious. The wood slats were slippery and bended as you stood on them, but the water was hot and plentiful.
*Wi-Fi is incredibly slow. I had time to take a shower waiting for it to connect. It is best to be as close as possible to the modem outside, close to the eating area. You will get through eventually, but don't try to do anything important.
*Steve has a dog. I am an animal lover and asked if it was alright to pet the dog which was chained up in the back of his house. I was told it was not a good idea. During the whole time we were there, we never saw this poor animal unchained.It broke my heart. Steve told us there was no need for concern about theft on the island. It was apparent that the dog was the alarm system.
* Breakfast was served within minutes of arriving in the common room; almost makes you wonder if there are not video cameras hidden in the floral decorations...
* We left our electronics plugged in when we went out. When the room was cleaned the electronics were unplugged, causing the computer battery to go dead. Make sure you unplug and turn off all gadgets.
* We quickly learned that when the room is cleaned ( there is a big fear of cockroaches on the island- you will see them at night on the streets) everything is lifted up from the floor.Do not leave anything on the floor or it will be rearranged.
* The bed in our room was a double bed. it is difficult for two adults to sleep in a double bed.
* Steve offers a day long tour of the island, which we chose to do with him strictly for convenience. It cost almost $200 for the two of us, including the 4x4 he rented. This is a good option if you don't want to drive there . ( no insurance!) It should be noted that the history you get is his own version and he freely admits that he embellishes a bit... But he does tell you when he is embellishing! Quite frankly, for a once-in -a-lifetime trip, I prefer the facts. I would recommend to visit the museum before taking any tour to get your bearings and help get the facts straight.

The location is a short walk from the center of town, but it is very dark at night. Some reflective gear and a flashlight would be a good idea.

I would recommend this place, as it probably is one of the best , most affordable places on the island. Everything is incredibly expensive. There are grocery stores, but with very limited , and very expensive ( think doubling prices!), supplies. Considering there are basic cooking facilities, I would recommend bring some food from the mainland.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs to block adjoining room noise and exterior critter noise. We stayed in the right han...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Xina63
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed three night at this location, and we were very pleased with Steve and Ana. They are fluent in English, Spanish and French. Upon arrival to the airport, they picked us up and showed us around the city. They have three rooms; we got the middle one. It was very big, looked new (or recently renovated) with a very comfortable bed, and a sofa. We were two, but it seems the room could accommodate up to four people. Breakfast was served every day at 8am; they prepared a lunch the days we wanted to leave earlier to see the sunset elsewhere in the island.

Steve and Ana were very helpful assisting with planning of our time in Easter Island: provided real recommendations based on the time we were staying there, helped us to get great rates for a rental car, gave us maps with suggested itineraries every day, based on our requirements, recommended restaurants and activities... it was a perfect stay! We felt very welcomed, like staying with old friends.

The B&B is very close to the museum and Tahai, minutes away from church, stores, the market and the main roads. You won' regret staying here!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sam C
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Great option to stay in Rapa Nui!

Steve will take care of anything you want (no matter how late you ask he will get a good price and won't charge extra) to make sure you have a great stay at this wondeful island

The rooms are amazingly clean, the beds are big and comfortable and the breakfast is perfect to start the day

Location is ok, it's a ten minutes walk from the main street but you're in a small island with no time pressure so you can enjoy the walk. On the other hand, you're just 5 minutes from Tahai where you can see the sunset right behind some Moais (great for pictures!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Fabian_Gtz_C
Reviewed August 27, 2013

If all u need is very clean,comfort and affordable topped off with friendly, helpful and cheerful hosts this is the place

The downside is dogs bark a lot rosters crow and wi fi is not .good. That being said I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Steve and Ana are such amazing hosts--offering advice, taking you around, helping you with anything you need. They go above and beyond to treat you like family and share their love for Rapa Nui. The room was very comfortable and provided everything that you need, and was good value. My biggest criticism was that there was no window, only the patio door, and it had nos screen, so I wasn't comfortable leaving it open at night (worries about bugs, and as a New Yorker, worries about strangers :-) This made the room a bit hot. Steve gave me a fan which helped and I suggested he install a screen door (obvious it isn't going to cut a new window)...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed alone with Steve and Ana for just three short days on Rapa Nui. They pick you up and drop you off at the airport, and they even give you a little tour of your surroundings upon arrival so you can get your bearings. Great stuff!

Great room. Great patio out back. All modern, all clean and new accommodations. Hot water. Soap/Shampoo. Complimentary tea/coffee in the room. Breakfast was varied and delicious, and they'll even make it to go for you when you want to see the sunrise between the moai on the other side of the island. Internet was spotty, but its an island in the middle of the pacific ocean....you won't be downloading movies here, but you'll get your email when you need it.

They set me up with a great native rapa nui guide, who then introduced me to many other rapa nui. It was wonderful. They even helped me get a discount on my ATV rental because they knew the workers!

I love the location. Its out of the main town and touristy areas. Instead, you live among Rapa Nui houses and get to at least see how some of the inhabitants live. Pretty cool.

Overall, the hotel and accommodations are perfectly in order, but their service is incredible and puts them over the top. Oh, and did I mention its extremely affordable? I paid only 70$ a night as a single traveler. With more, I imagine it increases for food, water, etc, but thats really really reasonable for Rapa Nui! Everything else will be expensive.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good! There are 3!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo