“We loved it!”

Chez Steve Residencia Kyle Mio
Ranked #3 of 35 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We just got back from four days at Chez Steve. Everything I’ve read on here is accurate. It’s a very nice place to stay unless you are looking for a “hotel” with lobby, swimming pool, air conditioning, etc.
Steve has a lovely family and they will all go out of their way to make your visit enjoyable. We enjoyed the breakfast which was ample. We never bought lunch because there was always a banana and enough ham, cheese, and bread left over to make a picnic for our noon meal. With the prices of food on the island that was a biggy. My wife has bad knees so we rented a car for our four day visit and never walked into town but that’s definitely an option for the able bodied. Steve made the arrangements for the car and I don’t think we could have done any better. I second the comment about needing a flashlight. You’ll need it if you plan to walk to town at night. Make sure it’s a good, bright flashlight and that you have some extra batteries.
One of the things we liked best was the cleanliness. The place was as neat as a pin. The room was cleaned daily including fresh clean towels. The beds are very comfortable, the Wi-Fi a big bonus and the in-suite bathroom had lots of hot water.
Most of these posts refer to a kitchen, we didn’t have one. I chalk this up to the fact that they started using a third room while we were there. A refrigerator and microwave were on the porch for use by all of the three rooms. We stored beer, water, and some food there as did the occupants of the other two rooms. It was very convenient.
I’m including the email address anaraux@yahoo.fr because I had trouble finding it after deciding that we wanted to stay here.
I could run on but it’s all been said in the previous posts.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thechipman

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I booked this accomodation long in advance before my visit and had forgotten what i had arranged.

on arrival Steve and his wife Anna both picked me up from the airport and greeted me with a flower necklace. They drove me around Hanga Roa and showed me the main attractions, roads and coasts. where the local banks, eating places and hang outs.

when we arrived at the accomodation i was happily surprised having forgotten what i had booked, the room had lovely clean decor and seemed quite a new build. I had a double bed with ensuite shower room and a outside decked area. the room also had a single bunk bed with sofa bed underneath. so it could sleep 5 if needed.

the room was pretty and there were little touches which made me feel that it was a well thought out room. The soft drop toilet seat, the hot water, bathroom sink, along with the wicker wardrobe and side table. i could havwe been mistaken and thought i was staying in a pretty nice hotel.

the accomodation is close to sea, the museum and some moais. and only walking distance to the main town.

Steves family were lovely, he has a son Kai and his daughter speaks brilliant English and does translate if needed otherwise you can speak French or Spanish with Steve and Anna.

Furthermore if you need to arrange a tour of the island which i highly recommend the full day tour then Steve can arrange this, also i recommend seeing the Rap nui ~Dance show and if you need to hire a moped or Quadbike then do this too. I rented a Quadbike on the 3rd day and using a map went round the whole island and visited the less seen moai and view points as well as the caves and the Volcanic Crater at Oranga. In the morning i headed to the other side of the island to see the sun rise. Also if you're still here on a Sunday then go to the church in the morning.

Steve and his family made my stay really enjoyable. Especially with the included breakfast in the morning and daily room cleaning, and changing of towels.

also the Wifi connection is very good here.

I will definately be back to visit Easter Island again and will most definately stay with Steve and his family again.

Many thanks

Room Tip: There are only two rooms to choose from and both are identical.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank EllleDiablo
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed 4 night at Steve Residence abd we really enjoyed staying there. Everything was perfect. He has 2 comfortable rooms with a huge breakfast included. He will pick yo up at the airport, and will organize everything, being your guide and driver during your stay in this wonderful island. He knows a lot about the island and its history. A lot to learn.
He will also guide you to find the best place to eat.
His guest house is only 10 minutes walk from the main street.
Highly recommandable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Xavnl
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Wonderful place, great accomodations, excellent local knowledge and cultural information. Great family run hotel. They will help you with everything, and will advise and help you arrange anything you need to enjoy the wonderful options Rapa Nui has to offer. Along with the great breakfast they provide, you could not ask for more.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We just spent three wonderful nights at Chez Steve and can happily echo everything that has been said so far. Steve is extremely friendly, offering to take us into town to drop us off at restaurants and shows and then offering to pick us up whenever we wanted. Town is only ten minutes walk away but at night on the way back a large part of the road is dark so the rides were extremely reassuring (especially for me as I was on a crutch)

Steve both picked us up and dropped us off at the airport, giving us lei's on the way in and lovely pendants / necklaces on the way out. He provided a very helpful map with suggestions (which I am adding for anybody who needs it as a reference as to where he is), lovely breakfasts tailored to our needs (my girlfriend cannot eat gluten, and I don't eat pork).

The only minor downside are the animals nearby, especially the crowing of the chickens at 4am lol however, this is true all over the island as the chickens and roosters are domesticated essentially taboo and are allowed to do whatever they want. A pair of earplugs if needed should do the trick!

I completely recommend staying here for that once-in-a-lifetime trip!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ukinny
Reviewed February 28, 2012

All the positives mentioned by others, and a wonderful experience. Superlatively clean and comfortable room with balcony over beautiful garden of guava and avocado trees, but best of all is the warm hospitality of Steve, Ana, and family. As others have mentioned, Steve is originally from France, but loves the Island and is very knowledgeable about its history and culture. Due to a mixup with LAN Airlines (they bumped me from my flight), I only had 3 days to stay. Not only did Steve graciously change my reservation, but he was able to suggest some tours to take in the sites I had told him I was interested in. The tours were excellent and allowed me to make the most of my too-short visit. Steve gave me a mobile phone just in case I ever needed help or a ride home, which was lovely. Breakfasts were good, and Steve kindly drove me to the airport for my very early flight out. Wifi worked all the time, and was reasonably quick. Nights were comfortably cool, and the animals did not wake me (I am a moderately light sleeper). It is a good idea to bring a headlamp or flashlight as there are not very many street lights anywhere. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cl0udh0pper
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Sticking the website up there because it doesn't come up on the first few search pages at all.

This place is perfect whether you're a solo traveler or there with family. Steve and daughter Noelany do everything they can to make your stay as comfortable as posible. Everthing from an airport pick up (where he'll drive you around the island so that you can get your bearings and point out places that have good food at reasonable prices), to free wifi, to loaning you cell phones so that you can call them if you have questions or need to be picked up in the evenings. They'll make all plans for you, even down to picking up and dropping off a rental bike with you (though I found it was $4 cheaper to just get the bike myself).

Breakfasts were generous and always had bread, ham and cheese, coffe/tea, fresh fruit and yogurt. They leave fruit out during the day if you need a snack and the kitchen is open for your use. I had some croquetas left over for dinner one night and stored them in the mini fridge in my room (with some coronas) and heated them up in the kitchen for a quick lunch one day.

The full day tour by Steve is fantastic. He's of french origin but has married into a Rapa Nui family and has a sincere obsession with the island's culture and history. Steve and daugther have good senses of humor and I don't think a tour with anyone else would have been half as interesting.

A stay here makes you part of the family for a few days, which couldn't have been more welcome for myself, a solo traveler.

The residencia is a bit off the beaten path (less than a 10 minute walk to town, though) but it can be hard to find at night (where there are no street lights or anything to guide the way) but they'll always drive you home. Bring earplugs because there are a few dogs and roosters that will howl away at ungodly hours which might wake up a lighter sleeper.

Rooms are brand new so everything is clean and spotless. Always had hot water when I needed it. Wifi was in good working order as well. Nice porch and chair to relax in. Drying rack to hang your clothes if you need to wash a few things.

Room Tip: Both rooms are comparable.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo