“nice view, nice food”

Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in Hanga Roa
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2014

incredible spot, for drinking and dinning, restaurant by the sea. People in charge really nice and always open to answer questions about touristic attractions.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife & I had dinner here twice on March 29 and 30 – at the recommendation of one of our tour guides.

The first night my wife ordered the grilled fish and I had the sea food soup. The soup was excellent with a tasty broth and lots of fish. We shared a delicious dessert of chocolate layered cream pudding.

The second night my wife ordered the sea food fettuccini and I had the hot table – a sampler of shrimp, fish and chicken with an interesting sauce. We shared a dessert of ice cream – not exactly ice cream and not gelato – but quite tasty and refreshing.

The staff is very friendly and speaks English.

Not your Mom & Pop dinner, but real culinary skill well executed.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Ate at La Kaleta twice during a 5-night trip and would give it comparative good marks. Sunset views are great but the frontage is very limited and the best-positioned tables are often either taken or reserved, so it's not the top place on that count alone. But it more than makes up for it with food quality and more-reasonable prices than many other options (Easter Island can be a bit of a sticker shock. It's not as bad as Tahiti but more expensive than Hawaii.)

Few things are nicer than a good sunset and a pisco sour, even from the cheap seats. This place really has an excellent pisco sour. Both main dishes I got were good, with the tabla mixta a compartmentalized seafood assortment and the risotto langostinos very cheesy and done quite well. Being able to cook Italian seems an advantage here. Ceviches are probably good but I was too spoiled by Peru on cost and quality to make the outlay on that. Cost-wise this place compares well locally, but eating generally isn't cheap on the island.

Because of the location and the terrace being open to a very small, rocky beach, stray dogs sometimes get a bit close and take too much interest in diners and have to be shooed away. Seating is also limited, so if it's high season it's best to get there early for sunsets and early or late for meals. People who like this place also might want to check out Tavaku Mare further south along the coast (not really walking distance but I walked it anyway).

For my budget at least, this was the best splurge meal.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This little restaurant is right on the waters edge, literally! If I moved my chair too quickly to the right I would have ended up in the ocean. The food was incredible. I ordered risotto with shrimp and langostinos, and not expecting too much for an italian dish, was so surprised. The risotto was creamy and the seafood very tasty. Would definately eat there again.

LaKaleta, Propietario at La Kaleta, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

we are happy to hear that you have a nice experience, and if you can help us to be better we'll be more than happy.

thanks.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We were on Easter Island for 5 nights, had read all the restaurant reviews prior to our trip and went to a different one each night. On our first night we were walking around and found La Kaleta. It was not busy – we eat early. The menu was posted in both Spanish and English on large chalkboards. Service was OK. My husband had ceviche and I had the crab cake. He said the ceviche was excellent. The crab cake was different than I had expected because it was more of a casserole, but also very good. The setting was great with the deck overlooking the bay. If we had been on the island longer we probably would have gone back, but with only 5 nights and so many choices we only ate at La Kaleta one time.