“Outstanding value and experience”

Tekarera Kainga Ora & Kainga Nui
Ranked #2 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2014

After extensive research into EI accommodation options I chose to stay at Tekerera for three of five nights, only moving to another place because I booked it first (and in hindsight I would have happily stayed at Tekerera for the whole trip). Tekarera is outstanding in every way that mattered to me. I've done a fair amount of travel and, considering the challenges of EI itself (eg water isn't always reliably hot, wifi not consistent but you should be exploring anyway :) so who cares about that etc), it is comparatively excellent to experiences I've had elsewhere!

The room (and maybe more importantly the bed) was so comfortable, clean and fairly newish with just the right amount of space and a lovely bathroom. It had everything I needed for a great and relaxing stay. Big tick.

The surrounds are relaxing and delightfully low key with views out to the sea and, otherwise, to the lovely gardens. It's just on the edge of the main hub so you can enjoy peace and quiet pretty much whenever you want it. (I had the feeling that in the centre of town, some nights would be fairly noisy until late evening.) The breakfast was generous and the verandah spaces large enough that you can keep to yourself or mingle with other guests/adventurers. Big tick.

Paul is an impeccable host in every regard. His knowledge of the island is unparalleled and even if you don't book a tour with him he is still generous with his tips and insight. He has a few 4WDs for hire right there so offers a convenient experience but with the added quality of someone that knows the island like the back of his hand (including places many others aren't as familiar with). He generously drove me to where I wanted to dine a couple of times too so, while it's not part of the price, he goes above and beyond whenever he can. Massive tick.

The location is great. I remember researching it and getting a bit stuck with the distance-to-town comments (eg places that are 'in town' vs 10min walk vs 20mins strolling etc). I stayed on the island for four and a half days. For two days I had a tour guide and, therefore, their car. For one day I caught a taxi that didn't return to collect me as agreed, hours later, so walked for hours as part of my adventure. And so, for the last full day, I hired a jeep, which was an epic way to end my stay. My point, if you want to do EI well, you'll probably find that one way or another you'll need a car anyway. I personally wouldn't prioritise being in the dead centre of town as much as things like the accommodation quality and host/s. Also, Tekarera is a very short walk from one of the key sites, the museum, and still a lovely stroll into town if you like to walk. So, another big tick.

Paul's tour is second-to-none. His knowledge is superb and he showed me places that rarely make it on other tour schedules. He takes it at your pace and is completely accommodating of your whole experience. I had a tour with another guide the day prior and Paul thoroughly tailored my day with him to suit. I told him he should charge much more because his tour is extraordinarily good value for money. Another massive tick.

I could go on! And for all of this, the prices Paul charges give you outstanding value for money - it really is exceptional. I cannot fault my Tekarera experience. If I returned, I'd have every expectation of staying there again.

I can highly highly (yes, twice) recommend Tekarera and Paul's tours. EI is the kind of place you will probably only do once so, if you're like me and want to do it well with no regrets, Tekarera and Paul are rock solid options if you like high quality accommodation suited to the environment you're staying in.

Enjoy EI if you do go! And please consider hiring a vehicle for a while too - driving around that amazing and near magical place with the perfect blues of the ocean lapping away and with these iconic sites surrounding you is something you'll never forget and having a vehicle gives you that extra freedom to carve out your own adventure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 7, 2014

We visited but did not stay at the hotel on our two-day tour with Paul, the hotel's owner. We were on a cruise, so didn't need a hotel for this visit. Nevertheless, the hotel looked comfortable and clean and had beautiful views of Rapa Nui.

Paul was an excellent guide, both very knowledgeable and well-versed in local culture and what we should see in the two days we had. We felt we got an excellent overview of Rapa Nui and the moai, and highly recommend Paul as a guide.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I'd like to pile on with my recommendation. Paul was a fantastic host from the moment we landed to our departure. Our accommodations exceeded expectations and the level of service was outstanding. In particular, the full day tour with him was a wise choice on the day after we arrived. It provided a nice background on the island, current and historic that made the follow on days adventures go a lot smoother. We rented one of his cars as well, a very painless process. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The attached but separate dwellings are very spacious and ours contained a number of kitchen staples...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Paul is hands-down the nicest and most helpful innkeeper I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He picked us up from the airport, had breakfast on the table every morning, and was always friendly. We had a large group of ten people staying at the inn, and we were given a condo-style apartment. It was great! We had 3 bedrooms, a living room, a deck, and a kitchen. I couldn't imagine a more wonderful experience. And the view from the deck was fabulous!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I recently stayed at Tekarera Inn during my visit to Easter Island. Paul, the owner and guide, and Tekarera Inn were both excellent. Paul picked me up at the airport when I arrived and gave me a useful driving tour of Hanga Roa on the way to the guesthouse, pointing out restaurants and other places of interest. Throughout my stay, he was readily available to answer questions, provide information, or provide a shuttle service to restaurants or the ATM. And, he also drove me back to the airport on my day of departure.

Paul is a fantastic guide and is extremely knowledgeable about the island, its history, its culture, and, of course, the moai. My all-day tour with him was extremely informative and interesting, and I would recommend highly Paul as a guide even to those who don't stay at his lodging.

As for Tekarera Inn, it was clean, comfortable, and well-apportioned. The shower had plenty of hot water. The wi-fi was painfully slow at most times, but that's an island-wide problem, something that is not unique to Tekarera. Tekarera is located a little bit outside of town, but virtually everything in Hanga Roa can be reached within a 15 to 25 minute walk. The flip-side is that virtually everything requires at least a 10 minute walk, but if you can handle the hiking required to tour the island, you surely can handle the walking on the flat, paved roads between Tekarera and town.

I recommend Tekarera Inn as a place of lodging without hesitation and recommend Paul as a guide, whether you stay there or not, just as highly.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and everything was just perfect!
Paul was a great host.
We were picked up at the airport with a beautiful flower necklace as a welcoming gift!
Our room was spacious, clean, quiet and came with yummy breakfast!
I also loved the two doggies
who made our stay even more enjoyable!
Highly recommended! We miss you Paul!:)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2014

As you read this review, please keep in mind that any shortcomings I list here are due to the fact that this is a remote island where everything needs to be imported from the mainland. These problems are endemic to the island.
The proprietor, Paul, makes all the difference. He is nice, accommodating, informative, and considerate. He went to great lengths to make us happy, including sending us off with breakfast so we could catch the sunrise at a landmark. Because I am a vegetarian, he made sure there was hard boiled eggs instead of cold cuts every morning. Sure, the breakfast is limited and repetitive but it's impossible to find good produce on this island. The plumbing is capricious but it's because building materials to hard to come by.
The inn is immaculately clean and comfortable. It is very quiet and the veranda has a beautiful view of the ocean. It is an easy 15 minute walk from the center of town and a 5 minute walk to the beach with lovely moais.
My only complaint is that we only had instant coffee every morning. However, the ripe guavas lining the driveway more than made up for it.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
#2 of 16 in Hanga Roa
explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
#1 of 24 in Easter Island

Been to Tekarera Kainga Ora & Kainga Nui? Share your experiences!