“Great Location and facilities.”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Cabanas Matavai

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Honisoiqu...
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great Location and facilities.”
Reviewed May 2, 2018 for a stay in April 2018
person found this review helpful

This is a small rustic style hotel , on the edge of Hanga Roa and about 15 mins stroll rorm the middle of it. The hotel its on the end a bay and the 2nd floor room we had had a small verandah with great views over the sea. Because of its location the hotel is really quiet.
Our room, as I said was on the second floor, up a set of rickety steps and was quite private. The room itself was quite large, split into a sleeping area (with a king sized bed and a single bed and an eating/kitchen/sitting area. Behind the kitchen (which was fully equipped) was a shower/toilet area.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Cabanas Matavi and would certainly go back there.
Violetta who looked after our stay there was very nice and charming.

luckytotr...
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Gorgeous view over the ocean but the lack inside does not make up for it”
Reviewed October 23, 2017 for a stay in October 2017
people found this review helpful

I have been in contact with Violeta from the USA long before my arrival. She had us picked up via taxi from a different property that could not accommodate us for the entire 10 nights of our stay. We were told check in time was 12:30 but the room was not available until 6pm. The room was a "one-bedroom house" located on the 2nd floor with 2 walls of beautiful ocean view just across the road. There were 2 chairs on the deck which allowed for a great coffee in the morning. The room consisted of a queen size bed and a sofa bed. My friend slept on the sofa bed and had to see a masseuse the next day as it was not only uncomfortable but painful to sleep in. We had to keep the bathroom door closed as there was a sewage smell that was unavoidable despite keeping the bathroom window open and emptying the bathroom trash. The toilet water kept running non stop trying to fill the water tank. I tried to fix the chain in the water tank but due to the dim light and the stench from the tank decided to forgo the attempt and worked out a trick to keep it from flowing. Our sliding door was also our main entrance and after our 2nd night we were unable to lock it from the inside and had to leave the sliding door a crack open as it would not shut completely. During our second night my friend received all my blankets so she could sleep on the floor so I requested some more for me. I am not sure if those were the additional blankets or my pillows but they smelled terrible.
There is nobody on the premises and if one needs something one would have to either call Violeta or send a message via WhatsApp to her. This could be a challenge if one is not equipped with either possibility.
The bamboo style curtains covering each window were a challenge to roll up and keep rolled up, it was a daily morning ritual. I also did not find the place very clean. The kitchen shelves have not been wiped off at all. The entire room seemed to have a neglected feeling and could use a major renovation. I was told the house once belonged to a Canadian couple who sold it and it has since deteriorated. Nothing gets fixed.
The bathroom did have hot water and a hair dryer, the kitchen consisted of a table with 4 chairs, stove, fridge and an electric hot water thermos and coffee machine.
As I said, the place has a gorgeous view over the ocean and is close to the main streets of Hanga Roa which makes it very convenient. Violeta is a very nice person who tried to help us wherever she could but it did not make up for the lack of broken down items. Had it been advertised as basic, it would be adequate (but the price was certainly not basic).

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Oct 26, 2017
In the description of the cottages it appears that they are designed for couples or couples with small children.
I thought that you and your friend could be accommodated in it. Regarding the description that makes the cabin so detailed and bad way does not correspond .... I think that I would have perfectly spoken and changed pillows and improved their requests .... Remember that we are a few meters from the sea and the humidity and salt are exaggerated .... remember that we are an island without a port and sometimes we do not get everything that is needed. I went to give rounds to the cabins 3 times a day and also you sent me some messages by wp. the ones that I received and answered them at once. It is true that I have to wait before entering the cabin for reasons of force majeure, but I leave it in another room comfortable and with possibilities of preparing food. Every time I asked them how they were they always told me very well.
It is necessary to live a good time in the island to say that a lodging is basic or not.
regards
Violeta
squiresy
Old Bar, Australia
“Great Place, Great Host”
Reviewed January 2, 2017 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

Booked here after reading all the great reviews on Trip Adviser, and were never disappointed. The room was atmospheric and quaint, within easy walking distance to the centre of town, about 500m.
There are several market shops also nearby, within 200 or 300m.
We also walked to Orongo Village, about 8km round trip, recommended as a once-off.
Our host Violetta is such a lovely and obliging lady, who really went beyond expectations to make sure we met our tours, and airport transfers as well.

Jan 2, 2017
Buenas tardes Gerald : Agradezco su opinión y me alegra mucho .Sea usted y su esposa bienvenidos si desean volver a la isla. Saludos cariñosos y Muy feliz año nuevo
LucyH2165
“Very relaxing, excellent view of the ocean!”
Reviewed December 29, 2016 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

Lovely little cabana, very helpful and friendly owner. The cabaña has a wonderful ocean view, just five minute walk from all the restaurants in Hanga Roa. Just beautiful!

Dec 30, 2016
Buenas tardes Lucy : Gracias por su opinión, fue muy grato tenerlos como huéspedes, cuando quieran volver serán bienvenidos, que tengan un muy buen feliz nuevo año, Saludos, Violeta
Olipa
Bern, Switzerland
“Nice place, nice owner”
Reviewed November 29, 2016 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed 4 nights in this accommodation formerly (and still) known as Te Ora. The owner Violeta greeted us friendly and explained us some things about the Easter Island in Spanish. The apartment was nicely located at the sea, so you could hear the waves all the time. It had a nice patio to sit outside and was 10 minutes walk from the center. We had a flight at midnight but Violeta let us stay until our (included) transfer arrived at 10pm. One minus point for cleanliness which could have been a bit better and the even for island status bad Internet.

Dec 10, 2016
Estimado Patrick. Muchas gracias por su opinión. Le cuento que llevamos 7 meses trabajando como Matavai. Antes las cabañas pertenecían a otra persona con el nombre Te' ora, estamos en proceso de mejoras por lo que pronto seremos totalmente Matavai. Saludos y también a su novia. Cariños.Violeta
bonopunja...
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
“very good”
Reviewed November 3, 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

it was our 1st trip to easter island with my partner and we really had an amazing time, the owner Violeta was very helpful and guided us whatever we needed.
The cabañas are located right in front of the sea which we were looking for.
Would surely go & stay back again!!!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Nov 8, 2016
Estimado Bonopunjabi : me siento muy contenta de que haya disfrutado su estadía en la cabaña, y estoy gustosa de recibirlo a usted y a su partner nuevamente, muchos saludos, Violeta
Gracie_tr...
London
“Homely and well located”
Reviewed October 27, 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

We were so pleased we chose Violeta's place as our little home on Easter Island. The location is perfect - in a peaceful corner of Hang Roa, a few minutes walk from the seafront restaurants and main street. The room (downstairs, with its own kitchen) was comfortable, clean, well equipped and homely - it also has a porch where we loved relaxing and listening to the waves. We would definitely recommend this room. Violeta was a great host and on hand to answer any questions.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Oct 27, 2016
Estimada Lisa : me alegro que le gustó la cabaña , Agradezco mucho sus palabras , estoy feliz de haberlos tenido como huéspedes, saludos, Violeta.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing