“Fair to Middling”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Waco, Texas
“Fair to Middling”
Reviewed February 9, 2009

I had booked into another hotel, but it was overbooked and I was put into the Hotu Matua and assured that it was an upgrade to a five-star hotel. I have no doubt that this hotel was once five-star in the distant past. It is a sprawling property near the airport, but the rooms are small. It has a swimming pool that is small but clean and gardens that, no doubt, were once beautiful but are now somewhat neglected. I was put into a room that smelled of mold and mildew, and when I opened the bathroom door, my lungs started to close up from all the black borders on the floor and walls. When I asked if I could have a room in which I could breathe, I was immediately given another room that was a great improvement, though it still smelled of mildew. There is no air conditioning, though I had a rusty fan. The sheets were threadbare, and there was no matress pad. The room was not clean, and it was cleaned only once during the five days that I was there; even then, it was not cleaned well enough to remove the flecks of toilet paper on the floor or the cracker crumbs that attracted hordes of tiny ants. There were mosquitoes, too. When I needed clean towels, I had to ask for them. After the first night, I had no hot water. There was seldom anyone in the office, and my second room did not have a telephone. Only the owner speaks a little English, but the two other workers I met understood my Spanish and were very kind and helpful. The Continental breakfast was adequate and the dining room relatively clean. A full breakfast costs $20.00 and lunch and dinner cost $28.00 each. A single room costs $120.00 per night. The hotel is located on a dirt road about 20 minutes from the village. All in all, the hotel was not very good, but I was told by others that it is not that bad for Easter Island.

Stayed February 2009
2 Thank WebsterWaco_Texas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dolomites (italy)
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The Hotel is quite old and the rooms are without air condition, they just have a fun. The rooms are big but not clean, the sheet seems to have many many years. The shower (in a bathtube) is just a pipeline from the wall and its hard to mix hot and cold water. The swimming pool is not very clean (we didnt dare to swim in it).
The butter they gave us for breakfast was probabaliy the cause of the diarrhea me and my wife had.
We spent 3 long nights and we were very happy to leave.
The only good thing is that it is close to airport so it easy to go away :)
The price in the reception say 150USD for a single and 180USD for a double........seems quite too much for this place, we booked a package so we dont really know how much we payed exactly.

Please dont go.......

• Liked — the fresch peaches at breakfast
  • Disliked — it was dirty
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple