“Amazing wedding experience at the Step House”
Review of Step House Hotel

Step House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Borris
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing wedding experience at the Step House”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We held our wedding in the Step House at the end of July this year - a couple of other recent posts here refer to the same event. It was such a memorable occasion for us and we were truly blown away by the level of care, attention to detail and the outstanding service we received at this hotel.

This venue is a village boutique hotel, with stunning views of the Blackstairs. The best compliment I can give it is that it reminds me of a mini-version of the Merrion Hotel in Dublin, with the same elegant interiors, warm service, excellent food and overall attention to detail. It was a wonderful venue for a summer wedding as the function room is light and airy, with several large French doors which were thrown open so guests could move between the garden and function room all night long. The cocktail bar and balcony upstairs are cosy and comfortable and proved a perfect place to serve pre-dinner drinks and canapes as well as to round off a very long day in the early hours of Sunday morning. The food was excellent throughout - locally sourced, fresh, seasonal produce prepared with skill and care. The penthouse / bridal suite is quite simply stunning - one of the best I have seen in any hotel anywhere in the world.

The day after the wedding we organised a BBQ for our remaining guests in the garden and again, the food was excellent. We visited a couple of the other pubs in the village that night which was good craic and proved to be an enriching experience for our Dublin friends!

In terms of costs, there are undoubtedly cheaper venues around, but I think it would be hard to beat the Step House for value - in the sense that our 110 guests enjoyed restaurant quality food and palatable, crowd-pleasing wines at a price that we considered fair and reasonable.

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - for a wedding or as a base from which to explore this beautiful part of the south-east. It is elegant and comfortable but it also has the kind of character, quirks and personal service that I wish I experienced more often in Irish hotels. I would be proud to recommend the Step House to tourists visiting Ireland because I think it represents the best of Irish hospitality. I really hope the hotel continues to do well so that we have the opportunity to return many times in the years ahead!

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank Martha K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I attended a wedding at The Step House at the end of July and OMG I am still raving about it and have been back there already. I absolutely adore every single thing about this gem.

From walking into the reception area which is delightfully different from the usual in that you sit down while filling out the paperwork; up then to the room which was GORGEOUS and the bathroom was huge; over then to a reception / sitting soom for champagne and finger foods, which leads out on to a balcony with beautiful views of the Blackstairs Mountains, down through the simple but elegant garden which leads into the function room. I have to take a breath :). The food at the wedding was quite simply PERFECT, not too much, not too little and lashings of taste and flavour. We danced the perfect summer's night away.

The next morning I ordered breakfast in bed and had a late check out, none of which was any trouble whatsoever for the brilliant staff.

A group of us stayed around the next day and we had some food in the bar .... seriously I had possibly the nicest cheese toastie I've ever had ... not a soggy bit of bread in sight :). Afterwards we spent the afternoon in the garden area for a BBQ, organised by the newly weds and cooked to perfection by James ... we wondered if he got any sleep he worked so much that weekend.

The Step House is literally top of my list of places I want to go to, whether for the night or just for food. It has the most charming, warm, welcoming feel and that is due to the care and attention by the management and staff. Well done all involved and hopefully I'll be up to Borris again before the year is out :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Europe
Reviewed August 28, 2010

A lovely clean hotel in the middle of Borris town, spacious rooms with views of Mount Leinster.
Dinner was excellent, a good wine list and very attentive staff.
Breakfast was good with high quality local produce.
There is an amazing walk along the Barrow river close by, also well served by several golf courses.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed here for three nights over the July/August weekend for my friends' wedding. I didnt really know what to expect as the booking was done for me and all I had to do was turn up!

The Step House Hotel is situated along the main street in Borris, opposite the castle grounds. The village is very pretty and lively at the weekends. Borris is about half-way between Carlow and Kilkenny cities so its great if you wish to be somewhere quieter to base yourself while you explore the area.

The hotel itself is very pretty and nicely laid out. The main reception is tidy, with the bar off to one side and the restaurant off to the other. The stairs lead away from it to the rooms as well as the garden.

Our room turned out to be a double on the second floor with lovely views across the landscape. The room was very spacious with a lovely rain shower and bath in the bathroom. There was a wall mounted flat screen tv with plenty of channels if thats your thing. My only quibble with the room was that the wardrobe was very small- there was hardly any room to hang our suits etc for the wedding.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant and it was cooked to order. There is a display of pastries, fresh fruit and cereals and juice. You can order porridge and/or a cooked breakfast. The breakfast was lovely and the dining room was a very cool calm place to eat in the morning.

The bar serves food during the day and seems to be popular with locals. We ate off the Early Bird menu when we arrived as we were starving. The food was excellent but a little pricey- €24 for 2 courses- but as I said, the food was very good.

The wedding took place in the main function room. I think this room was great as it opened out onto the garden- there are 3 or 4 french doors- so people could circulate between the different areas. We had drinks first in the upper bar area which is very quaint.
The weather was sunny which was a boon, as we were all able to head from the bar out onto the lawn.

The food served at the wedding was excellent and the service was first rate! Every thing was beautifully presented and very very tasty. The wines served were excellent too.
My friends who were getting married assured me that the price they paid for the wedding was reasonable.

We had a barbeque in the garden on the day after the wedding for the remaining wedding guests and again it was very well presented and very tasty.

We tried out three bars in Borris that evening- Kavanaghs- a bit scary- O Hares ( I think thats the name) which was buzzing and finally Joyces which had a shop at the front, and was great fun too. It was a bank holiday weekend so there seemed to plenty of people about. We headed back to the hotel after and went into the bar which was jammed. There was a great atmosphere and there were people having drinks outside in the side garden too. It may have been a bit noisy if you were staying in the rooms over- looking this part of the hotel but I think it was only busy because of the holiday.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for a break or for a wedding as its lovely. The staff are very friendly and it has a small hotel feel which is very inviting. The day we were leaving, the fire was lit in the reception which gave the hotel a very welcoming feel. There are no leisure facilities such as a pool or a spa but the area is beautiful. I think it would be great for a romantic getaway or as a comfortable base from which to see the local sights.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I live quite locally to Borris which incidentally is one of my favourite places in Ireland, we use The Step House for extended family gatherings most recently earlier this week.
It is just the most beautiful hotel, small but beautiful with absolutely charming features and decor that is elegant and luxurious but not over-stated where you would feel uncomfortable in its surroundings.
The food, is literally some of the best I've eaten - anywhere in the world and I just cannot praise their chefs abilities and talents enough. Every member of staff is as thoughtful & pleasant as the next and make anyones visit an absolute pleasure.

As I said in my title, words just do not do justice to The Step House - just go and experience it for youself.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Was only there for 2 nights but will definately be back soon for longer stay, food was top class, staff were friendliest people ever and rooms were so luxurious you wouldn't believe it. Definately my favourite hotel in Ireland so far, I doubt it will be topped!
Thanks for the service - there'll always be a bit of my heart in the Stephouse

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank GreenTrees155019
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed July 20, 2010

i recently attended a wedding and I couldn't rate it high enough. This is based on quality of food, quality/style of the establishment and, above all, quality of the service. Definitely one of the South East's most impressive assets. Many restaurants/hotels in Ireland could take a lead from the Stephouse. If any of my friends decide to tie the knot I'll be sure to pass on your details!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borris
The Lord Bagenal Inn
Pembroke Kilkenny
Pembroke Kilkenny
#2 of 18 in Kilkenny
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,696 reviews

Been to Step House Hotel? Share your experiences!