We stayed for just two nights as part of a longer trip. The welcome and service at Bosque is personal and warm. We were shown round the spacious, simple, clean room by the owner, who explained the Eco-credentials of the hotel - save water, limit electricity consumption and respect the animals and plants. The hotel is in extensive grounds, in the cool cloud forest climatic zone in Costa Rica, and has several nature trails, including to the fantastic waterfall -well worth the hour or so walk up hill. It is a haven for bird watchers, so many of your fellow guests might be packing huge zoom lenses, reference books and binoculars. There was one bonus for us non-birders- these guys were out at the crack of dawn, leaving us to a peaceful and un-rushed breakfast, and to enjoy the gardens around the near hotel with hummingbirds coming out of your ears. Amazing creatures, buzzing around the flowers, beautiful colours. The food - recommend you stay full-board because of the location- was good, fresh home-cooked fayre, served up by cheerful, friendly team. There was a separate little bar with a BBQ, which I imagine would be good if you were in a group. There was a little library and seating area next to the restaurant. Couple of points to note- if you have small children who are not well-trained yet, then they will require careful supervision. There are features which are designed for adults- bridges, ponds, nature trails etc, which are natural and don't have every corner smoothed, every gap roped off and every slippery surface pre-warned. And a general Costa Rica hotels point, many remote places offer full-board, which is great, you won't go hungry, but there was a dearth of snacks or well-stocked bars... Beware, and if you are travelling around a few of these places, take some chocolate treats, potato crisps and beers, if they are your way of treating yourself on a hard-day out in the jungle.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bosque de Paz Biological Reserve is a 1000-hectare natural biological corridor, located on the Central Volcanic Range, Continental Divide, between the Juan Castro Blanco Watershed National Park and the Poas Volcano National Park. It is a rain and cloud forest, located 1 1/2 tour away from San Jose, 35 minutes from Sarchi and 25 minutes away from Zarcero. It has excellent access to the Arenal and Poas volcanoes, and the area of Sarapiqui, San Carlos, Carara National Park, Jaco Beach. At this lodge, you may enjoy the exuberant biodiversity of centennial trees loaded with orchids, bromeliads, mosses and ferns, surrounded by an unforgettable setting filled with impressive mountains, valleys, rivers and waterfalls. Guests breathe the pure mountain air, while they hike through the trails though the lush rainforest, and then enjoying the exquisite food at the Bosque de Paz restaurant, which is a sample of Costa Rican hospitality offered through the personal attention of the Gonzalez family, owners of the lodge. Accommodations: Bosque de Paz counts with 12 spacious and exquisitely decorated rooms, with Costa Rican exclusive designs and handcrafts. Each of the rooms has two double beds, and a private bathroom with hot water. Outside the rooms, there are large balconies with a spectacular view to our mountains. Guests can be surprised to be awakened by the song of tropical birds and the sound of howler monkeys. At Bosque de Paz, guests enjoy a comfortable terrace, with a spectacular view to the mountains, where they can see birds, the hummingbird gallery, butterflies, mammals....... The lodge has a library with books on natural history, a research laboratory, and a comfortable meeting room. There is an interesting research Project at the Dr. Stephen Kirby Orchid Garden, which has become very popular with orchidologists and naturalists. Activities: Birdwatching; mammals, hummingbirds, and orchids observation; hiking, honneymoons, photography, annual family meeting, anti-stress program, yoga, meditation. Day Trips from Bosque de Paz: Canopy, rafting, horse back-riding, volcanoes, hot springs, safari river boat, National Parks, among others. We receive small groups only, to protect our Reserve biodiversity. For that reason, we are able to offer personalized attention to our guests, who expects to come back to live another unforgettable experience in contact with nature at Bosque de Paz. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Hotels.com so you can book your Bosque de Paz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bosque De Paz Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- Bosque De Paz Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro