El Silencio presents a very attractive retreat in a well kept and beautiful setting. We stayed for 3 nights. If a guest is not going to schedule something else such as a day at the spa, or some other eco-adventure outside the hotel, two nights would do it. This would give one a full day to enjoy all the trails and all the sights. I would recommend taking the trails at least twice early in the day and another in mid-afternoon. There are different animals, sounds, and expereinces at different times of the day.
The villas are clean, elegant and simple. There is no television, which may be a downer for folks who might be news hounds, etc,; but we found the experience to be relaxing and provided a strong connection to spend time with my spouse talking, enjoying the warmth of the fire.
The staff was very thoughtful, and we did not find a language barrier. All the key staff spoke and understood english well. The concierage, Ronald, was very helpful, focused, with a keen sense to see to the guest's needs. He could easily be found in some the best urban hotels in any larger city.
The menus in the restaurant were interesting and varried to hold our attention, but picky eaters may be challenged.
On our extra day, we drove to the north which in the beginning of large area of farms with the main roads giving many good vistas. It is not much of a tourist destination. but if you like the countryside or come from a farm background this well worth the drive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro