If you seek a place apart from the noise of this world you will find it here. Accessible only by a long, bumpy drive (scary at night with dense fog shrouded mountains) and nestled deep in the Cloud Forest you are welcomed by the most friendly people we found in all of Costa Rica and this says something as we found everyone friendly in Costa Rica. The separate cabins are nicely designed for maximum privacy – even in #16 which is closest to the lodge but still felt completely private with the sound of the rushing river so close by.
We wanted luxury and found some in the luxurious towels, robes and bed linens but found it missing in the quality of the lighting, wood floors, lack of hooks and places to put your stuff. We weren’t well enough prepared for the very cool and damp weather and the in room heaters only took the edge off. Some will be happier with an extra heater. The hot tub was wonderful in that you can make it as hot as you like but designed in a way that you can’t get completely comfortable in there and it takes at least 2 hours to get it up to temperature.
The water is as pure as you’ll find anywhere in the world for drinking and as hot as you need. They put hot water bottles in our bed at night and that was wonderful. No TV in room (which is great) and no Internet in room (which is great). You can download all your junk mail and get a TV fix in the lodge. The food is fresh as they have their own greenhouse (see it) and their own chickens (for eggs only) and their own trout farm. The menu is the same every day. Not great but very good.
Day trips are a little expensive because of the remote locations. But just hike around the area and see the waterfalls and stunning foliage everywhere. The guides are knowledgeable and careful to give you space and private time. Keep in mind what I didn’t, which is that this is the ‘Cloud Forest’ so don’t expect warm, sunny weather although the daily but brief morning sun felt so good. Most of all just breathe in the freshness of this place, the sense of separateness, and you will be left feeling as I do now, which is that El Silencio is very special with warm welcoming people and a truly good heart.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro