Here are the things I can offer to help assist you in deciding whether this is the place for you or not based on reading the other reviews:
*Found this at recommendation of Valle Dorado tours - see my reviews!!
*Excellent accommodations, spotlessly clean. Each cottage is essentially a small home with lovely outdoor decks and rockers for birding and listening to the sounds of the valley in the mornings and evenings. Really beautiful, way more than you need but yet felt natural to the surroundings. Architecture is amazingly well suited to the landscape, enough that I noticed it.
*The service is extremely attentive and considering that they are fairly remote and have no competition being the only place to stay in town, it is more than is needed at times.
*Main dining area is beautiful, menu is extensive. I felt the food choices were very good for the prices, however, I didn't not think the execution of menu was good enough. Salt and seasoning was missing on every meal, every item.
*DO NOT let them tell you that going in to town is either bad or not worth it. We ate in town our last night and it was one of the most memorable experiences of the whole vacation. There are 3 or 4 food establishments, no one speaks any English. It's ok. You can do it. Very very safe, The local people are more scared of you than you are of them. We chose to patronize each establishment even if just for a cold beverage. We sat on the sidelines of a local soccer match with the local people. We walked back in the pitch dark with no issues at all. The food at the Restaurant Tico, Toro Amarillo was absolutely excellent. The place is owned and operated by 7 local women - need I say more? Oh, and the bill was like $7 for two huge plates.
*El Silencio has nice hiking trails on property. They offer a good selection of activities on and off site. We chose to go to La Tirimbina Biological Preserve for the chocolate tour - it was outstanding. The staff at El Silencion went out of their way to get us a driver so that we could take advantage of this tour at the last minute on our last day. We went with a staff member who didn't speak that much English and drove us in his own car and it made for a really wonderful and authentic experience. Loved every minute.
*Weather - beautiful in the mornings but expect it to be hazy or overcast in the afternoons since they are in a valley. Great time for a nature walk, a nap or a spa treatment. We did not have time for the spa, but did tour it and it was really beautiful. Great yoga platform.
I would highly recommend El Silencio for 2-3 nights on the way out of Costa Rica. It is close enough to San Jose and it very relaxing but you will not see as much wildlife here as in other areas. By the end of our 10 day trip, we were so happy just to bird and listen to the sounds of the valley at night. We had seen enough monkeys and macaws for one trip.
I would definitely stay here again, mainly for the combination of accommodations, location with the authentic experience of the local town of Bajo del Toro Amarillo and the serenity of the property with options for excursions if desired.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro