Most places to which I travel don’t usually strike a chord with me, usually because of their lack of character and ability to submerge me in the local culture of a place. If I am going to travel somewhere I want to know what distinguishes it from other hotels or other places in the world. El Silencio did exactly that – I can only describe our stay there as magical and an amazing experience I was happy to share with my husband and children.
I will say that if you prefer “fantasy” vacations (such as theme parks or cruises) or if you need to be constantly entertained, this may not be the place for you. Technology is discouraged, prompting you to enjoy the tranquility of the rainforest. Opportunities abounded to connect with the children and discuss new topics: biodiversity, microclimates, cultural differences, etc.. However, I think this secluded location would be ideal for a honeymoon or other romantic getaway sans children!
The hotel itself is luxurious, but in a unique, camping sort of way. There are several “huts” throughout the property, which is nice because you get more room than just a traditional room. The rooms are spotless. You can drink the water from the tap because it is from a mountain spring and purified by UV light. The food was incredible; it is fresh, farm-to-table, grown on the hotel’s property. There were also hidden discoveries we had fun exploring like the medicinal garden, waterfalls and berry patch. The kids also fed the chickens and trout on the farm.
We did the “Mountain Family Package” and it was wonderful – highly recommended. The first day we walked to town (population 300) and our children played soccer with the other kids. Then we went and made handmade tortillas with a local woman in her kitchen. We also went ziplining and white water rafting, which was super fun for all of us.
Sitting around at the beach was the most boring part of our trip, which we did prior to arriving to El Silencio. I would return back here in a heartbeat. It was such an amazing experience and we will carry these great memories forever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro