“Perfect getaway”

El Silencio Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bajos del Toro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My best friend and I went to Costa Rica to celebrate my law school graduation. My friend found a deal on jetsetter.com for El Silencio, and we were not really sure what to expect. We were BLOWN away! From the very first second when we arrived, the staff at El Silencio made themselves available to do whatever we needed to make our trip spectacular (including going into the small town to get my friend a toothbrush which she forgot!). The food was also amazing. Francisco took great care of us every night at dinner and even delivered the occasional bottle of wine to our room. Did I mention our room had a hot tub on the porch? The views were amazing. Also, Ronald was available 24/7 to schedule canopy tours, spa appointments, and even call the rental agency of the next town we were traveling to as to let them know we were on the way. I cannot compliment the customer service enough. Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Costa Rica for any reason. It truly was the most relaxing place I have ever been to!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Katie,

Our heartfelt congratulations on your law school graduation! Thank you so much for finding us and for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. Thrilled to learn that our staff had many opportunities to shower you and your friend with attentive details. They are amazing! Here's hoping that the relaxation lingers!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

What a surprise! When my travel agent and friend recommended El Silencio I thought it looked a little too "Spa-like" for my future husband to enjoy, so postponed booking our honeymoon until she talked me into it.
We were both pleasantly surprised by this amazing place. Each cabin has a private covered patio, perfect for sharing a bottle of wine and watching the thunderstorms and fireflies in the evening and a private jacuzzi to relax after a day of hiking on one of the beautiful trails nearby.
The food was beyond my expectations. All the cuisine is local and very fresh. They have their own organic garden, chickens and trout ponds right on the property. We tried nearly everything on the menu in our 4 days there and were never disappointed.
There are many activities nearby to choose from, so even when we got a little itch to do something adventurous, the staff were there to make sure it happened for us. There is so much to do on the property, you really don't need to leave, but there is also a gorgeous waterfall about 10 minutes away that we were eager to rappel.
The spa is amazing - the couples rainforest aromatherapy massage was just what we needed on our first vacation as a couple together.
If you are looking for a unique, relaxing place where you come away feeling refreshed and healthy, this is the place.
The staff were all so welcoming and eager to make our stay a complete dream that we will never forget.

Room Tip: All the cabins are very private and I'm sure you can't find one that is better than another.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Saludos Meredith,

Please extend our warmest thanks to your friend and travel agent for championing El Silencio Lodge & Spa. I really enjoyed reading your review and thank you for describing our property and services so thoroughly and vividly. The Bajos del Toro waterfall is truly awe-inspiring and its rappel adventure is for the brave. Congratulations! As you mention, El Silencio Lodge & Spa is an all-Suite property and each unit features the same premium amenities. The only difference in the view. Some travelers prefer the upper tiers, others the units closer to the Gorrion River. A special thanks for noting our wellness theme featuring healthy organic and fresh cuisine and soul-nourishing spa treatments.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had the most amazing family holiday experience. My husband and our two teenage daughters enjoyed every aspect of our stay. The setting was incredibly beautiful, the service impeccable, our accommodations perfect, and the spa experience one of the best I have ever had. We had the opportunity to relax yet also enjoyed the different adventure opportunities offered (horse back riding, zip lining, hiking, river rafting). There was truly something for everyone. The village is beautiful and all the people we met so welcoming. We would definitely go back.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for highlighting El Silencio Lodge & Spa's extensive Experience Menu. Beyond the relaxing wellness features, we are blessed by amazing natural and cultural surroundings that present excellent fun experiential activities for an unforgettable family vacation. Costa Rica is a fun eco-amusement park!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at El Silencio Lodge in Bajos del Toro for two nights. The location reminded me instantly of the film 'dirty dancing'. The location and staff, paths and lodges appeared just like in the movie. However, being in time this location offered quiet, calm and peace. The activities included guided hiking at different times a day by foot or by horse back which we enjoyed very much. The food was delicious and the dining area was idillic with fireplace and an outdoor terrace with view to the river and its lush surroundings. Wonderful and somehow cheeky was the private but sheltered outdoor whirlpool with view down the hill at the other scattered lodges amongst the green, which was accessible from our private bathroom only. We loved the hummingbirds that were everywhere attracted by hibiscus flowers. I recommended this resort already to my parents as this is just their perfect location to fully relax.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Pia,

Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies! Wonderful to hear that our location evoked great memories from the film, with a peace and quiet twist. ☺ We genuinely appreciate your review and thank you for taking the time to write. It will be our pleasure to have a chance to host your parents. Pura Vida!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place is beyond gorgeous! The drive to it from the airport is a little....scary...the road is along the side of a mountain and we had very foggy weather, but it was an adventure!!

You are greeted at the hotel by their lovely staff. Everyone is BEYOND friendly, accomidating and beyond gracious. The hikes and property tour is a must as is the horseback riding.

The food is amazing, fresh beyond words and delicious.

Pack some warmer clothes. We were here in July and it was chilly, especially at night.

I really cant reccomend them more, go visit today!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Rini,

Glad to learn that your adventurous spirit was fully engaged at El Silencio Lodge & Spa! Our property is located in a secluded mountain outpost, set in a little valley surrounded by pristine cloud forest. The final portion of the access road tapers a bit and fog does at times blanket the ground. We recommend driving slowly and scheduling the arrival for no later than 5 pm to be on the safe side. I will gladly share your praise of our staff with our GM and team. Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and had 2 adults and our almost-8 year old daughter in our group. The lodge is secluded and the roads were not that easy to drive, but we came from San Jose (near airport) and stopped by Grecia, Zarcero, and Sarchi on the way, so it was more fun than grueling. Once we got there, we were warmly greeted by Ronald, who was our eco-conciege. He checked us in, showed us to our little house, and even asked them to hold lunch for us (we got there late in the afternoon). The grounds and buildings are understated and rustic, but elegant and sophisticated in design. This is perfect for being a responsible tourist and not feeling too guilty about trampling down a cloud forest to build a resort, and yet, I didn't feel any sacrifice in comfort or aesthetic appeal. My husand is less apt to sacrifice comfort on a vacation, and was wary of eco-tourism (he thought he might be showering with zero-water pressure in an outdoor structure :), but he absolutely loved it too. The food was impeccably prepared and most impressively, much of it was grown organically on the grounds or made from scratch in the kitchen on-site. There are many options for both vegetarian and meat-eating guests.Our servers were very educated and took obvious pride in the food and doing their jobs well. The massages at the spa my husband and I got were wonderful, especially after we did the rainforest hike and cultural tour that day. The hike to all 3 waterfalls was lovely and not hard for our 8 year old. On the cultural tour, making tortillas at Dona Olga's was great and her whole family was so warm and welcoming! Visiting Martin's orchid garden was enchanting as well. We also did the zip-lining and horse-back riding at Poco Azul (45 minute drive by truck) and while we loved the zip-lining, I think the horses were better-groomed and maybe next time, I would have done the riding right here at the lodge...
The best part of our experience was all the little touches: the child-sized rocker they put on our porch, getting a pot of hot cocoa and chamomile tea with warm-from-the-oven cookies or homemade focaccia sandwiches made with the local soft cheese every afternoon (and eating it in our own private hot tub), getting to plant a tree with my daughter, and wandering down to the stable to be invited in to pet the horses and hang out. EVERYONE is just SO nice...There are less than 20 little houses and the guests pretty much nod and smile at each other and it's a great feeling. The price is not cheap, but we got a good package via Luxury Link, and it was definitely worth every penny :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Wow! Thank you for such a thorough and charming account of your experience at El Silencio Lodge & Spa. It was a true pleasure to host your family and I am thrilled to learn that you had many chances to live local culture. Martin, Dona Olga and her family embody Costa Rica’s warmth and we are very fortunate to have a chance to share their hospitality with our guests. Our staff’s signature surprises never cease to amaze me. I can just picture the little rocking chair on the deck. Thanks for acknowledging their thoughtful details. Warmest regards to you and your family!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was my fourth time here and I have to say it was as special as always. Beautiful rooms in an amazing setting and great service.

Food in general can be improved specially knowing there are no other good options around. Our rate only included breakfast (I understand regular rates included the whole food and beverage package) and we did feel it was overpriced (and nothing really spectacular).

Overall a great experience I definitely recommend. A place worth visiting!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Maria Jose,

Thank you for your continued friendship. We value feedback as the best tool to keep a pulse on our services. Your opinion as a member of Costa Rica's hospitality industry is especially welcome and valuable. Thank you for your fourth visit and thank you for underscoring our views and amazing service. As you note, we are transitioning from a rate-per-person, meal-inclusive pricing system to a per-room, breakfast-inclusive system. Please feel free to contact me at: outreach@grupoislita.com to provide more specific feedback regarding your experience with our food & beverage options. Greetings to your colleagues at Cayuga Hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bajos del Toro
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Tacacori EcoLodge
Tacacori EcoLodge
#8 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to El Silencio Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!