Unlike some ecolodges we have stayed at, El Silencio manages a nice balance in having the rooms far enough apart so that you have a sense of privacy without having a long trek between the rooms and the main lodge (although some reviewers have found their walk to be long, we've been to other ecolodges in which the distances were much greater and more demanding). The rooms were spacious and comfortable, though lighting could have been better. Like most of the other reviewers we thought the meals were excellent and that the chef was truly masterful. We'd decided before arriving at the lodge that we would not take the off-site excursions offered because we felt they they were overpriced and thus we were looking forward to spending time on the hiking trails. We were especially pleased to have Andrey as our eco-concierge because he shared our deep interest in bird-watching (in fact he prepared the Lodge's bird list). He lives quite a way from the Lodge but came in extra early on two mornings to take us on birding tours. Unfortunately, those tours never materialized because of torrential downpours during which you would not want to be outside at all, not to mention trying to spot birds (and this was during the dry season!). We have been in cloud forests before so we were prepared for some rain, but not of this magnitude and duration. Clearly the Lodge cannot control the weather. However, if you were not there for spa treatments (and we were not), you're pretty much confined to your room during such weather. Undoubtedly our rating of the property would have been higher if the weather were more cooperative. However, it's hard for us to feel enthusiastic about this part of the trip, especially considering the high cost of staying at the Lodge. It's a risk you take in such climates; you have to decide for yourself whether you're prepared to take that risk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro