This small hillside lodge has just about everything going for it. The rooms, each individual cabins, are huge, wonderfully furnished, private, and have beautiful views. The food is very good and the staff could not be friendlier or more accomodating. The nature trail through the grounds is beautiful and the setting itself is grand.
All of that being said, there are just a few things that could improve this property. First, each cabin has a private hot tub -- wonderful, except that you have to turn it on 2 - 3 hours before using because, in the interest of being eco-friendly, the heating mechanism should not be kept on. I get it, really I do, but if you've been on a long hike, or out for a day of rafting or ziplining, you really don't want to wait three hours for the hot tub.
Second, the hotel would benefit greatly from a central swimming pool with some lounge chairs around it -- it doesn't have to be big and splashy, but with so few guests at any one time, it would be nice to have someplace outside to sit and read, sip a drink, and get to know the hotel's other guests.
Finally, one thing that visitors should know is that this property is really in the middle of nowhere, close to nothing. Although the property is quite large, there is only one real hiking trail. Typical Costa Rican activities such as horseback riding, ziplining, and rafting are far away and done at an adventure center that, while nice, is lacking the same grace and superior quality that the lodge provides.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-suite and private villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro