San Simian Eco Lodge
$7
Agoda.com
$51
$38
Hotel El Conquistador(Managua)(Great Value!)
$55
Hotel El Club(Granada)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsoutdoor bathroommangothe ownerinner tubeseco lodgehowler monkeystwo nightsmasaya volcanoceiling fanfish tacoshome basequiet spothot waternice breezelounge chairsdirt roada real treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I just returned Sunday from two weeks in Nicaragua and stayed four nights at San Simian - two the first week and then again the last two nights of the trip. The last night, we had the place to ourselves. Have stayed there the last three or four trips to Nicaragua. It is such a beautiful setting and so relaxing, yet centrally located. A great place to start and/or end a trip. The lakeside cabanas are comfortable, nicely furnished, and with outside showers. Comfortable hammocks and chairs are right out front of the cabinas. Always quiet and very tranquil there except for the sound of an occasional howler monkey or one of the many birds. We are birders, so we absolutely love it.

Only about 30 minutes from Granada, the temperatures are consistently cooler. No AC needed, as there is usually a cool breeze, and the ceiling fans are more than adequate. Beds are comfortable and I always get a great sleep, so I'm ready to rise-up at 5:30 to catch the sunrise, some birds, and an early swim. Just a few steps away for the bar and comfortable loungers by the lake. There are hammocks and chairs all over the place so you can relax all over the property.

The lake is just awesome - cool, refreshing and clean. There are kayaks and floats for use, and unlike most places, at no charge! There is a nice pier for sunbathing or launching your inner tube. The lake is quite deep, drops-off rapidly and is generally calm unless a thunderstorm kicks-up some waves. I'll say it again - that lake is awesome!

The meals are very good and there are a variety of offerings that can be ordered and taken up at the "restaurant" or down by the lake. Breakfast is included and is quite good - I always go for the traditional Nica. Plenty of options, meals are very reasonably priced, with nothing more than $10 on the menu. Have always found everything well prepared and fresh.

Daniel, the owner, is very hands-on, and is always around. He can arrange tours or reliable transportation with a local driver. He has very good knowledge of the area and the wildlife. Daniel has a great staff of ten, the majority of which has been there every visit I've made. They remember me from past visits. Everyone is kind and helpful in making your stay a good one. The guys down at the bar are quick about putting a cold Tona in your hand, getting your meal down to you, and keep the lounging area down by the lake square. Lucy, up in the kitchen, puts out some good eats. The housekeepers do a great job keeping your cabina tidy. Others are attending to the landscaping or whatever needs doing around there. I've stayed at some places where the staff just seems to go through the motions, with an uncaring attitude - not here, everyone seems to genuinely care about making your visit a good one. The lodge and staff are always very welcoming.

Every time I visit, Daniel has made some improvements to the lodge. This past visit, he was buffing-up some areas with new landscaping. He's not content on letting the place rest in it's laurels. San Simian will always be a must stop on my Nicaragua travels.

Room Tip: I'm partial to Pitaya and Sandia, closest to the lake and bar, but the other cabinas are just a few steps away.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We visited 2 times and couldn't think of any negative points. Great place, lovely swimming, great food, nice personal, and a great host who will help you, gives advise etc. Daniel thanks for having us at your great place

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but ask for the ones with lakevieuw
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is beautiful! Our cabin had the fanciest outdoor bathroom-- it looked like it belonged in Architectural Digest. The lake was wonderful to swim in with relaxing, warm water and lots of inner tubes for us to use. The breakfast was well prepared and the pina coladas were truly outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We wanted to avoid staying in Managua after our flight from the UK and this fitted the bill. We were safely picked up at the airport for $50 and spent four very pleasant days staying in 'Sandia' which is the nicest cabin as it has a direct view over the lake. Daniel the owner is an absolute treasure and he was very helpful with our onward travel arrangements. From San Simian we visited Granada, the white villages and Masaya Volcano. All in all an excellent stay in clean and comfortable surroundings. A must do!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bryncel
Reviewed July 30, 2013

San Simian was the best part of our trip. We liked it so much we shortened our trip to the Corn Islands so we could come back and stay again. I would recommend this place to anyone without reservations.

If we had to do it all over, I would book my entire first week here. It's central location makes it an ideal base to explore Granada, Masaya and the White Villages. They offer really nice tour of the artisanal ceramic/bamboo/furniture shops in White Villages, you could easily do it two days in a row.

The food was great. Free breakfast with an option to have hot coffee delivered to your cabana in the morning in a thermos. I would recommend the Filleta de Pescado (Fish Fillete with a white wine sauce), it was my favorite dinner. The greek salad is really good too, we had it with almost every meal.

The new owner has done an amazing job with renovations and service. He was very helpful and hands on with organizing taxis to and from the laguna. He personally took us on the tour of the White Villages.

Looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Mango has an amazing warm-water tub, best shower I had in the country.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple