The Peace Project Hostel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in La Laguna de Apoyo
See available hotels
Madera's Inn(Masaya)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewspublic beachlocal schoolnon profitfree kayaksgreat placewalking distancewarm showerrestaurant kitchenprivate room with a shared bathroomenglish teachersmall kitchenhowler monkeyslocal staffother travelersspanish lessonspool tablevolunteers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Peace Project for a few weeks while working as a volunteer in the after school program and as an assistant teacher at a local school. The dorm rooms in the hostel are very basic, but comfortable enough, and equipped with cubbies where you can lock up your things. The common area is extremely inviting, and was a great place to hang out and share stories with others in the evening. One of my favorite furniture additions was the hammocks everywhere. They're so comfortable, and perfect for an afternoon nap or cozying up with a book! The staff was also extremely friendly and helpful in pointing me out the right direction to neighboring attractions, like local bars, how to get to Granada or Masaya, and just in calling a taxi for me. Food is also delicious, and there's plenty of it! The hostel has immediate access to the laguna, which is a beautiful, deep, clear lake; perfect for a long afternoon swim. The best part was that all my costs staying at the hostel supported the after school program that the Peace Project hosts for neighborhood children, where they have different workshops in the arts, recycling, and English tutoring, in addition to other fun activities.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lully D
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I had the most amazing time at this hostel. Everyone there was friendly and easy going. Very reasonable costs. Good food and a very short walk down to the lagoon. They are doing great things at the project and run classes for the local kids three times a week. I was inspired to help out a little while I was there.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed July 28, 2013

They are right on the Laguna de Apoyo and boy, is that a sight to see! What a pretty lake! The scenery all around is really wonderful, and the staff will do whatever they can to help you with what you need.

If you're looking for a place in a city, this isn't for you, but I think it was worth it to stay a little bit further away. There is a bus that runs by three times a day, and otherwise taxis are pretty darn cheap! You can take a taxi to the bus stop at Puentecito for $5 or pay $10 to go all the way to Granada.

Great place to spend all day and evening...kayaking, swimming, hiking, walking, drinking, lying in a hammock...whatever! You can pay a small fee for home-cooked meals by local Nicas -- we had dinner once and a small lunch and they were great. Simple, but great. If you don't want that, bring your own food to cook there or go across the street. We ate grilled chicken and it was really juicy and much more delicious that we expected.

Not to mention they do great community projects. It seems that there are almost always volunteers staying there that are either helping at the nearby school or with day care.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gibbogirl5
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My friend and I sort of stumbled upon this gem on the laguna and had a great stay. The staff and volunteers were so friendly and helpful and we got to learn all about this amazing project. The dorm was very clean and the kitchen was probably the best that I've ever had at a hostel here in Central America. Loved this place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LRMTravels
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I have been traveling through Costa Rica & Nicaragua for several months, and we haven't found any other place quite like this. We immediately felt at home here! The staff's hospitality was very friendly (they will accommodate just about any need) and the location was ideal/convenient as well. It had a nice mix of the backpacker/travel feel yet not touristy. I would recommend this place to couples, families, and people that aren't seeking the party scene. Lots of peaceful evenings- an overall low-key vibe. We saw & heard more wildlife (howler monkeys, birds, frogs, squirrels, etc.) here than any other place we have stayed. Plus, by staying here you help out The Peace Project (an organization that supports the local community). Definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple