“A Hidden Gem”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Niedersteinbach
Hotel Restaurant Cheval Blanc
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Cheval Blanc for 2 nights in September. What a gem we found! The hotel is in a small village just a few kilometers from the German border. It is the ideal place to get away from the rat-race for a few days and to re-charge the batteries. Just outside the hotel you can start hiking in the forests to 4 castle ruins within 4 hours. Our room was perfectly clean and had all you need. But the best of course was the food. Simply outstanding and still at a reasonable price. And you notice the Cheval Blanc is a family business. There is always a very personal touch to the service and a smile from the staff. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Manfred M

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I've eaten at this hotel twice, the first time at a wedding banquet in 2010, and for dinner with three colleagues in 2012. On both occasions, I very much enjoyed the food. For the banquet, there was a seemingly nonstop flow of dishes for starter to dessert.

The most recent visit was a quiter affair, ordering straight from the menu. Again, the food was excellent. I had a steak carpatchio, whereas my colleagues had game and steak. Food was well prepared and served, and the staff were extremely friendly (although one of my colleagues is effectively a local and known to the staff -maybe this made a difference?)

The only downside was the cost. Dinner for 4 with a couple of nice bottles of wine was EUR 188. I think the price shock comes from me being Australian, and finding everything in Europe expensive, so price should not put people off from visiting.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank TheAstronomer
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We had a four day half-board package for Christmas - we had a thoroughly enjoyable and restful time and it was extremely good value for money. Despite being an extremely busy time for the hotel, we found the staff helpful and friendly. It exceeded our expectations both for accommodation - quiet, clean, and with fridge, wifi and safe everything we wanted - and dining - the quality, quantity and variety of the food was exceptional - overall excellent value and service.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet - go for the Villa (I can't say about the other rooms)
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AandJ2011
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a very nice hotel in a great setting in a valley surrounded by trees. The hotel is very well equipped and the rooms very nice. My only complaint ws that I had ordered a business stay package but confusion of languages meant that I was a la carte (in a separate restaurant). Nonetheless the restaurant and food were excellent. The only problem was that I was now charged more for the room alone than the whole package! However the meal was so good it was worth it. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We booked two nights at the Cheval Blanc on our way back from Italy to the UK with our two children (4 and 8) and were completely enchanted. We had an apartment room in the "Villa" with two bedrooms and a bathroom (no sharing a room with the children – brilliant!), which was perfect. The hotel underplays its child-friendliness online. There is so much for the children to do – table tennis, mini golf, garden chess, table football, and of course the pool. There is a big lawn for running around on, as well as a see-saw, slide, roundabout and swing. At dinner, the children were brought a little box of goodies to play with and their meals (from the Children's menu) were "proper" food – mini versions of the food adults like to eat. And delicious, to boot! The family were friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Breakfast was fantastic (no lunch needed!) and dinner for the adults simply yummy.

Niedersteinbach is about as sleepy a village as you can imagine, but beautiful with amazing forest walks.

We loved it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank FamilyoffourBristol
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed 1 night, on our trip from Switzerland to Holland. Niedersteinbach is away from the freeway but not difficult to find with nav. It's a very small village, no shops, 138 inhabitants, so is church, some farms, some houses and the hotel.

The hotel was very good, a little old fashioned French style. As we travelled with our 2 children we stayed in a separate building in what they called "the apartment" but it was more like a suite: 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Rooms were good: bathroom outdated but worked ok.

Lots to do for kids, like pig Arthur, sheep dogs Vanille and Whiskey, who seemed not very nice until you started to play catch with them. For the kids there is a small swimming pool with deck chairs (it was too cold so we haven't tried), table tennis, tennis and lots of room to play.

Restaurant (michelin bib gourmand) is very classic French, incl veal kidneys, snails, frog legs, the works. But the chef cooked very well and our onion soup and Lamb chops were perfect (as in never had such good lamb before!). Breakfast was very good, classic with croissants, baguettes, some cakes, boiled eggs yoghurt and fresh fruit. Coffee standard (no lattes or cappucino's) but good quality.

Other things to mention:
Plenty of parking space, large terrace outside (plastic chairs under trees and sunbrella's). Staff very nice: we spoke a mix of French and German to them. Scenery lush with hills and forest. Wifi available in one part of the main building.

I'd say a perfect place to stay for a couple of days if you like quiet.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suite ideal with kids (nr30)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank maximum75
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My friend and I stayed 1 night here on our recent 6 day motoring holiday from UK to Italy. The hotel is located in a small village in the far north of the scenic Alsace region of France.

We had the Red room in one of the new outlying annexes and it was an excellent spacious room with a huge balcony. Our only hitch was that I had a confirmed reservation for a twin bedded room and the Red room had a double. No problem: the sofa was converted to a comfortable large single bed whilst we were at dinner.

The evening dinner was first class (I had the menu with the Foie Gras and venison).

As we had many miles to cover the next day, we had an early start and decided to forego the € 11 p.p. breakfast as we were still full from the evening before.

I had found the hotel on the viamichelin website and I am definitely looking forward returning soon with my family.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank montywest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niedersteinbach
Auberge du Cheval Blanc
#1 of 5 in Niederbronn-Les-Bains
Grand Hotel Filippo
Grand Hotel Filippo
#3 of 5 in Niederbronn-Les-Bains

Been to Hotel Restaurant Cheval Blanc? Share your experiences!