“Gem in the peak districts”
Review of The Maynard

and 1 more site!
The Maynard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grindleford
London, United Kingdom
“Gem in the peak districts”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Even in the worst of the british weather this little Gem in the peak district was enough to bring a smile back to your face to avoid the weather.

Rooms are wonderfully appointed. The staff were friendly and very accommodating throughout our stay.

We eat in the pub restaurant which personally was a little disappointing, expensive for the amount of food and quality was not such to justify the price, however we went out to a local pub the second night and had larger better quality food for less price.

Stay here and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel. I am delighted that despite the weather you had such an enjoyable stay with us, we are lucky to be situated in an area with plenty of indoor activities as well as outdoor!

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us. We appreciate your comments and I will discuss them with the Head Chef as we are always looking to improve.

I am glad that the meal did not affect your overall stay and hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Hugh Skelton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We'd really recommend The Maynard as a classy place to stay if you are planning a trip to the Sheffield-end of the Peak District with walking and good food. We stayed on a Friday night in November and paid £115 for a standard double room with breakfast. The room itself was modern but comfy and well-appointed. We had a good night's sleep and it even had an up-to-date selection of good magazines! The only niggles were the slightly erratic shower and the fact that the room was a bit hot.

The hotel is opposite Grindleford railway station and close to a lot of great walking routes. The hotel very helpfully have written their own walking guides and have copies to give out. We only wanted something light to eat so chose to eat in the bar rather than restaurant. The service was still good and they did a great ploughman's and a fantastic selection of ice creams. Staff were friendly and helpful. Also the breakfast in the morning was excellent. The room itself we thought was on the pricey side but for the overall experience, with food included, we would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a hot water pipe running through the room, so that controls the temperature rather than a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nottingham27
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for your positive review on The Maynard. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and managed to take advantage of the walking guides and beautiful Peak District scenery.

I apologise about the temperature of the hotel, we always aim to keep this to at a comfortable level for our guests.

We will look forward to welcoming you to The Maynard again in the future,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I had our Wedding breakfast and Evening reception here a few weeks ago, plus our party all stayed the night, Kate the wedding planner was absolutely brilliant from the day we went to look round to the actual day itself, so patient and helpful. All the staff were fantastic, polite, helpful, the place was clean,warm and friendly. I truly had the Perfect Wedding Day that I had dreamt about thanks to the Maynard and its staff.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your lovely review on The Maynard. I am so glad that your wedding day was so perfect and that it all exceeded your expectations.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future! Perhaps for your 1st anniversary if not before.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've been a regular visitor to the Maynard since 1998 (my sister's wedding), we had our wedding reception here in 2003 and for 7 years afterwards we spent a week here in August for our wedding anniversary. It was always perfect in every way, even though the rooms were a little shabby and the plumbing was somtimes flaky.

Service and cleanliness took a dip after the refurbishment and declined every time we visited. Our last regular stay, in August 2010, prompted a poor review from my wife on TripAdvisor, due to the poor service and lack of cleanliness. We had avoided the Maynard since then.

We've just returned from a three day stay to celebrate my birthday, and I'm very happy to report that the Maynard is much improved from 3 years ago. The rooms are clean (and are cleaned every day!), the public rooms are warm and comfortable and also clean. The food is excellent and the staff (especially the junior members) are friendly, welcoming and attentive. The winter deals are, imho, very good value for money.
I am so glad the Maynard has got its mojo back!

Room Tip: The suite is fantastic, but Room 10 has just as good a view of the valley and is lovely.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Maynard. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable birthday stay with us and that you feel the hotel is once again back on form.

I hope we will be able to welcome you again in the New Year where we will once again have some amazing offers on!

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just had Sunday lunch today . I had the sea bass. It said i am quite sure a sea bass fillet on the menu. When it arrived i almost couldn't believe what was on my plate. Everyone had reasonable portions of roast beef but I had the smallest 2 pieces of fish i have ever seen at what is supposed to be a quality restaurant. I have had sea bass at numerous restaurants and i have have always had a decent sized fillet and in many cases the full fish. Here i had 2 tiny little pieces on a small mound of some kind of mashed potato. I literally had 4 bites and the main course was gone.Don't get me wrong, it tasted ok but there was simply nothing much to eat. I suggest you consider what you are serving regarding this dish because it was certainly not value for money at £25 and based on this I would never come back and have already told one party not to even consider going there.

The service was also very slow and couldn't understand why one party who came in about a half hour after us was already having dessert and we had not even been asked what we would like.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gregory L
MaynardHotel, Manager at The Maynard, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Maynard.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience and found the 3 courses for £25 not to be good value for money, for which may I offer my sincerest apologies.

I appreciate your comments on the speed of service and this is being addressed. The table you refer to chose not to have a starter which naturally resulted in their desserts being served before yours.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly in order to discuss your points further. My email address is hugh.skelton@fdgroup.com

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Lovely room, clean and tidy with very nice decor. Dog friendly, which was a real bonus. Very nice grounds to have a wander with the dogs. We had the most amazing evening meal, the food was divine. Breakfast was very good also. Plenty of off road parking. Friendly, helpful staff. Will definitely be visiting again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extremely complimentary review of the hotel.

I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the hotel being dog friendly - next time ensure to ask one of the staff to take a photo of him/her for our website and facebook pages.

It is always a pleasure to read that everything met a guests expectations and that you found the quality of the food and staff so high.

We are delighted you will be visiting again and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night as a birthday retreat from my wife. Stayed in a superior room (10) with fantastic views over the Hope valley. Food , service and hospitality were excellent with knowledgeable and friendly staff. Will stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for reviewing your birthday retreat here at The Maynard.

I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us and the staff looked after you. We are proud of our standard of service and it is always a delight to read that it has exceeded a guests expectations.

We will look forward to seeing you again - if not before then in the New Year!

Hugh Skelton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grindleford
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow
East Lodge Country House Hotel

Been to The Maynard? Share your experiences!