“Dreadful experience.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Normandy

Le Normandy
Ranked #8 of 21 Restaurants in Wissant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Dreadful experience.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We visited on 23 Jul 2013 as a party of 4. Although only 2pm we were told we had to sit outside as the restaurant was now closed. Two in the party decided to have the full seafood platter. This was both small in comparison to others I have seen and crab shell was empty of meat. We were told that we couldn't order dessert so we didn't bother with coffee either. Despite being told before we ordered that credit cards were accepted when it came to paying the bill the card was initially refused and we were told only cash was accepted. After a few minutes of insistence a card machine was miraculously produced. Avoid this place like the plaque.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank 2RTR_FearNaught

Shoreham by Sea, United Kingdom
“Excellent, well-presented French cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wissant is very much off the beaten track and the Normandy makes the detour worthwhile. The service is excellent and the food from the lunchtime menu was faultless.

• Visited June 2013
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Very traditional, very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had a really good lunch here earlier this month. Wissant is a pretty little town, the Hotel Normandy with its trad exterior fits right in. It’s equally traditional indoors with the bar leading on to a peaceful dining room with some nice antique furniture and a view of the town square. I had foie gras to start and pork for main course both of which were excellent, good quality ingredients very nicely cooked, my only criticism would be that the presentation and accompaniment of both dishes was slightly fussy. Being within spitting distance of the sea I really should have had some fish as while I was very happy with my lunch my brother’s fish soup looked amazing as did my Mum’s sole meuniere. You can’t blame a restaurant for your failure to order the right things and there was nothing else to complain about; good food, good wine, good service and a reasonable bill. A very traditional French dining experience and a very enjoyable one.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Food tastes good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I can understand why this place gets mixed reviews...the service is not exactly attentive or friendly but the food was very good. Go and try to enjoy a slightly bizarre experience at Le Normandie!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Oxenhope, United Kingdom
“Evening meal after a long drive north”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

As mentioned in the title, this was something of a treat following a long journey and a time of panic looking for accommodation. I opted for this restaurant ahead of the one in the hotel where I was staying because it seemed to be more popular.
Quite clearly this is a traditional French restaurant, quite formal, and the service was good from the outset. I had a pastis as an aperitif and chose a main course with a dessert. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the main which was fish. I was hoping for something outstanding, given that the prices weren't especially cheap. It was ok but nothing more.
However, the dessert, creme brûlée, which can so easily go wrong, was superb.
All together a meal that was adequate without being spectacular, but with a dessert that was delicious.

• Visited September 2012