“Very traditional, very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Normandy

Le Normandy
Ranked #8 of 21 Restaurants in Wissant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Very traditional, very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had a really good lunch here earlier this month. Wissant is a pretty little town, the Hotel Normandy with its trad exterior fits right in. It’s equally traditional indoors with the bar leading on to a peaceful dining room with some nice antique furniture and a view of the town square. I had foie gras to start and pork for main course both of which were excellent, good quality ingredients very nicely cooked, my only criticism would be that the presentation and accompaniment of both dishes was slightly fussy. Being within spitting distance of the sea I really should have had some fish as while I was very happy with my lunch my brother’s fish soup looked amazing as did my Mum’s sole meuniere. You can’t blame a restaurant for your failure to order the right things and there was nothing else to complain about; good food, good wine, good service and a reasonable bill. A very traditional French dining experience and a very enjoyable one.

• Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Food tastes good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I can understand why this place gets mixed reviews...the service is not exactly attentive or friendly but the food was very good. Go and try to enjoy a slightly bizarre experience at Le Normandie!

Oxenhope, United Kingdom
“Evening meal after a long drive north”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

As mentioned in the title, this was something of a treat following a long journey and a time of panic looking for accommodation. I opted for this restaurant ahead of the one in the hotel where I was staying because it seemed to be more popular.
Quite clearly this is a traditional French restaurant, quite formal, and the service was good from the outset. I had a pastis as an aperitif and chose a main course with a dessert. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the main which was fish. I was hoping for something outstanding, given that the prices weren't especially cheap. It was ok but nothing more.
However, the dessert, creme brûlée, which can so easily go wrong, was superb.
All together a meal that was adequate without being spectacular, but with a dessert that was delicious.

• Visited September 2012
Ashford, United Kingdom
“A pleasant meal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

OK - the place is a little old fashioned and service 'relaxed', but we had a perfectly pleasant meal when we dropped in without a reservation a week ago,
The waiter helped me to choose dairy-free options from the menu. No problem at all.
Don't go if you're in a hurry - just go with the flow and enjoy the tradition!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Matley54
Kalmthout, Belgium (Europe)
“Great food for very reasonable prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

The restaurant looks a bit old-fashioned, but we had a really great dinner. We took the menu for €28 which meant that you could choose a starter, a main course and a dessert. I had "assiette de fruits de mer" (seafood platter including oysters, shrimps, and different shellfish, all very fresh and delicious), followed by "coquilles Saint-Jacques" (scallops) with a superb risotto and green asparagus and then a delicious chocolate cake to finish. My friends' plates looked and tasted also great. If I ever return to Wissant (lovely little village with nice beaches btw), I'll book at Le Normandy!

• Visited August 2012