“A great weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Windsor, United Kingdom
“A great weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Weekend passed on to us by our son as his partner had to be admitted to A&E on the Thursday; my wife and I (in our eighties) arrived in the dark after a delayed journey (accident on the M25) to a lovely welcome at reception - my son had phoned and changed the reservation name. We had a ground-floor room and it was lovely, well equipped, good furniture, two chairs (unusual these days); bathroom large and clean with deep bath and separate shower.
Well-stocked service area - with real ground coffee in clever filter sachets.
Bed was large and comfortable with two pillows each (two were feather-filled)
We booked a table for early dinner when we booked in; wide-range menu, plenty of choice, promptly served by attentive young staff. Early to bed as we wanted to relax and read - excellent lighting. A good night's sleep.
Breakfast Saturday with a very wide selection of self-serve, hot food was hot and not dried up, good selection of cereals; good toast facilities. Reception provided a map of Cambridge which we visited on a lovely sunny (cold) day; it was very crowded with queues for all cafes and restaurants so we came back to Cambourne - a new town - and visited Morrisons, just across the road and bought some deli for our afternoon tea. Both tired so we chilled out in our room.
Sunday we had a lie-in and went for another super breakfast (08.00 till 11.00), checking out at 11.00 - the receptionist recognised us and asked if we had enjoyed Cambridge (which we had).
Summary: Excellent facilities, cheery and attentive staff at all levels. Only reason for not using spa facilities was our age and physical condition. Thanks to all staff for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Geoff S,
Thank you very much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read your fantastic review and will be sharing this with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

The rooms were good, the food above average standard q hotel fayre strangely! Staff excellent. Pool and spa area not too bad not the best ive seen in Q hotels. Spa treatments seemed overly quick. not a good location if you want to be near cambridge but we knew where the hotel was before booking and dint mind. The bar area is good with a seperate area to watch tv. The grounds are ok and plenty shops and supermarket nearby!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rustymonkey,
Many thanks for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for the kind words about the team and your experience. Hopefully we welcome you back shortly.
Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Myself and my wife stayed at the Cambridge Belfry in January. We stayed in the Butler Penthouse suite for Two nights. It was fantastic, we had dinner in the room, champagne and exceptional service with the porter looking after things for us, bringing my wife extra milk for the baby ect. Nothing was too much trouble and I was really impressed. Breakfast wasn't great but thats corporate hotels I suppose. Obviously there are much better restaurants in central Cambridge, but it depends what you want.

My company currently use De Vere for our business travel accommodation and I was looking to transfer to Q Hotels as an option so I booked in to check things out. It was really good. I liked it so looked into things, got set up with the ThankQ scene and even spoke to our events team re: conferencing.

Now the worst thing I have had from a hotel company like this EVER!

I had an emergency meeting in London last week, My wife decided to tag along with my young daughter and do some shopping whilst I was working. We left London at 4pm and got stuck in major traffic on the M25, by the time we hit Cambridge on the way back to Leeds, I was too tiered to continue driving. My wife looked on Laterooms and saw the hotel had rooms, so she went to the Q Hotels website directly, availability was still shown. The 3G signal was poor but we were only 3 miles from the hotel so I decided to drive up and book in on arrival. The rude individual on reception said "no we are full tonight" so I went online and saw the availability was still live. I showed him, he then looked in the system and said "Yes we do have a room, but it is unserviced, with no heating or bathroom and disabled facilities, you can have the room for £117" by this point it is 22:00. I said to him "You didn't have this attitude when we spent over £500 on a two day stay in the butler suite, a couple of weeks ago" He looked at me, looked back in his computer and ignored me.

Just shocking, obviously a crucial fail in customer service. It leaves you wondering why you have just spent so much money with a hotel, to be treated like dirt once the credit details are removed from their system!

I fear I will never trust any Q Hotel again!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank wbebb1975
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Wbebb 1975,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very concerned over the treatment you received when you arrived with us recently. I would really appreciate it if you could contact me direct at the hotel so that I may address this immediately. This is not what we strive to deliver, and as you mentioned from you previous enjoyable visit, not what the staff service deliver is either. You can either contact the hotel direct or email myself at cmarais@qhotels.co.uk. I look forward to hearing from you and getting you back to The Cambridge Belfry.
Chris Marais
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I am a business traveller and have a budget I have to stick to so normally this hotel is out of my price range. Then one day I spotted it in my range and booked it...excitedly. It looks pretty swanky and high class so I arrived expecting it to be a bit special. In fairness the receptionist was very pleasant but the experience left me a bit flat. Nothing stands out as worth the cost it would normally cost to stay here and as it's a bit out of the way was a disappointment. I've stayed at hotels with a similar level of service and room quality and paid less.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Daniel_Curtis,
Many thanks for your review. I was disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver the highest level of service and quality. I do hope you will give us another try in the near future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stay here regularly on business trips to Cambridge. The hotel is okay with good facilities (swimming pool, gym). Decent breakfast too. Not much to do in Cambourne though - this hotel clearly caters for conference guests.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Idomeitable,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you enjoy staying at the hotel and make use of our facilities. Look forward to having you stay with us again.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed for two nights with my husband. As always with Qhotels, staff were all friendly and helpful. The pool is a decent size with lots of chairs for lounging. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel but breakfast was fine (although there was quite a wait for eggs on the second day) - the hotel even has REAL toasters instead of those conveyor-belt things that never toast properly! Definitely a plus! The bedroom was clean and comfortable and the only real problem we had was a very annoying night-light thing that couldn't be turned off and was so bright it kept us awake. We ended up taking the key card out so we couldn't have any lights all night - navigating an unfamiliar bathroom in the dark at 3am was not much fun!! The hotel is further from Cambridge than I was expecting and in a very nondescript area. Unfortunately the hotel itself is as bland as Cambourne - a shame, because the other Qhtotels we've stayed in have each had their own character. Having said that, for a short break, bland is probably not too big a problem and we felt we got good value for money on our stay.

Dear LondonKinsey,
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Cambourne is a new community, but does have excellent links to Cambridge and has some exciting developments planned for the future. We have just recently changed our toasters and very pleased to hear you approve of them! I will pass on your kind words to the team. Hopefully we will see you again soon at the Cambridge Belfry.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just spent the weekend at the Belfry with my wife. Staff very efficient and friendly throughout the hotel. We used the swimming pool and steam room and found these well maintained. Good choice of food at breakfast but the hot food was lukewarm in the main. Need a better system for keeping the food hot. Had dinner in the restaurant on both nights. The brisket beef and sticky toffee pudding were so good I had to have them both nights! The prawn cocktail (first night) was the only let down - not much of it for the money. We both had an allowance of £26 for food each night and went slightly over. Wine is expensive but I suppose is par for the course. No house wine on offer from what I could see. Bedroom was comfortably and the powerful shower was a bonus. Used the park and ride to get in to Cambridge. Free parking and free for me on the bus with my bus pass!

Dear Nigel T,
Many thanks for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for the note on breakfast, I will sort this with my Chef. Sticky toffee pudding is my favourite dessert, and it is very popular! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,115 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!