“A very nice stay at Christmas”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reykjavík
“A very nice stay at Christmas”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel and it was a very comfortable. The room was nice and a pleasant surprise to have both shower and a bathtub. After a good walk around the area in the afternoon on boxing day we had relaxing hour in the lounge and to our surprise a FREE dinner in the evening, very tasty buffet, Oh boy that was good. Good breakfast in the morning followed by an hour in the well equipped gym. On the whole a very good stay and worth every penny.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Unnur H,
Many thanks for you kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your Christmas break with us, Christmas is such a special time of the year, and great to know how much you enjoyed it. I have passed on your kind words to the team, and I wish you fantastic 2014!
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Shoeburyness
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed over for the night here in order to attend a company Christmas party. Extremely impressed from start to finish; overwhelmingly friendly and welcoming staff; the event itself was great with good food and efficient service; comfortable large room (a bit tatty in places but not seriously so) and an excellent buffet breakfast. Was made to feel very welcome and really enjoyed it

Also, very good value.

Camborne is an odd place, probably a good place for the countryside but a very long way outside Cambridge,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Ian P,
Seasons greetings! I am very pleased you enjoyed your party night with us. I am passing on all your kind words to the team. We all look forward to welcoming you back next year for another good night at the Cambridge Belfry!
Kind regards, and a merry Christmas
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed for one night in November 2013 with the Q Hotels Romantic Package which proved to be good value for money. The hotel is in a slightly odd location outside of Cambridge but close enough as a base for a weekend away.

Our package included champagne and chocolates on arrival, three course dinner for two, breakfast in bed and late checkout (2pm) for around £160. It would have been useful to know when we checked in that the champagne and chocolates are delivered around 6pm, as we were planning to go to the spa and had to call reception to find out whether to expect them before or after. Either way would have been fine, would just have been nice to have known they were not forgotten.

Room was clean and warm with a comfortable bed - no complaints here. The food in the restaurant was up to the usual high standard of other Q Hotels with good service too. Room service breakfast was served with perfect portion sizes and more than enough tea and coffee. We used the pool and jacuzzi - both of which were nice although the pool was a little chilly.

Overall, another worthy Q Hotel and a good value stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Scott S,
Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your romantic break with us. You make a very good point with the delivery of the champagne and I will discuss this with my team. Once again I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and all of our facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back shortly.
Kind Regards,
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We booked a standard double room, but were given a disabled room, with out any explanation.
There is a problem here, as the bathrooms have no bath (understandably), and the sink is very low, to accommodate wheelchair users.
Also, our bathroom sink basin, had no waste plug, and the lever on the tap was missing.
This meant that we had to constantly have the tap running (Not the most convenient, or environmentally friendly)
I reported this to the receptionist, who offered no apology, but just that it would be put in the maintenance log.
Breakfast was good, but on the basis of my room, I wouldn't rush back

Room Tip: Ensure that you are not given a disable room (unless requested)
1 Thank magicgrden13
Dear Magicgarden13,
Thank you for your review. I am really sorry that on this occasion we have failed to deliver our usual high standard with regards to the bedroom. I have shared your feedback with the team so that we may address the concerns you have raised. On a more positive note I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast with us. I do hope you will re-consider and give The Cambridge Belfry another opportunity to show you how we look after our guests.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My stay was ok - nothing more. To be honest, the hotel is a bit tired and needs an injection of something new. It is not cheap and I expected more. I got a pretty good deal but the reception is ordinary - even tatty - and the room is ok but was a little grubby, needs freshening up and some little extras putting in place - like a trouser press and a bottle of water and.....and....... It is -regrettably - nothing more than a slightly upmarket Travel Lodge. This is not what I expected and all felt like it was run on the cheap. The staff are helpful enough; it is just that the product is disappointing.

Dinner and breakfast were good though. Well served, hot and good. Excellent staff in the Bridge restaurant too - helpful, cheerful and good representatives.

parking is good too. Good wide spaces and lots of room within reasonable walking distance.

Just a real shame that the hotel itself is not as good as I expected. If I stay in the area again - and i expect to quite often - I am much more likely to go for one of the many excellent b and b's within a few miles. The ones that I have used are much better quality accommodation and better value if a tad less convenient in terms of location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Martin T,
Many thanks for your review. I was disappointed to note your comments over reception and the bedrooms. I can assure you I will be addressing your concerns. I was pleased you enjoyed your meal. Our staff are our greatest asset and its very good to read your kind words about them.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Booked a spa afternoon through Groupon, never had been before but decided to book a spa afternoon as a treat for my mum and myself. on arrival we were told by an unfriendly member of staff that there would be swimming lessons for children whilst we was there and this would take up most of the pool baring in mind the pool was VERY small as it was. We also did not get offered a robe or slippers and did not get shown around when we had not been here before or told that the lockers would require a pound coin.. good job we had one on us!!

trying out the sauna was an experience, dodging the broken wood to not get splinters in our bums or nails!! steam room not working so couldn't experience that and the water fountain was warm water exactly what you needed to cool down. Also people walking round the pool with boots and trainers on watching there children swim unhygienic.
just glad that i didn't pay for a longer spa day with treatments included or an overnight stay with dinner like i was going to because i would be very disappointed due to the lack of spa facilities.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dingletravels,
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to note your comments regarding your recent spa day with us. I have discussed your concerns with my Leisure manager and we are addressing them, once again thank you for taking the time to let us know about it.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Two adults and two children. We stayed on a thurs and fri night in rooms 111 and 113 with a joining door. Rooms were quite good and spacious. Double bed in ours and twin beds in the kids. Large bathrooms. Our room was cold and had a plug in electric heater to use. The bathroom in 111 was chuffing freezing. Not what I would expect of a 4 star hotel. There were a few shabby bits here and there which hotel maintenance should be looking after asap.
Reception area is bland looking. Bar areas were ok with friendly helpful staff. The food was ok ish but was not very warm . On the friday night there was an xmas party to which the hotel had decided to locate it in the restaurant. We only found out when we went to the bar at 6pm. I had a feeling of a general lack of communication in the hotel.The restaurant was relocated to another function room which actually was quite good and we had a nice dinner. Breakfast was not bad but the sausages and bacon were not cooked enough. Again staff good.
Overall I would not recommend this hotel as a 4 star. The place seems to try to be something it isn't - a bit like Cambourne itself.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel..
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fat W
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Fat W,
Thank you for your kind review. I was disappointed that your stay did not meet all your expectations. However I am addressing your feedback with the team, and please accept my apologies for this. I am very happy that you found the team friendly and welcoming.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!