“Bang average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
London, United Kingdom
“Bang average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The staff were fine, but, wasn't made to feel overly special (perhaps I'm not!).

Ate in the restaurant on our first night and the food was dreadful, however, breaka was fine.

Rooms clean and the cleaning staff were very pleasant.

Overall, underwhelmed, but, certainly not bad.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Neil M,
Many thanks for you review. I will address your concern about the food with Chef personally. Pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay. Hopefully we will welcome you back in the near future.
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend away and seem to have stayed in a different hotel to the one others have reviewed! We had a number of issues;

1. On the Friday night our room had no heating due to an issue with the boiler. Whilst the manager dealt with this in a friendly manner and provided an extra duvet and electric heater we were still very cold in our room that night as the heater could not be left on during the night.

2. On both days breakfast was lukewarm at best. On the Sunday morning we arrived just as a fresh platter of bacon was brought out but it still was cold. Sausages, beans and eggs all cold on both days.

3. On the Saturday night we ate in the restaurant as part of our room rate, a meal that would have cost £26 a head. The prawn and avacado cocktail contained one piece of avacado and the rest was cucmber and lettuce with very few, tiny, watery prawns. The main course "hasselback" potatoes were inedible due to being rock hard as was the warm potato salad we had ordered as a side. The pork belly was however delicious. During the 1.5 hours we were in the restaurant the table next to us remained uncleared with salt, glasses and wine bottles left. We watched a member of staff walk past the table and ignore it on at least three occasions and when we raised it she told us she had been busy (although empty-handed on each occasion).

4. The swimming pool was so cold on the Saturday it meant we did not return on the Sunday which was a shame as it had been one of our reasons for booking.

I had high expectations of this hotel given that Q hotels came second in a recent poll. I have to say it was one of the worst I have stayed in and fell well below the standard we expected.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Julesprice73,
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies and I can assure you we are addressing these issues and will be contacting you personally shortly to update you. I trust once we have done this, in the near future we hope to welcome you back to the Cambridge Belfry.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. The hotel is easy to find and parking is free - always a bonus!
We received a warm welcome on check in from the friendly staff.
Our room was nice apart from being very cold despite the radiator being on. However there was an additional heater available for us to use.
My only other gripe is that in the bathroom there was a massive crack and damp patch plus a small hole in the ceiling which didn't look particularly inviting!
Food was excellent and good value for money.
Despite a few minor grumbles, a very nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear BeckyS24,
Many thanks for your kind review. Thank you for letting us know about your room, we have fixed the concerns you have raised. Pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Somersham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I booked a spa break with 2 friends for my 40th birthday, the package seemed good. £119 for 1hr spa treatment, light lunch, breakfast and a 3 course evening meal, in addition £10 off vouchers for wine and extra treatments.
On arrival we were greeted with a warm reception, our luggage was stored as we had arrived early, we made our way to the bar area to be greeted by Matthew, a very charming bar man with fantastic cocktail making skills. He was a constant feature in our stay and a welcome one at that. We had lunch after that, a light buffet lunch consisting of lasagne, roast chicken, fish dish hot sides and of course salad bar. My favourite was the lemon tart, even though I'm not partial to puddings. The buffet was good, just above average and more than my expectation given previous review. I am a qualified chef who has served the rich and famous so food is always a tricky one to please me when I'm out.
The spa treatments were next, very good, friendly girls. The facilities were average, I was pleased with my treatment.
We then hit the champagne we had taken with us, the hotel was more than happy to supply us with glasses and a nice bucket, they let us have use of a conference room for privacy, they came to check things were ok, the events manager a lovely chap half polish half Ukraine came to check all was ok, he had also bought us a bottle of house champagne as a gesture of good will and on behalf of the hotel for booking my birthday there. My friends and myself were gobsmacked. What a truly lovely thing. He was a fantastic chap, made us laugh and we felt so welcome,
Next was dinner, a la carte. The food was amazing, I had the brisket Wellington, to die for. The whole meal was fabulous both my friends and I were bowled over, big thanks to the chefs Phil and Eddie, brilliant. The restaurant staff were also fab, young Ollie is a true gem, his peoples kills so good. Such a polite and charming young man, everyone he spoke to was such a joy to him, so happy in his work. After that it was bed.
The rooms are average, they were clean facilities were good, my only issue was they traffic noise from other guests.
We hit breakfast in the morning, the buffet style was a good mix, can't fault it for what it was.
I had a truly fantastic stay, would highly recommend this hotel.
The staff make this place, they were all brilliant. My hat off to the Cambridge belfry. Thanks for making my birthday so memorable for all the right reasons. We will be back.

Dear Sonia H,
Great review! Thank you for your kind words about the whole team! I have shared this with them and personally thanked all those mentioned. It is fantastic to see the chef's get a special mention. Very pleased you enjoyed your birthday with us and we look forward to welcoming you back for the soon!
Bedford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We did a lot of research to get a great deal on a Spa weekend for 3 of us within easy reach. Although we had to pay a huge single supplement for one of the rooms, we still felt that the cost was worth it.
We arrived at the hotel and checked our bags and then went straight in to have our spa treatments. They were waiting for us and gave us a great welcome. The treatments were lovely and started the day off brilliantly. The pool area was very busy and there were no beds, but there was a relaxation room available. We managed to get to our rooms early and they were nice and clean and had everything you would need (except a fridge). The buffet lunch was really nice and the food in the evening was really good. Staff were helpful and friendly even though the restaurant was extremely busy. The breakfast was good and staff were lovely as we checked out. A really, really great weekend and I would go back and also recommend.

Room Tip: Top floor would ensure you were away from any disco noise, but the general noise level in the hotel...
Dear Nic_hipbedford,
Thank you for the kind review. I am very pleased you and your friends enjoyed your spa weekend with you. I will pass on your kind words to the team! We look forward very much to welcoming you back to The Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Warm Regards,
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

What can I say buy simply amazing and outstanding customer service throughout the hotel. The food was excellent and would definitely be on the same class as a top notch London restaurant. Great facilities and we even tried the gym which had various machines to use. The reception staff was very friendly and nothing was to much trouble for them. The hotel was clean and has ample parking spaces.

Only thing to mention if you go on a Saturday I would book a table as alot of people use the restaurant because it is so good.

5* for service and facilities.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the suites and lots of space to relax in.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear LindaB,
Many thanks for your great review and celebrating your anniversary with us! I have passed on your kind words to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards,
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a girls weekend away, 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast, lunch on the Friday, 3 half hour treatments, £200! Such good value. Very comfortable twin room, superb beds, nice to have a duvet - I'm easily pleased(!) - well equipped bathroom with separate shower cubicle. Staff all very pleasant, spa treatments great, food extremely good. Spent Saturday in Cambridge, via the park and ride, fab shops and obviously lots to see. Great central market and separate craft market. Big stores but lots of independent shops too! Looking forward to our next visit!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Emsie1967,
Many thanks for your kind review. Very pleased you enjoyed your spa break with us. The shopping in Cambridge is good and the transport connections are great. We very much look forward to welcoming you all back soon.
Kind Regards,
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!