“Can't fault it!”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Just completed our third visit to the Cambridge Belfry and every time we've been, our stay has been completely faultless. Stunning setting, beautiful facilities, lovely, attentive staff, spacious and comfortable rooms; we enjoyed ourselves so much this visit that we ended up booking another night spur-of-the-moment! The spa can unfortunately get rather busy, but having popped down late on a very busy, fully booked Saturday morning the staff still managed to squeeze myself and my boyfriend in for a treatment each, and we still at some points had the pool and jacuzzi to ourselves! Our only negative was the state of the male changing rooms, which I was informed were not particularly clean, although as previously said we did visit during peak times. I didn't happen to notice this problem with the female changing rooms, although did notice that the floors did get very, very wet making it difficult to change. The rest of the hotel was spotless though!

The restaurant and bar are lovely, both serving beautiful and well portioned food, although if you do get bored or decided to try something else (Our booking for the second night was too short notice to include dinner!) we would recommend the Monkfield Arms pub across the road next to Morrisons which, although not quite as good quality as the hotel, is very good value for money. If you do get the dinner inclusive deal the menu is very extensive with each guest being allowed £26 each, anything above which will be charged to your room. This amount however easily allows you a 3 course meal if you fancy one so can't see this being a problem for many. This amount doesn't include drinks however, which can be quite pricy, especially spirits, with a vodka and lemonade costing almost £5 a drink!

Our only other problem was with the bed, which is completely personal preference as we both strongly dislike hard beds! Other than this the Belfry really is excellent, we would definitely highly recommend it and will certainly be returning ourselves for the fourth time!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Michelle M,
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I am delighted to hear you had such a good time with us. Your particular praise for the team is much appreciated and It is great to hear they made such a positive impression on you. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just had two night stay here with friends, our 3rd time away in a Q Hotel and we were not disappointed. Although a fairly large hotel, the service is very good, excellent staff at dinner and breakfast and very friendly throughout the hotel.

Spa good - unfortunately the Jacuzzi was out of order on the Friday, but luckily working again on the Saturday so relieved at that! Not too busy even though there were a lot of girls away on spa days/weekends.

The restaurant lovely - very good meal included in the weekend package, allowance of £26 per person for 3 courses which is plenty. Drinks fairly expensive, but no more than the average hotel. Breakfast good - although quite busy and we had to wait on Sunday to be seated although only for about 5 minutes and had to wait for our breakfast to be cooked to order, but didn't mind as it was worth the wait - poached eggs on toast for two of us and breakfast omelette for the other two.

Would stay at a Q hotel again - this was very near to the park and ride for the town centre, enjoyed a shopping trip on the Saturday, very nice shopping centre (Grand Arcade).

Only problem with the rooms were that they are a little on the cool side!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear NorthantsAquababe,
Thank you for your kind review, and taking the time to write to it. I am really pleased that the hotel and team in particular made such a positive impression on you. They will be very pleased with the feedback. Glad you enjoyed the shopping and hopefully we will see you again soon.
Regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed in this hotel at the end of October in a Junior Suite.
As an overview we can say that this is a superb hotel. Staff, from Reception to Bar and Restaurant as well as Spa are welcoming, friendly and knowledgable.
The room was spacious and well appointed with comfortable beds as well as a good sized bathroom.
Food was superb at both Dinner and breakfast with a good varied menu.
We had a room close to the lift which we could hear a bit during the day however this wasn't obtrusive and the closing of the lift between 23.30 and 6.30 every day ensured that we had no disturbance at night.
The only change we could suggest is that keys are provided for the lockable drawers in the room for times that need to be kept secure.
This is the first time we have stayed at a Q hotel and based upon this stay we would definitely recommend them and this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

DavidAnnePage

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review. I will look into your comment about the drawer and see what we can do.
Hopefully we will have the pleasure in looking after you again soon.
Kind Regards

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed on our Breakaway membership for 2 nights the weekend 1-3 November in order to do some Christmas shopping in Cambridge. Check in was welcoming & efficient and our room was spacious, and very quiet enabling us to have two good night’s sleep.

Breakfast was lovely both mornings with food being regularly replenished by the hard-working staff of this hotel. They also do a very good job of trying to keep track of guests even though some choose to waltz straight past the desk without waiting for staff to check them in and show them to a table!

Dinner was a lovely relaxing affair on both evenings. The dining staff are lovely, so warm & friendly and work really well as a team. A big thank you to Chef, who made sure my favourite dessert, Lemon Posset, was back on the menu for our stay – it was delicious!

Checkout was friendly & efficient and we hope to be back to this particular hotel in February 2014. Q hotels have become our hotel chain of choice as they give consistently good service, have friendly staff and live up to our 4* expectations!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NorthamptonRicho

Thank you for the lovely review, I will share it with the team, who i know will be delighted by your comments.
We look forward to seeing you in February, until then have a wonderful festive season.
Take care

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed for two nights, but only used the hotel for sleeping, breakfast and a few hours working in my room. All were excellent - comfortable beds in a quiet room, the buffet breakfast was good, and the free wifi made working in my room easy and convenient.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JJRT_travels

Dear JJRT_travels

Great review, thank you. Pleased to know that we fulfilled your needs.
i look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a B&B basis. We had a superior room which was very comfortable and well furnished. The bath/shower room was also a good size. The buffet breakfast offered a good selection of hot and cold food although on the first morning there was a shortage of some items towards the end of the breakfast period. This did coincide with quite a few people arriving for breakfast. The second day was much better. Over all I was very pleased with the breakfast on offer. One piece of advice - don't put bread through the toaster twice.

We ate dinner in the restaurant on our first night. Our meals were well presented and, although mine should/could have been hotter, they were very tasty. Starters, drinks and mains cost just over £50. Surprised, though, that none of the staff asked how was our meal

We didn't use the gym but did use the pool etc. Towels were provided, which is always welcome, but the changing rooms are a little on the small side. The pool isn't large but fine for a leisurely swim.

Although the hotel is a few miles from Cambridge and other urban areas it is quite nicely situated close to a main road (noise not an issue). I think the location is very good for the hotel.

Most impressed with the reception and leisure facility staff - very personable.

The bottom lines is would I stay there again? Most certainly.

Room Tip: Our first night here coincided with the stormy weather on Sunday/Monday (27/28) October. We didn'...

Dear MartinJL

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and i will share the points you make with the team.
I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I took half a day holiday on Monday especially to make use of the spa facilities at the Cambridge Belfry. I was disappointed to discover that the spa was absolutely packed with people and unexpectedly noisy. The swimming pool was unusable because there was an aerobic class taking place (with loud music and a teacher screaming orders to participants). I was specifically asked to get out of the pool because the class had started. In the afternoon, they even have children's swimming lessons. Basically, the spa was being used just like council facilities.

There was a problem with the jacuzzi when I was there too so for a while, the only usable facilities were the steam room and sauna (of course, they were already packed). When I complained, I was told I could get a complimentary ticket to come back. But why would I want to come back to what was the worse spa I had ever gone to?

The whole place is un-hygienic. People walk with dirty shoes across part of the spa to access the changing facilities - which themselves are dirty. The towels are brown (easier to cover up dirt that way).

And when I went into the relaxation room to make myself a cup of tea, I found that there was no hot water available. Charming!

After the spa experience, I used the cafe area. The staff there was professional and very pleasant. Shame about the dirt on the carpet round some tables. Seems like cleanliness is not their forte.

Most disappointing of all was to have my green fleece scarf stolen. I realised I had left it at the hotel and went back the next day but I was told that it hadn't been handed in at the main reception, or at the bar, or spa reception. I couldn't quite believe that someone (staff or customer!) would steal a scarf...I'm still baffled.

1  Thank Laila_gl

Dear Laila_gl

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us, and i will share your comments with the team. Half term is a very busy time for us and as a Leisure & Spa we do offer fitness lessons and indeed swimming lessons. If you should decide to try us again, please check with the club, to ensure that these activities do not spoil your enjoyment.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!