“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Horley, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed in this hotel at the end of October in a Junior Suite.
As an overview we can say that this is a superb hotel. Staff, from Reception to Bar and Restaurant as well as Spa are welcoming, friendly and knowledgable.
The room was spacious and well appointed with comfortable beds as well as a good sized bathroom.
Food was superb at both Dinner and breakfast with a good varied menu.
We had a room close to the lift which we could hear a bit during the day however this wasn't obtrusive and the closing of the lift between 23.30 and 6.30 every day ensured that we had no disturbance at night.
The only change we could suggest is that keys are provided for the lockable drawers in the room for times that need to be kept secure.
This is the first time we have stayed at a Q hotel and based upon this stay we would definitely recommend them and this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
DavidAnnePage

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review. I will look into your comment about the drawer and see what we can do.
Hopefully we will have the pleasure in looking after you again soon.
Kind Regards
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed on our Breakaway membership for 2 nights the weekend 1-3 November in order to do some Christmas shopping in Cambridge. Check in was welcoming & efficient and our room was spacious, and very quiet enabling us to have two good night’s sleep.

Breakfast was lovely both mornings with food being regularly replenished by the hard-working staff of this hotel. They also do a very good job of trying to keep track of guests even though some choose to waltz straight past the desk without waiting for staff to check them in and show them to a table!

Dinner was a lovely relaxing affair on both evenings. The dining staff are lovely, so warm & friendly and work really well as a team. A big thank you to Chef, who made sure my favourite dessert, Lemon Posset, was back on the menu for our stay – it was delicious!

Checkout was friendly & efficient and we hope to be back to this particular hotel in February 2014. Q hotels have become our hotel chain of choice as they give consistently good service, have friendly staff and live up to our 4* expectations!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NorthamptonRicho

Thank you for the lovely review, I will share it with the team, who i know will be delighted by your comments.
We look forward to seeing you in February, until then have a wonderful festive season.
Take care
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed for two nights, but only used the hotel for sleeping, breakfast and a few hours working in my room. All were excellent - comfortable beds in a quiet room, the buffet breakfast was good, and the free wifi made working in my room easy and convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JJRT_travels
Dear JJRT_travels

Great review, thank you. Pleased to know that we fulfilled your needs.
i look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a B&B basis. We had a superior room which was very comfortable and well furnished. The bath/shower room was also a good size. The buffet breakfast offered a good selection of hot and cold food although on the first morning there was a shortage of some items towards the end of the breakfast period. This did coincide with quite a few people arriving for breakfast. The second day was much better. Over all I was very pleased with the breakfast on offer. One piece of advice - don't put bread through the toaster twice.

We ate dinner in the restaurant on our first night. Our meals were well presented and, although mine should/could have been hotter, they were very tasty. Starters, drinks and mains cost just over £50. Surprised, though, that none of the staff asked how was our meal

We didn't use the gym but did use the pool etc. Towels were provided, which is always welcome, but the changing rooms are a little on the small side. The pool isn't large but fine for a leisurely swim.

Although the hotel is a few miles from Cambridge and other urban areas it is quite nicely situated close to a main road (noise not an issue). I think the location is very good for the hotel.

Most impressed with the reception and leisure facility staff - very personable.

The bottom lines is would I stay there again? Most certainly.

Room Tip: Our first night here coincided with the stormy weather on Sunday/Monday (27/28) October. We didn'...
Dear MartinJL

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and i will share the points you make with the team.
I hope we will see you again soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I took half a day holiday on Monday especially to make use of the spa facilities at the Cambridge Belfry. I was disappointed to discover that the spa was absolutely packed with people and unexpectedly noisy. The swimming pool was unusable because there was an aerobic class taking place (with loud music and a teacher screaming orders to participants). I was specifically asked to get out of the pool because the class had started. In the afternoon, they even have children's swimming lessons. Basically, the spa was being used just like council facilities.

There was a problem with the jacuzzi when I was there too so for a while, the only usable facilities were the steam room and sauna (of course, they were already packed). When I complained, I was told I could get a complimentary ticket to come back. But why would I want to come back to what was the worse spa I had ever gone to?

The whole place is un-hygienic. People walk with dirty shoes across part of the spa to access the changing facilities - which themselves are dirty. The towels are brown (easier to cover up dirt that way).

And when I went into the relaxation room to make myself a cup of tea, I found that there was no hot water available. Charming!

After the spa experience, I used the cafe area. The staff there was professional and very pleasant. Shame about the dirt on the carpet round some tables. Seems like cleanliness is not their forte.

Most disappointing of all was to have my green fleece scarf stolen. I realised I had left it at the hotel and went back the next day but I was told that it hadn't been handed in at the main reception, or at the bar, or spa reception. I couldn't quite believe that someone (staff or customer!) would steal a scarf...I'm still baffled.

1 Thank Laila_gl
Dear Laila_gl

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us, and i will share your comments with the team. Half term is a very busy time for us and as a Leisure & Spa we do offer fitness lessons and indeed swimming lessons. If you should decide to try us again, please check with the club, to ensure that these activities do not spoil your enjoyment.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I took my mum for a 2 day break and this hotel did not disappoint, welcoming staff, good room and lovely food in the restaurant. We had a fab break, used the pool and gym. The scones were lovely too, baked to order!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear khoopr

Lovely review, thank you. I must admit to being a little partial to the scones as well. Give our regards to your Mother and we look forward to seeing you again one day.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

myself and 5 girls all went to the belfry to celbrate my big birthday we got a fantastic deal the rooms were really nice the food was good especially the buffet lunch and the breakfasts we all enjoyed our treatments the swimming pool not the largest but plenty of room the jacuzzi was to die for i did pop in the steam room and sauna but just chilling waswhat i came for the reaxation room was good i walked through the gym which looked fine but didnt try it the staff was amazing i have stayed all over the world and i can honestly say the staff here were the best so polite and helpful would i go back already sorting a date

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear maureen o

Thank you for your review and a belated Happy Birthday. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for mentioning the team in such a positive way.
We look forward to seeing you again, soon i hope.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,115 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!