“Very attentive and really well looked after”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have just come home from a spa break at the Belfry- We went for our friends 40th birthday.
After telling reception staff on arrival the managers arranged for us to have Pimms on our table at lunch ( which was also vey nice) the bar staff all waited on us and were very friendly with a good attitude.
Our Spa treatments were fantastic and yet again treated very well and the massage I had was one of the best ive had, and I have been for quite a few over the years.
The hotel rooms were very clean, even though they did forget to put towels in our room and only realised omce showering!
Overall this was a really good hotel and Spa and will definately visit again, well run and a good team of people who were all happy xx

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Alexmad04

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and i will share your comments with my team.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Cambridge belfry for an overnight stay and a spa break as a birthday surprise from my fiance, and was left rather disgusted by the trip to the Cambridge Belfry hotel.

To start with I was unimpressed by not being told about the work going on to the men's changing rooms at the spa. This resulted in my fiancé having to get changed in a room at the opposite end of the hotel from the spa, and having to walk a long distance through the hotel in a dressing gown and slippers past many businessmen, and having to leave his possessions behind reception, as there were no storage facilities available. The works being carried out were also quite visual, with the workmen carrying equipment through the spa, and making loud noises. I can understand that refurbishment is required, but i believe that it is only fair to warn guests of this before taking their money. The ongoing work ruined the relaxing atmosphere that should be in a spa, and also made me feel quite uncomfortable, as the workmen kept staring/ogling the female guests in swimwear.

Be warned before you go, as Q Hotels probably won't tell you, that there were also children's swim classes going on in the afternoon with half of the pool cordoned off, and kids jumping into the pool and screaming for well over three hours, which made the pool a no go area. Seeing the amount of children attending and the structured time slots lead me to believe this is an ongoing daily/weekly event.

I decided to book in for a couple of spa treatments whilst at the hotel, and had a back massage with face, neck and scalp treatment. After explaining to the person booking the treatment on the spa reception, and also the masseuse that i have sensitive skin, I was assured that the products used would be ok, and were designed for this very purpose. Therefore I was quite surprised and distressed, that on the day, and still two months later that I am still suffering from the painful burns to my skin and scalp.

I also decided, as a birthday treat, to have a file and polish for toes and another treatment that should have included foot massage and thermal socks but didn't. Each of these treatments should have been twenty minutes long, resulting in fourty minutes overall, but yet I was out in twenty minutes. The file and polish given was very shoddy, with my toenails left at odd angles and differing lengths. The polish applied was also of a terrible quality which I believe was down to the technician rushing. The end finish had visible streaks where the technician had added touch up blobs of paint. This is by far the worst pedicure i have ever had and the paint had come off within a couple of days. When we went to the spa reception to complain on the day, I was told that someone would be in touch during our stay to arrange another pedicure, but this didn't happen.

My fiancé and I stayed overnight whilst there and we're disgusted by the robes in the room, as these were filthy and appeared to have fecal matter on them.

I have since been in contact with Q Hotels to make a formal complaint over the issues faced during our stay, and have been passed around several departments, with the current spa manager of this hotel either not responding to e-mails or making promises that are never followed up.

Overall rather than the visit to the Cambridge Belfry hotel and spa being one of relaxation, it was stressful and is an ongoing painful experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank g0ldil0cks_23
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We've been here before 3 years ago and the hotel was great then and it is now. The lady at the front desk was very helpful along with one of the managers - Laura I think her name was. We managed to get interlocking rooms. Rooms were spotless and spacious.

Bar staff - Naomi was fantastic, she really looked after us. Our friend was celebrating her 40th and we had some nice touches like free Pimms at lunch. Adam, one of the managers was also very good.

Food - we had lunch, dinner and breakfast - all lovely. The steak at dinner was outstanding.

Spa - we were not impressed when we went 3 years ago, however, this time was AMAZING - all 6 said how good the massages were. The spa team were really lovely and very attentive. They even gave our birthday girl some little treats.

Overall a great stay, we have NOT returned refreshed however, all have VERY bad hangovers from the amount of cocktails and beer we consumed!! A GREAT time. Thank you to everyone at the Belfry.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Birchy76

A very kind review, thank you. I will share your comment with the team, who i know will be delighted. Lets hope the headache fades quickly.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed here for just one night before a meeting. the room was clean and very well appointed with plenty of light. The bathroom was spotless and had a separate shower in addition to the bath. The floor stayed dry- unusual for hotels! The plugs, mirrors and chair were all in the right place to do my hair- unheard of! Matress was the only thing I couldn't give full marks for, but I still got a very good nights sleep. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast excellent. Meeting room and lunch very good. The wildlife garden outside was really pleasant. Couldn't fault it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Frances421

Thank you for your kind review, good to see that you got the chance to enjoy your surroundings as well be on business.
I will share your kind remarks with the team.
Once again thank you for your comments

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked this hotel as it had some good write ups and looked the best place in the local area. There is nothing specially wrong with the hotel. It's a reasonably modern building that is mostly well maintained. Having said that plug sockets in our room were loose and needed a good whack to get a phone charge working,the complimentary water in the room obviously hadn't been used for some months as the bottles were dirty and stuck to the shelf. The mini bar fridge was missing from the room and the sitting room had what can only be described as an army camp bed stuck in the middle making it unusable.

The hotel staff were helpful but didn't explain that there was a minimum charge for local cabs of £18.00 each way. Had I known this I wouldn't have got in it.

All in all the hotel is a letdown and definately not worth their pretty hefty tariffs. Not recommended.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kay G

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that you don't appear to have enjoyed yourself as much as you had hoped. I will ask maintenance to check the socket in your room. Like many hotel companies, we do not supply mini bars in the rooms, however we will put a fridge in the room if asked, particularly for families with young children.
Taxi's are an expensive option to visit Cambridge center and we would always advice the park and ride or the bus, which runs every 20 mins. Parking in Cambridge can be as expensive as a taxi.
I do hope you will return one day but thank you for your comments

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Used the hotel for a business trip this week. The staff were friendly and attentive without exception so I can't fault the service.

My room was quite dark and gloomy and the lighting wasn't really adequate to brighten it up. The bed was a bit too soft for my liking but a reasonable compromise I suppose.

The bathroom was in need of renovation, plenty of limescale and mildew present in the shower area. The shower itself though was about the most powerful I've ever been in, like being hit with a water cannon! Ideal after a day in the car and very refreshing.

Had a meal in the bar - fish and chips. It was tasty and good quality but too expensive at £13.

Breakfast was good quality and there was a good selection, and checkout was quick and hassle free.

I'd go again but would look for a newer hotel first I think and try to find a more modern place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jeremy H

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the team. Room decor and colour is a personal thing but there should not be lime scale in the shower and i will ask housekeeping to investigate immediately.
Mike Evans.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked a spa break as a surprise for my husband as it was our 4 yr anniversary. I picked the Cambridge Belfry as it was fairly near to us and it was the first time we have left our young children overnight. Upon arrival only 1 clerk was working who was checking in a large hen party (they were all paying individually) so took me 20 minutes to get served.. I then got told that we had missed our all inclusive lunch, but i had received an email 2 days before our arrival to state we could not check in until 3pm so presumed our lunch would be on the 2nd day, so eventually after numerous phone calls they did swap my lunch to the next day. Our room was a Superior double and was ok (bathroom was lovely) it was clean and had a plasma tv. We went to the spa and had to hunt down our dressing gowns and was told that due to an order being incorrect we had no slippers - so had to go to the spa wearing trainers for the weekend - uncomfortable and unclean!! The steam room was broken both days we were there also the ladies toilet/changing rooms obviously had some plumbing problems as the smell was unbearable. Our all inclusive treatments at the spa were amazing and really enjoyable. The food at this hotel was of a good standard and plentiful. Quite a disappointing stay especially as it is a real rarity that we get to do things like this as we have a young family and £230 is something I had to save over a period of time to go.

• Stayed: May 2013
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Donna M

Many thanks for your review, we did as you say, have a number of technical difficulties over this period for which i apologise, I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the hotel, at your convenience.
Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!