“Two good stays”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Two good stays”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had two long weekends for business at the end of January/beginning of February. Comfortable bed, reliable broadband, and (on dinner, b&b rate) generous meal allowance giving access to good food.

Four points I would raise with the hotel (and did on their online survey!):

1. Litter out in the car park area (and hotel litter that has blown over their gates towards the lake) needs attention.

2. Friendliness depends on who is on duty! Some of the reception staff might have made me turn away!

3. Some breakfast staff were better than others. One morning I was just waiting to be shouted at (because they forgot my coffee); also, watching two overseas waitresses talking about the guests in their own language made me glad to be a polite guest who got a smile from them (they forgot that we might not know their language, but they still have body language!).

4. I was in the hotel for the 2012 snow and again for the 2013 snow. I might have expected more of the paths/parking areas to be gritted/salted.

Overall, I am rating the hotel well, simply because the vast majority of staff have been super throughout.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear OckhamsRazor

Thank you for your review. I will share your comments with my team and take appropriate action where necessary. I would say that litter you refer to as being blown on to the lake is mainly from neighboring business and although the lake does not belong to us, we do however litter pick the entire area as part of our commitment to the local community on a regular basis. I will look at increasing the frequency.
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Was warmly greeted, and found the room spotless and comfortable, made a reservation for dinner and the food was gorgeous, had a steak that just melted in your mouth! had a lovely sleep up until 4.30am when people start leaving for work getting up ect the doors are sooo heavy and bang waking you up everytime
but getting up for breakfast was lovely, best breakfast ive had and very well presented service again was lovely

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vikkitee92
Dear Vikki-Lynn S

Thank you for your recent review, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into the comments made with regard to the doors to see if there is anything that can be done but in the meantime thank you.
kind regards
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I asked for a quiet room but found myself opposite the stairs and lift. Within minutes I was disturbed by noise from the lift informing me and lift passengers which floor they were on and promptly asked to move. Reception staff were great moving me within 20 minutes to a quieter room round the corner. The room was lovely however the matress and pillows were too hard for my liking. I normally sleep very well but found myself awake every night until around 1 or 2am. I suggest memory foam matress toppers and a choice of pillow would be nice. Hotel cleanliness, food, facilities and service was excellent. Colleagues staying in rooms on the 3rd floor complained that the heating in their rooms did not work and dispite changes to radiator valves they were cold. Afetr staying from 3rd to the 7th Feb I was glad to get home and catch up on my sleep. Finally feeling myself. Next time I will take my blow up bed and a sleeping bag.

Room Tip: Keep away from lift and stairwell. Lift & foot traffic may keep you awake.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Robert C

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm pleased to note that we acted quickly to change your room to your satisfaction. With regard to the pillows, just let us know when you next stay and I will make sure we put some duck down ones in the room, because many people seem to be allergic now days, we tend to use the non - allergic pillows as the first choice for the rooms.
Kessingland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have just had a spa break with a group of 10 ladies, we all had a fantastic time. Our room was lovely, clean, great shower and seperate bath. soft beds and pillows. The service and the food in the restaurant was fantastic, this includes the comments from three of the ladies who teach Hotel Catering in College. The bar staff are superb especially Camaron, he coped with the teasing from 10 ladies so well. (Lovely young man!!:-) The spa treatments were lovely and relaxing we had the 50 min spa ritual.There was a muddle with our spa bookings but I have to say the Hotel manager dealt with this so well by offering complimentry wine with our dinner and cocktails and the spa staff worked later to fit us all in on the day we requested. The only negative thing is some of our group would have liked more treatments but the staff were so fully booked that we could not have any more time slots. New white bath robes for the spa and more loungers or chairs round the pool would be nice. But on the whole this Hotel is superb in everything it offers and we would go again.So I shall be looking out for deals again as its such good value for money. The reception was very professional and all the staff were all happy and polite. So well done to the Belfrey and Thank you for making our birthday treats so wonderfull.

Room Tip: We had five twin rooms and they were all good on level 2 floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Linda118118

I will pas on your regards to the team and let Camaren know that he got a special mention. Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Booked for mums 60th birthday, we had a lovely stay, very relaxing with good facilities, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and our favourite the relax room! Mum and I had a pedicure and my sister had a facial which were very good. Lovely lunch and dinner, our room was adequate for what we wanted and had use of robe and slippers. There was a wedding on the sat night and it was very noisy and all the guests were in the main bar even though they had their own bar in the function room?! we complained and they gave us a free drink before we went home. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lorry72003
Dear lorry72003

Thank you for your kind review, I'm pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that Mum had a good time too.
We look forward to welcoming you both back one day.
Colchester
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I think the previous reviewer must have been unlucky, as we found the staff amazingly friendly and always on hand to help. My husband was on a 2-day conference so I was at a loose end and spent a lot of time in the bar. The man I presume was the manager was always around and the bar staff regularly came over to ask if I wanted another drink. I have to say that all members of staff, from housekeeping to the receptionist, could not have been more helpful, respectful or friendly. We were offered a disabled room, without asking, as I had my arm in a sling and the receptionist thought it might be easier for me with grab-rails in the bath. The room was very large and the bed clean and comfortable. I did not go in the spa, so cannot comment on that area. However, breakfast staff were great, getting us vegetarian sausages and hot chocolate even though it wasn't included in the buffet. Similarly, at lunch, they cooked vegan food especially for our friend. My husband said the conference catering was lovely and plentiful. There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel, so I spent the two days working. The atmosphere in the bar and lounge areas was calm and comfortable, with no distractions, so I was able to get a lot done. I have come home very relaxed and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a business hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Jane K

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thought on your recent stay. I will pass on the comments to them all and I know they will be delighted to read them.
I hope you find the opportunity to visit us again soon.
Irthlingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Do not book this hotel if you want to be served a drink or have a bar meal without waiting an hour!
i had to go to reception to ask them if they could "find" the bar staff-turns out they where in the kitchen eating!--as long as they had there meal!!!

4 star service this is not!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete W
Dear Pete W

Many thanks for your review, I'm sorry that you encountered poor service from our bar team. I will discuss the matter with my Operations Manager and identify which members of the team where actually working that evening, to see if further training is necessary. This is not our usual standard as you can see from the many positive reviews they receive but I will investigate.
Thank you for the feedback.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#12 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!