“A mixed bag” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The room was excellent could find no fault there spotlessly clean. Had booked a table in the restaurant . We were shown to our table by a very polite young man the menus were already there. He advised us our waiter would be over shortly and tell us about the specials on the menu at this point we seem to be abandoned . The waiter did arrive eventually we asked him about any specials on the menu but was told there were none . So we ordered of the menu starters arrived everything going reasonably well at this point. Then the mains arrived there were four of us three meals were ok but my husbands steak was stone cold. We told the waitress and she took it away by the time it was returned the rest of us had finished our meals. All that was said was chef sends his apologies . The puddings had been sat in the middle of the room all night and looked totally unappetising again we commented on this to the staff and a fresh desert was brought from the kitchen. All in all the restaurant was disappointing. There seemed to be no one supervising and the waiters did not seem to know what they were doing a dedicated waiter would have been nice not just anyone who was passing. We opted to eat in the bar the following night the food was far better along with the service the bar staff were great so credit where credit due. Would use the hotel again but would opt for the bar rather than the restaurant.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, Operations Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Kiplingbear,

Thank you for posting review.

I am sorry to read about your restaurant experience. Our staff are allocated tables to look after and there is always a member of the management team supervising service. I will be investigating these comments and discussing with the restaurant and bars manager.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience in the bar the following evening, may I apologise that this was not the same on your 1st night eating with us.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Luke Comerford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked a 'relaxing' spa day for our Mums bday for myself, sister and Mum was a complete nightmare trying to organise our treatments, we were told we could decide on the day subject to availability. So we decided it would be best to book before to avoid disappointment. We called a number of times a there was no answer I then emailed had had a reply a number of days later so I then re called and was told the computer had frozen and they would email me with the list of treatments we could have again this didn't happen and a very rude man called me to tell me what treatments were available, he couldn't understand why we wanted to book and confirm this before hand. We then arrived on the day to then be asked what treatments we would like even though this had been booked and confirmed for all 3 of us. We were then given our robes which were awful quality and told to go through to the changing rooms which were located in the pool area at this point we were quite shocked to see young children in the area and no loungers or chairs free, we to our selves in our robes and then found the relaxation room we were told they would collect us at 11. Our therapist came to collect us at 11.05am for our to 25 min treatments. I was booked in for a back neck and shoulder and a scalp massage in total I was in the 35 mins I was totally shocked when I left the treatment room to see it was only 11.45. The treatment was far from relaxing, there was doors banging, people chatting and a noise which sounded like a Hoover which the rude man at reception informed us it was the spray tan machine. We told the staff at the reception area who were rude, abrupt and didn't even apologise. We were suppose to be there all day relaxing and having afternoon tea at 3pm. We were offered to have an extra treatment at 3.30 which would of been half way through our afternoon tea. By this point our day was ruined. The reception area was grubby, the sinks in the toilets didn't work, paint work was all dirty and chipped, we were offered water in paper cones it was just a complete nightmare. We decided to leave and never return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Megan P
Dear Megan P,

I am disappointed to read that you were not able to enjoy the relaxing spa day you had planned to celebrate your mum's birthday. I hope that you raised the problems you encountered with the duty manager and we were able to go some way to resolving them for you.

I have discussed the points you have raised directly with the leisure and spa manager. As I am unable to track reviewers from the site please contact myself directly at the hotel if there is anything you wish to discuss further.

Kind regards,
Luke Comerford
Witham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were warmly welcomed and the room seemed fine it was clean and comfortable(115). Our first visit to the pool was not good. We signed in and had to ask for towels then were left not knowing quite where to find the changing rooms and after reading that the ladies showers were running cold. When commenting we were told there were hot blasts of water and they would be fixed. The swim was good but the female showers definitely had no hot blasts!
At dinner we arrived for 7.30pm as booked earlier in the week to discover all tables taken except two in the centre of the room. Being shown to a table a chair was pulled out that was badly stained with candlewax, when I queried this I was told "it is only candle wax" and I was invited to sit down, not nice as I was in a smart outfit for my birthday dinner. The restaurant doors were open and as the kitchen door swung the draught was horrific it was like sitting in a wind tunnel but there were no other tables to move to so I fetched a sweater and a down gilet. We asked for our candle to be lit but this did not happen until after our drinks and when the first course had arrived, little attention to detail was the hallmark of the evening.
The food was good (except the torte) but the staff trying to be attentive asked if it was alright after we had eaten just one mouthful. Straight after dessert I left to go to bed to get warm a disappointing birthday treat.
Then the fun began as the lifts and stairs run alongside this bedroom. We worked out that the lifts are much noisier when there are more people in them.
On the friday morning the first person to run downstairs did so at 5.40am and the first lift started at 5.55am and then it was almost continuous.At the other end of the day it was well after midnight before there was any quiet.
At breakfast we reported these issues to the manager in the restaurant. He apologised and when showed the chair removed it from service. "Not to the standard we would expect" He said and also that he would see what he could do.
We heard nothing more and throughout the day were surpirised by the lack of any greeting from the reception staff, in fact it seemed that there were several meetings going on behind the desk and guests were the least concern!
We went out for a fantastic meal and theatre trip in Cambridge. We would like to use this hotel again because it is convenient for us but it seems a bit risky and very disappointing. We have stayed at Q hotels in Cheltenham and at Chatham and had great stays so were very disappointed and feel let down. We spoke of these issues on check out and were told we would be contacted, now we shall wait and see.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the lifts/stairwell eg 115
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is ok with reasonable facilities but very much a conference hotel, quite noisy, an awful view over the expanse of air conditioning. I find it hard to rate it 4 stars. If you are on business it is fine but not for a nice stay away from home in my opinion

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Max4s

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. We are indeed a modern hotel, which can cater for both business and leisure needs, I am sorry it was not to your taste, should you decide to return one day, please give us a ring and we will ensure that your room looks away from the building.
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here with my family for my Dad's 70th Birthday. On arrival, we all met up in the bar for coffee and birthday cake. The bar was quiet busy with what looked like a wedding party. We found a table which was laden with dirty plates and glasses and left over food. I looked around for someone to clear the table but there was no one that I could see so I moved all the things onto the side. We ordered coffee and had to wait for about 30 minutes as there were no clean cups, or clean plates for the cake. Fair enough they did look quite busy. The evening meal was booked for 7.30pm. There were 4 children under 6 in our party so we booked early. Our starters arrived at about 8.30pm and our main meals at 9.30pm which was a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait-especially with young children! We did ask several times if they could be a bit quicker with the food as the children were getting tired and restless. When the main meal arrived, some of the dinners were cold. The waitress had a cloth to hold the plates and passed one to my dad who burned his hand on the plate as it was so hot! Common sense tells me that she should have put it on the table , not given it to him!! The quality of food was extremely disappointing. After our main meal, the plates were not taken away for a very long time, in fact we had to ask for them to be cleared. This was after we had already asked them to be a bit quicker. The desserts on the buffet trolley looked very unappetising. There was hardly any choice and they looked like they had been thrown together then sat out in the warm restaurant all night. In the end I had to leave without pudding to take 2 of the children to bed as they were so tired and hadn't been able to eat their dinner because of this reason. My other daughters pudding arrived at 10.20pm! I feel very disappointed especially for my mum who had spent a lot of time and money organising this special occasion for my dad's 70th birthday. I must say that the staff were very friendly and pleasant but just not very efficient. My mum and I have stayed here a couple of months ago and the food was so much better then. When my mum went to check out , she actually heard several other people complain about the quality of food in the restaurant! 4*?????? I think not!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear cricola69

I'm very sorry to read your account of events in our restaurant. This is not the standard that we would expect, busy or not. I can see that you have dined with us before, so you are aware that this is not the norm. If you would like to contact me or my Operations Manager Luke Comerford at the hotel, we would be keen to discuss this further.
Once again my apologise.
Northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Check in Friday afternoon was welcoming and efficient and we were initially satisfied with our room (236). As we were rising early to go into Cambridge next day, we went to bed early, having already had dinner en route to the hotel.

We awoke suddenly in alarm at 10.20pm with noise that sounded as if debris were falling from the roof. Looking out of our window, with the bright glare of the light that reflects back towards the hotel, we could not see anything. However we did feel vibrations through the floor and my husband thought it may have been partitioning in a conference room below us being moved. After about 10 minutes it quietened down.

In the morning we looked out of the window and found a very depressing view looking across to loads of fans and air conditioning units. This time, with short days & being in Cambridge all day, we were not bothered about the view, but I would not like to be allocated this room in Spring/Summer.

Saturday evening the same thing happened albeit at a much earlier time, whilst Strictly Come Dancing was on. This time my husband went down to investigate and found a corridor where staff were running trolleys along. Although annoying, at least we felt reassured that the hotel was not falling to bits!

Not long after, our peace was shattered again, this time by a disco starting up which was so loud it sounded as if it were in the room with us. Fearing we would not be able to endure it until midnight my husband went down to reception to see if they were full. Amy on the desk was extremely helpful and gave us a key to another room at the other end of the hotel on the 3rd floor. We therefore packed up and moved rooms. Although we could still hear the beat of the music, at least it was more distant.

Room 316 was not without faults, fan/air-con in the bathroom which we could not turn off, radiator in the room making a continual pumping noise even when turned off and curtains that are hard to close (this just needs a bit of silicone polish on the curtain track and they will glide along smoothly!) The towels in this room were obviously old & had lost their fluffiness.

Breakfast both days, (with the exception of the bacon, which was streaky & greasy) was excellent with plenty of choice and although busy, staff kept up with demand in a friendly and efficient way.

We have stayed twice before at this hotel and had a fantastic stay both times, so I would not let the fact that this time it was not so good, put me off from staying again. However, I will be more choosy about which room I accept in future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear NorthamptonRicho

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that the noise from the disco disturbed you, we normally try to keep guests not attending the functions, well away from those areas likely to be affected. We obviously failed in this case but pleased to see it was rectified swiftly when brought to our attention.
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in a standard room and feel we got good value for the price we paid. This is at the lower end of 4* rated hotels in my opinion. It has the facilities to warrant 4* (iron, hairdryer, wi-fi, pool, spa etc) and is a comfortable well maintained hotel but without the extra touches and lacking any wow factor. The doors to the rooms are thin (so we had one badly disturbed Friday night) and the furniture is at the budget end for 4* but solid and decent nonetheless.
Having said that, I feel the hospitality was spot on. Staff always greeted us; at reception, at breakfast, in the corridors and lifts, at the spa. Staff were courteous, polite and genuine. When we mentioned our disturbed night (very much down to the guests and not the hotel's fault) we were offered a different room at the end of a corridor and sure enough we had a very peaceful night there. The maintenance cards in the rooms and follow up survey emailed to us later all suggest that Q hotels are keen to respond and to maintain standards.

Our room had everything we needed and the separate shower cubicle was much appreciated. Housekeeping were efficient but perhaps needed to pay a little more attention to the details (we had a couple of ceiling cobwebs that remained after they had been in to clean). It was a very busy weekend with a lot of staff working.
I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts - I'm instantly won over by a hotel that serves warm almond croissants and hot chocolate! The selection of food was comprehensive and the kitchen seemed to keep up with demand; hot dishes were frequently refreshed, juice and yoghurt supplies refilled. Breakfast time was pretty busy but staff remained cheerful and happy to help and responded courteously on the occasion when we needed to remind them we'd made a drink order that hadn't yet arrived.
We used the spa facilities each day. When we arrived on the Thursday the jacuzzi was out of action but the staff were committed to resolving the problem and sure enough it was working before the night was out. The pool is small but adequate and the sauna and steam room were fine. The jacuzzi was the highlight and one of the best I've experienced so I'm glad they got it fixed! Changing facilities are nice though the shower in our room was far better than those on offer near the pool. A swimwear spin drier would be a welcome addition in the changing rooms and something that I would expect in similar facilities.
The location is fairly uninspiring to me but the hotel is easy to access and parking is sufficient for a large hotel that gets very busy. Our main aim was to spend time relaxing in comfortable surroundings and I feel this hotel provides this. If you want luxury and all the little extras then this is not the place for you (but nor does the price suggest it would be, in my opinion). The chain may boast individual hotels but there are no individual touches to the rooms - it very much has an 'out of the box' branded feel. Again, fair enough for the price.
I would stay again and would recommend this hotel as a decent and comfortable place to stay with a warm and genuine welcome.

1 Thank mrsspikes
Dear mrsspikes

Thank you for your review and I'm pleased that you felt we offered value for money and in general that you enjoyed your stay and would return. All 21 of our hotels are indeed different but many share the same décor. I think this is usual for many of the big brands as guest like to feel familiar with their surrounding and reassured that quality of the hotel, is going to be similar no matter which hotel they select, but i appreciate your comment.
Once again thank you for your review and i look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!