“Good hotel in a weird place”

The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel itself was good - better than expected. Cambourne is a weird place though. Not much to do here so ended up staying in hotel more than expected. Breakfast was pretty good. Staff all seemed very friendly and no issues at all with the room. Gym was fine and conference facilities are good.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear David F

Thank you for your review, Cambourne as a new village is still growing and i'm sure if you return in the future you will have a better view of the place. It is undeniably well located to Cambridge though, which is a great benefit.
Once again many thanks for your review.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here with my 2 children (age 11 & 9) and a friend with 2 children the same age as a half term treat recently.
We had visited The Imperial War Museum at Duxford during the day and this hotel was very conveniently located nearby.
We had upgraded to 2 Junior Suites to accommodate our children with an extra bed, and both our sons were delighted with what they named their 'bed-sits' where the hotel had made extra beds in the sitting room area of the Suites,
Which went down very well with all of us.
The rooms were perfect in every way, my only complaint being it was very hot and there was no fridge in the place where it was obviously supposed to be, but other than that we were very pleased.
Dinner was fine but very very slow. The children's meals were fabulous with very generous portions and interesting choices (make your own burger, chicken fajitas, spag bol). The adult food was nice but a little disappointing and small (smaller than the children's portions)portions.
I had a fish dish with a burnt, in edible crust B's the dessert choice came without the promised baileys ice cream.
When we went into dinner we saw what looked like a dessert buffet. This later transpired to be a servery for the waiting staff to serve the desserts from, having sat in the warm air of the restaurant all night. Strange and not too pleasant.
The restaurant is letting them down I feel.
The breakfast buffet was fine though and well done. I ordered poached eggs which were perfectly cooked and didn't take too long.
The only thing which made me really cross was the fact that we had chosen this hotel as it has a pool. On checking in at 4.30 we were told no children were allowed in after 5pm as it was for members only. Ggggrrrrr!
We were told we told we could use the pool from 6.30 so imagine our shock when, having got up early to swim at 8am, we were told no children till 9am!!! The poor guy on the Leisure club reception got an earful!!!
I was not happy but the hotel rescued the situation by giving the children free hot chocolates. Just be sure to check the times if you plan to stay here and have children expecting to swim.
The following day was spent shopping in Cambridge- an easy car or park and ride journey away.
I love this hotel when I visit Cambridge, it's great if you don't want to be in the city, but I wouldn't bother with the restaurant next time

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank FlossyBlossom

Dear FlossyBlossom

Thank you for your comprehensive review, I will take a number of your points and see if we can improve in those areas. In particular the swimming times. I will try to make this more prominent with in our web page, to avoid the disappointment that you experienced.
Thank you for the pointers.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent one night here on a business trip. In spite of the cool outdoor temperature (no more than 10 degree high that day), the central heating was off when we arrived. Our room was cold and we were initially offered a space heater. We felt this was a somewhat underwhelming solution for a 4* hotel. After speaking to Laura, the duty manager, she agreed to override the system and turn on the heating. From that point our stay was lovely.
Room was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. Bathroom even had a separate shower. Free Wi-Fi. Great breakfast. Well-equipped gym. The spa was rather petite but had the facilities you'd expect - swimming pool (small), sauna, steam room, fancy shower, jacuzzi...
I would happily stay there again on another business trip, but I would hesitate to book a spa day there because of the size of the facilities. There appeared to be some people who were there on that basis and, perhaps because of half term, the pool area was over-run with children, some of whom were having swimming lessons.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear nomad046

I'm pleased we were able to rectify the temperature problem to your satisfaction and that Laura responded quickly to your request.
I will make the team aware of your comments and I thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had booked in for a one night stay as part of the Comedy Club package.
Check in was as expected, swift and painless.
Our room was just as expected for this type of hotel, clean & tidy. Couple of little niggles. No bottles of water in the room (which we have come to expect as the norm) and the shower hose was broken. But we could live with this.
The thing that did annoy a little was the room service. Thye make a big deal about the room service but in practice it was poor. I tried to order some food on arrival. ONce we eventually got through (to the bar I believe) our order was taken with an ETA of 40 mins. An hour later I phoned for a progress report and was told the order never went through. By this time I thought I would wait for dinner and was promised a drink at the bar. Very nice I thought! It never happened though!
The set meal with the comedy evening was nice for the number of people they had to cater for.
The comedy was poor but nothing to do with the hotel.
Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day.
All in all a pleasant stay with no real highs or lows.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LPML1977

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review, and rest assured I will investigate the issue around your room service as this is not our usual level of performance. Comedy Club is very popular at the hotel and I will feedback to them your comments, I'm sure they will be interested.
Once again thank you.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed 3 nights from 1-4 November in a penthouse suite. Huge bathroom, bedroom. Lovely to have lobby with toilet off it and a v good living room. We tracked down a fridge through a v nice maintenance guy who was carrying one around despite being told there wasn't any, but expected one really in a big suite is my only little gripe.

Our break itself was a disaster... Travelled with 2 children aged 3 and 1. The 1 year old was very poorly. The hotel made us feel at home.. Bent over backwards to accommodate us during this bad time involving 2 emergency doctors and hospital. They sent our restaurant food course by course to our room, nothing was too much trouble ( many thanks to the waiter and 2 waitresses on 1st November whoever you are).

Chloe on reception was fantastic... Organising doctor, helping with directions, courtesy calls to room, so helpful and genuinely caring.

It was a friendly hotel and I'd recommend to anyone wanting a modern, clean hotel. It was a bit far out in a big purpose built housing estate but having a morrisons, few shops, pub and other bits and bobs so close was v helpful.

Many thanks to all here.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank CAG1

Dear CAG1

I'm sorry that illness spoilt your time with us at the hotel but obviously pleased my team did all they could to make things as good as possible for you.
I will share your comments with Chloe and the team. I hope the little one is fully recovered and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel one day.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here as we wanted to visit Cambridge and nearby National Trust places. All the staff were very friendly and we had good service throughout our stay. Breakfast was very good although it was very busy in the restaurant. The gym and pool are excellent. Cambridge park and ride is only 10 minutes by car, so very convenient. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter G

Dear Peter G

Many thanks for your kind review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel. I will share your review with my team and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

A good clean hotel with good facilities,highly pleasant staff and above average food especially if dining with a pre arranged group. Cambourne is a strange almost Stepford like location but this is a good bet if you don't want to stay nearer to Cambridge.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear artegall

Just a quick note to thank you for your review, I will share your comments with my team.
Mike Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!