“Restful, comfortable, top grade” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Restful, comfortable, top grade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the last night of a 3week tour thru Italy, France, we stayed in hotels and a villa during that time, none of the hotels measured up with the Belfry.
Room 308 very good, but no bar fridge to keep our own drinks chilled? Shower n bathroom top class, towels and bedding and mattress most comfortable of out trip.
Didn't eat dinner as we had had a large brunch in Cambridge and snacked and a bottle of Reims Champagne we had bought the and needed to polish off, got a nice bucket, towel and 2 glasses for the bar staff, who were accommodating.
This hotel is. a SPA, lots of frumpy ladies about , in the pool area in dressing gowns in the corridors, but I do have say I object to undressed ladies in dressing gowns in at Breakfast !!
This did put me off my cookd breakfast, and whilst ths OK at home, I didn't pay a lot of money for the stay to have to put up with Dressing gowns in the restaurant at breakfast - how a both a Hotel Rule, no Dressing gowns in the food areas ??.??
Overall I would give it a personal 4.5. Out of 5. Would highly recommend in this area f Cambridgshire.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Iain M

It sounds like a trip of a lifetime, travelling across Europe for three weeks.
I'm very envious and pleased that you thought the Cambridge Belfry was the best hotel you stayed in.
As for guests wearing dressing gowns down to breakfast, this is the first time of heard of this but I will keep an eye on how frequently this happens and take appropriate action if needs be.
Many thanks for your kind comments
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Had a really nice break at the belfry last week staff were very pleasant and helpful rooms were nice and comfortable and all you would need for a family break. The food was good and the chef went to great trouble in making us a lovely roast dinner on two of the nights we stayed, i would also like to give Asta a mention our waitress who went out off her way to make sure we had everything that we needed and nothing was a bother to her. The only down side of the hotel was that our kids were limited to using the swimming pool it only opened for them a few hours in the day it was not very convenient for us as they loved the pool and when we went out in the day time we had to be back for four as it shut for them at five i would like to ask management to have a look at this because after all it is the childrens holiday too and as we were two familys with seven children in total with us this meant they were unhappy most evenings with not being able to use the pool. This would be the only reason i would not return to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear newholland186470

Thank you for your recent review, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the time you spent with us and I will certainly pass your kind comment on to Asta and the Chef.
It is a fine balance between adult and child access times to the pool, one which I believe we have about right, however I will review it, particularly during the main school holidays to see what the impact would be on other users if we extended the hours or extend them on certain days.
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We arrived in the evening and had dinner in the restaurant with my son and daughter in law, and theri children...a five year old and a two year old. The staff were extremely helpful and I was very impressed that the wine waiter spoke directly to the children. It was a very relaxed meal, with the children's food served quickly, and I am sure the other diners were grateful for the peaceful meal! I was!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Jean G

I'm really pleased that you and your family enjoyed being here at the hotel. I will share your comments with the team, who I know will be delighted.
Have a great summer (when it arrives) and my regards to your family.
Crewe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was a large smart looking hotel. Check in was done efficiently but lacked any warmth. The room was OK, however we could only find one set of towels. On contacting the reception we were informed that they were hidden in the bottom drawer of the TV cabinet. - rather strange!
There was no book in the room giving details of meal times, or phone numbers or how to contact people in other rooms. We had to go down and ask at reception. We were staying there with a group of friends to attend a wedding.
The breakfast could have been a lot better for a quality hotel. The food was only just lukewarm and the bacon greasy, and service a little slow.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear teddy673

Many thanks for your comments, I will ask housekeeping to check the rooms to ensure that the guest directory is present in all. It is a standard for us to keep one set of towels in a draw as the rooms during the week are normally occupied by single business clients and as part of are Green Campaign it reduces the amount laundry we use and therefore the chemicals involved. That said, we should have brought them out for use when we knew the room was for double occupancy. I'm sorry we missed this.
Once again, many thanks for your review.
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel was perfectly adequate, my room was clean & comfortable, but I can't think of anything that makes it stand out from any other "perfectly adequate" hotel I have stayed in. The staff were charming and helpful, especially in the bar and in the restaurant. The restaurant food was rather good, considering there was a conference (or several) going on at the time. The hotel website does not specifically mention a swimming pool but there is a nice leisure suite with a 10m pool. I would happily stay here again, but probably won't remember its name in a few weeks time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Avril H

Thank you for your recent review. You are quite right, although we show pictures of the pool, we don't specifically mention it. I have now asked our marketing department to update our home page with this information.
Thank you for pointing this out, perhaps now you may remember our hotel as the one that reacted quickly to your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I arranged a important family meeting here, to discuss plans.
One arrival we checked in, and we found out we had been upgraded, only to find that one of the beds was a camp bed, totally unsuitable for an adult, also the room smelt of cigarette smoke,
so back to reception and another room was found, back down the corridors to another room. The carpets are so dirty, almost sticky. What happened to bell boys ?
Our family get together in the restaurant, walking to the restaurant we had to go through a wedding party, they where having a wonderful time, staggering around the restaurant entrance and getting in the way, the noise was horrendous.
Shown to our table, a hen party on the next table where also having a wonderful time, very noisy.
A quiet chat was impossible.
The food, dominno sea bass, I don't remember dominos being so small, also I thought you might at least get more than three. one fork full and we where waiting for our main meal.
We had to wait quite a long time for this, amidst all the noise, and when it arrived it was the wrong order of one of my party, and therefore uneatable, having waited so long we didn't want to wait for it to be changed.
Desert had deserted and was no where to be seen, eventually it was found lurking and served.
Poached pear, so hard you couldn't eat it, another waist.
Back to the room through the even more drunk and noisy wedding party.
What a disappointment, never again.

One good point, our young waitress was very nice

Room Tip: If you don't like your room demand another.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wolfnickwolf
, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Wolfnickwolf

Thank you for your recent review, I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us here at the Cambridge Belfry. We are a popular hotel, no least for a proximity to Cambridge, Spa and other amenities and as a consequence both couples and parties like to stay with us. Had we have known that you had important family business to discuss, we could have advised on the best times to use the restaurant or indeed offered you the opportunity to have private dinning.
I shall pass your comments on to the chef with regard to the meal and I do hope that we have the opportunity to look after you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Very impressed with this hotel, stayed on the 29th June for the weekend with a friend. We booked treatments in the spa and we got the times we wanted and it all ran really smoothly. The staff in the spa were very friendly and put you at your ease and the treatments themselves were to die for. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We had dinner in the hotel on Friday and it was very nice and service was very good and polite. Food was great. I would thoroughly recommend a stay at this hotel as my experience was very relaxing and the staff were very pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Melo201
Dear Melo201

Many thanks for your kind comments, I will be sure to share them with my team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Mike Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambourne
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!