All reviewswilliam morristhe pubhidden gemscallopssister pubsaturday nightburgerporkboth nightsgreat foodthames pathexcellent lunchhidden awayfriendly localsevening mealoff the beaten trackbar area
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just returned from a two night midweek break at the Plough. It is the most relaxing place I think I have ever been too, so peaceful and tranquil. The walk around the village and along the Thames river was beautiful and especially helped by the lovely weather. The staff made you feel so welcome and couldn't do enough to help or advise on best walks to Lechlade or how to get to Blenheim Palace. The food was excellent and lots of variety on the menu and the breakfast kept you going all day. The little dog who lives there is so sweet and very entertaining and certainly enjoys tit bits from the guests, how could you refuse such an appealing face. We are hoping to return for another break later in the year.

1  Thank Relaxingtraveller
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed for two nights Wednesday and Thusday. Very relaxing .Room was comfortable .Let my daughter have the double bed and I had a single. Bathroom was lovely and modern and our room nicely decorated. Every member of staff was helpful and friendly. The food was superb, really generous portions. We had an evening meal both nights , good choice on the menu. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay,would definitely recommend .

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue C
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just got back from a great relaxing 2 night stay with the dog. Room was nice and cosy, excellent food and mega breakfast.
Staff are really friendly and helpful. Would really recommend staying here. Walks along the river Thames too. Walked to another lovely village Buscot.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 with the dog, front of the hotel, lovely jacuzzi bath. Above the bar but lovely views from the front and side of the hotel.
3  Thank Jackie T
Reviewed September 17, 2012

You need a GPS in the car to help you find it, but it's also a GPS: - 'G'reat 'P'lace to 'S'tay
Warm, friendly staff, who instantly make you feel welcomed, nicely decorated bedroom, with a clean and spacious on-suite. Great location close to the Thames footpath in a very quiet and secluded village. We stayed midweek for 2 nights but they had advertised live music in the bar for the Saturday night, so join the party if you please the locals are extremely friendly. I just hope that with all these great reviews we can get a room when we return soon.

Room Tip: Room 5 (Buscot) very comfortable overlooking the front garden
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have a very mixed review in that I can find no major criticism but yet this holiday lacked something and it's difficult to define.
Firstly the setting is wonderful, quiet, Idyllic, with old stone and beams, a typical country pub and the rooms are imaculate, with comfy beds, plenty of toiletries and in-room hot drinks. The service on the other hand is a little sketchy ...Upon arrival, I gave my name and was handed a key, I asked if they wanted further details and/or paperwork, she said no and went back to chatting to the other people at the bar - now I had booked this holiday through a deal/code system and had additionalities included in the price, which I thought would be discussed .... when would we like our wine? Cream tea? I left it as it had been a long journey, we ordered some drinks and sat in the bar for a little while - at no time did anyone tell me where the room was and although we figured it out (it's not a big place) I felt a little unwelcome.
Whlst sat at the bar, the bar girl and later a man continued to chat to the people at the bar, whilst we sat at tables that had dirty glasses and one of my pet hates is old tomato juice glasses - if the bar is busy, leave the glasses but if it's not and it wasn't please take them away.
I had probably one fo the best night's sleeps in our Burford room and breakfast the next morning was good, although the mushrooms were cold and its pretty limiting if you don't want a cooked English; there are cereals and toast, but no fruit, or pastries.
The location for the rest of the area is great, you're just a stone's throw away from Lechlade and we went out an about for the day - upon return we ordered a bottle of wine and still no mention of the wine included in the price so I asked at our evening meal, the man said it would be deducted from the bill in the morning - I got the impression that they hadn't been briefed about the deal?
The meal was good, we had pork and scallops, which although I had to send my scallops back as they were cold, the pork was plentiful and my partners were fine, the sea bass was excellent.
We finished with coffee and drinks and I was assured that the bill would be sorted in the morning. I told them to forget about the cream tea, as it hadn't been offered throughout the stay, but I would like one bottle of wine to be removed
Breakfast the next day was piping hot througout, althought the introduction of the begging dog wasn't welcome - the waitress did attempt to call the dog away but she kept returning. In addtion I do not want to eat my breakfast listening to the long hours of the waiting staff
When I came to pay my bill, I asked about the wine and was told it came from different stock so the coffees had been removed - ultimately I wasn't going to argue, the whole deal/code thing wasn't such a big deal, but I left feeling with a bad taste in my mouth. With such a beautiful setting, room and good food generally, the additions didn't seem worth bringing up, upon my drive home, however I now feel that they should do better.

3  Thank KateWill76