The New Inn(Lechlade)(Great Value!)
$62
  • Breakfast included
The Swan Inn(Lechlade)(Great Value!)
$85
$88
The Five Alls(Lechlade)
The Bell Inn(Lechlade)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswilliam morristhe pubhidden gemscallopssister pubsaturday nightburgerporkboth nightsgreat foodthames pathexcellent lunchhidden awayfriendly localsevening mealoff the beaten trackbar area
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have a very mixed review in that I can find no major criticism but yet this holiday lacked something and it's difficult to define.
Firstly the setting is wonderful, quiet, Idyllic, with old stone and beams, a typical country pub and the rooms are imaculate, with comfy beds, plenty of toiletries and in-room hot drinks. The service on the other hand is a little sketchy ...Upon arrival, I gave my name and was handed a key, I asked if they wanted further details and/or paperwork, she said no and went back to chatting to the other people at the bar - now I had booked this holiday through a deal/code system and had additionalities included in the price, which I thought would be discussed .... when would we like our wine? Cream tea? I left it as it had been a long journey, we ordered some drinks and sat in the bar for a little while - at no time did anyone tell me where the room was and although we figured it out (it's not a big place) I felt a little unwelcome.
Whlst sat at the bar, the bar girl and later a man continued to chat to the people at the bar, whilst we sat at tables that had dirty glasses and one of my pet hates is old tomato juice glasses - if the bar is busy, leave the glasses but if it's not and it wasn't please take them away.
I had probably one fo the best night's sleeps in our Burford room and breakfast the next morning was good, although the mushrooms were cold and its pretty limiting if you don't want a cooked English; there are cereals and toast, but no fruit, or pastries.
The location for the rest of the area is great, you're just a stone's throw away from Lechlade and we went out an about for the day - upon return we ordered a bottle of wine and still no mention of the wine included in the price so I asked at our evening meal, the man said it would be deducted from the bill in the morning - I got the impression that they hadn't been briefed about the deal?
The meal was good, we had pork and scallops, which although I had to send my scallops back as they were cold, the pork was plentiful and my partners were fine, the sea bass was excellent.
We finished with coffee and drinks and I was assured that the bill would be sorted in the morning. I told them to forget about the cream tea, as it hadn't been offered throughout the stay, but I would like one bottle of wine to be removed
Breakfast the next day was piping hot througout, althought the introduction of the begging dog wasn't welcome - the waitress did attempt to call the dog away but she kept returning. In addtion I do not want to eat my breakfast listening to the long hours of the waiting staff
When I came to pay my bill, I asked about the wine and was told it came from different stock so the coffees had been removed - ultimately I wasn't going to argue, the whole deal/code thing wasn't such a big deal, but I left feeling with a bad taste in my mouth. With such a beautiful setting, room and good food generally, the additions didn't seem worth bringing up, upon my drive home, however I now feel that they should do better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KateWill76
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Great weekend stay. Friendly place, friendly staff. A very local pub. Small bar. Beers not bad too. The SA Shiraz wasnt bad either. Food was excellent - try the seared scallops on roast pork belly with cauli puree, sitting on spinach leaves & apple slices. Lots of dogs in bar and garden - guess the Plough is their local meeting place for their weekly paw wow. Resident miniature guard dog does it's hourly inspection in restaurant, bar & garden, and occasionally sit on garden table to greet guests on eye to eye. Great that the locals don't stay up too late in the bar, otw those staying in rooms above bar could have joined in the conversation without having to leave their bedrooms. Great shower. Do learn to pronounce 'Callum' properly, otw u won't get served in bar.

Room Tip: For those who love hearing local banters without having to leave bedrooms, choose rooms above bar, eg William Morris
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed last week for 2 nights......what a hidden gem !! this is a beautiful English pub with lovely rooms a couple of miles outside Lechlade and minutes off the Thames Path.
Josie the landlady and her team are brilliant, nothing a problem for them, the food is great, hearty breakfasts and superb dinners
This is a must visit, we'll be back!!
Evely and Steve

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Only stayed here 3 nights but was most impressed.All the bedrooms have been refubished following a flood a few years ago and the fixtures and fittings are top notch. The breakfast was cooked to order and a great choice was available. We ate here 2 nights and the food is fantastic and not too pricey.It is hidden away and we definitely needed our satnav to find it. Only problem was the ceilings are very low and the rooms were very hot.Fortunately fans are provided and although we had intermittent June rain, we had to have the fans on all night.Parking is also limited as they don't have there own.Would definitely stay there again if KGB do another deal.

Room Tip: Some rooms have steps up into the bathroom which can be a bit trickey(I am disabled) in the night so we were able to move with out too much fuss
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Me and my partner paid £79 for a two night stay here with KGB deals. It's in a very rural location so you definately need a car but it all adds to the authenticity of a rural get away near the Cotswolds!

The food in the restaurant was lovely ad generous in portion size. A little more expensive than average but worth it for the kind and polite service and quality etc.

The room we had was the buscot room and it was very well maintained- beautiful wall paper, it smelt lovely and the carpets, furniture and fixtures we're all fresh looking and luxurious in feel. It's a small room but it didn't bother us. Very cosy and had plenty of storage.Bothered is also a flat screne with dvd player.

Breakfast was freshly cooked and traditionally English if you wanted it. There are also cereals etc on offer and plenty of fresh juice. Good quality ingredients.

For shopping we visited Swindon(about 30minutes drive) and Witney (20minutes). We also visited the Cotswold wildlife park and gardens which were quite lovely despite the rain! Highlights were the geraffs and rhinos. Entry is £13 for adults.

Oxford is near too!

All in all a great stay and good for couples.

• Stayed: August 2012