“truly excellent restaurant”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Saint Louis, Missouri
“truly excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We did not actually stay at this hotel, but were visiting it for its very influential garden. While doing so we stayed for lunch, even though we were not dressed for the occasion. We had very friendly service and, especially, a spectacularly good lunch, so much so, in fact, that my wife suggested we return to the area some day just to eat dinner there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank juhlemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I will start by explaining that we had a wonderful stay here, Our room was beautiful and we enjoyed the spa. It was very romantic and some members of staff were fabulous but parts of the service were quite bad and when you are paying top money that just isn't acceptable.

We stayed in room one - it was gorgeous. The bathroom was huge with two bath tubs side by side. We we're very impressed. We headed to the spa I had a treatment booked and we had a soak in the outside pool. The spa is beautiful but quite small. One pool, one sauna and one steam room. We used the facilities and then headed back to the main house for lunch.

Once inside I asked the receptionist for a lunch menu. She sent us to our room where the afternoon tea menu should be. We didn't want to eat in our room but headed up there anyway. For whatever reason our menu was missing so my husband called reception and she read the sandwich list to us. My husband is quite fussy and didn't like an of the choices. I refused to believe that they didn't make a cheese and ham sandwich or similar so we headed to the bar. I requested a menu there and they did have a ham sandwich. Seems a little pointless sending us to our room. The receptionist should have just got us a menu in the first place. Sloppy service.

When my sandwhich came (smoked salmon and cream cheese) there was so little cream cheese on it. In fact they had spread cream cheese thinner than the butter. Now I work in a sandwhich shop so for £8.50 I expect to taste the cream cheese on my sandwhich. Also the cheese is very cheap it wouldn't break the bank to give me a bit more.I had to send it back.

At dinner we waited a while to be seated as there were no staff around. When a waitress bought food to another table she turned round saw us and then without saying a word headed back to the kitchen. Terrible. She should have greeted us and even if it wasn't her job to seat us she could have told us someone would be with us in a minute. When another waiter showed up he looked confused and went to serve a different table. It was in fact the customer at this table that insisted we be seated before they took our order. As I mentioned earlier I work in catering and would absolutely have seated the customer then taken the order.

Our food was delicious- the portions were small for my husband but wonderfully presented and very tasty. We enjoyed our meal and felt the service was very good at the table. In fact our waiter went to a lot of trouble to make me a chai latte - much appreciated.

We had booked the private cinema after our meal and enjoyed the experience. We then borrowed a DVD and headed back to our room.

We ordered breakfast in our room and found it to be disappointing. Having read previous reviews I knew the breakfast was small so had ordered some extras for my husband. However, I ordered eggs Benedict and it was half the size I expected. Usually you have one muffin cut in half with bacon or ham and two poached eggs. I only had one half of the muffin and one poached egg. Far too small. It seems really silly when you have this beautiful hotel to be penny pinching over breakfast. These are the touches that make your stay perfect.

Another problem was that they had run out of a lot of drinks. The table next to us at dinner had ordered a bottle of wine and they had run out. My husband wanted Peroni (he had one at lunch) but at dinner they had run out. They had also run out of the Prosecco.

So it was these few problems that meant I couldn't leave a better rating. However, we still really enjoyed ourselves and wouldn't rule out returning. I do hope the management make the necessary improvements here to make the hotel truly luxurious it certainly has the potential.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pecunningham
Surbiton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

We had a great long weekend visit to Barnsley House. We arrived early on a Saturday morning and though our room was not ready (we arrived a few hours early) we were given a warm welcome from the staff and manager and had a pot of tea while we waited. The room was great - a luxusious room that feels more like a cottage than a hotel (perfect). The spa was just the right size, great services and not too crowded. It was such a relaxing weekend in a beaitful spot. The staff were incredibly friendly and accomodating throughout our stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

During our long weekend we fell in love with Barnsley House. The wonderful mix of country estate charm and modern interior designed rooms was heavenly. We stayed in both The Secret Garden (private garden, huge egg shaped bath and modern 4 poster) and Rosemary Varey (private garden, conservatory and fireplace) rooms. I would highly recommend both and in particular The Secret Garden. There is also an award winning Spa at the hotel, definitely book a massage here. Barnsley House owns a pub called The Village Pub which is a 2 minute walk away. Sunday lunch here was delicious and the large open fire is just begging to be sat next too with the sunday papers. If you are looking for perfect surroundings in which to relax, take long walks and have delicious country fayre this is your place. Anyone too attached to their mobile phone will be sorely disappointed as there is generally no service in the area. My boyfriend did however manage to find a little bit of the car park where there was a signal available.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LittleWing77
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed here for two nights as a pre-Christmas treat. Unfortunately it was at a time of deep snow and very cold outside temperatures. The hotel was everything we had hoped. Great ambience, picturesque and a wonderful room with the sort of bathroom my partner would wish to own. Imagine our disappointment that the main boiler had broken down and there was no heating and no hot water. We went to bed after a nice meal at the local pub (also owned by the hotel) and woke up to a room cold enough to hang meat! Electric heaters were provided although in truth we shouldn't have had to ask for these and the water was still stone cold. We were eventually moved to a room in the courtyard which at least was warm and comfortable with that section of the hotel supplied by a separate boiler. We had a very nice dinner that evening in the hotel. In the morning we checked out after a very hearty breakfast.
When it came time to pay the bill imagine my astonishment that they then tried to charge us full price for the two nights. When I complained they very grudgingly gave a 15% discount on the first night's accomodation. We were not best pleased. It is hardly the treatment designed to bring a new customer back.
The spa treatments were good but expensive, the village and countryside beautiful but impenetrable in the weather, and the Village Pub warm, cosy and very good food.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

I took my husband to Barnsley house for a night to celebrate his birthday. The hotel organised clay pigeon shooting for us beforehand and we had lunch at The Village pub, where we inadvertently sat next to the owner or Calcot and Barnsley House. The Hotel is beautiful as are the gardens and is very tastefully decorated in English country house style; cosy log fires and blankets everywhere.

We were staying in room 3, a superior room overlooking the front of the house and gardens. I liked all the mags in the room; Vogue, Tatler etc and the fact that all the little Benson organics juices in the fridge (which were restocked that evening at turn down) were complimentary. Lovely Aromatherapy Associates products and an enormous tv with an extensive list of DVDs to watch, nice Teapigs tea and coffee and biscuits. We also had a complimentary bottle of Barnsley House champagne to toast my husband's birthday . Special touches are definitely appreciated.

We had massages in the spa which is the nicest I've been to. I appreciated filling out a form pre- massage which asked if we would like music, our therapist to talk etc during our treatment. I had a lovely and much needed pregnancy massage and am tempted to return for this alone! There are relaxations rooms to wonder about in after your treatments and a lovely hydrotherapy pool which we sat in, blissfully warm under the stars in December! My husband had a deep massage and said it was the only one he'd ever had which was deep enough to sort out his muscular aches and pains. Definitely recommend the spa, not cheap but worth it.

We had dinner in The Potager which is a beautiful restaurant, very pretty at Christmas with little stars and twinkly trees in each bay window. Unfortunately there was a rather loud work group at the table next to us so we asked if we could have our dessert in our rooms. We watched DVDs and ate our pudds in bed which was lovely!

The beds are supremely comfortable but we didn't sleep too well due to the rowdy group who stayed in the bar until 2am and then rabbited on in the room above us till all hours. I think the rooms could be better sound-proofed. We were staying on a Monday so I dread to think how noisy it could be at weekends. The only suggestions I would make for the hotel other than better sound- proofing would be bigger breakfasts! Only mini chocolate croissants and I could have done with more pastries/ cake etc (but then I am pregnant!) Another slight downside was that the (lovely) four poster bed) obscured the giant tv and try as we might there was no way for both of us to sit in bed and view the tv without a big bedpost in the way! Anyway only a minor detail.

The reception staff were slightly confusing but very friendly and helpful and the waitors were supremely good. I liked the fact that you were left to your own defences a bit and we we really could be in our own home, relaxing by the fire and wondering round the gardens. We chatted with the gardeners and admired the private cinema (loved the bright pink leather sofas!)

In all a really special night away, I would definitely recommend the place and plan to return in summer. I actually thought the rates were quite good in comparison to somewhere like Lower Slaughter Manor which is similar but about triple the price!

1 Thank travelling_blonde01
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

This is a fabulous place (with a price tag to match). It gets so many things spot on:
• Hassle free check in
• Key fobs to zap into your room – with a helpful torch attached for the dark path ways around the property
• Amazing rooms – full of great features
• Fires and places to drink and relax all over the main hotel
• Friendly staff who know their stuff
• Dinner in the hotel – terrific choice, with every dish a winner. Great ambience, lovely surroundings
• The Spa is out of this world with a stunning hot tub/pool outside and a beautiful relaxation room. The treatments were really good – thanks Sian
• The private cinema was an unexpected (and played down) bonus. We sat in there and watched a film on our own. They brought our dessert to us. Brilliant.
• It has an exclusive and luxurious feel to it
• We had a welcome gift and card in our room on arrival

BUT – there are so many small things that need improving (all of these we fed back to the hotel when we left):
• There are lots of complicated packages to chose from – we booked a spa package and then got a confirmation with a smaller spa credit on it (was sorted by the hotel when pointed out)
• We booked the cinema for 8.30pm. We started to wander down there bang on time and a staff member hollered after us that she hadn’t ‘set it up yet’. Why not? We got there to find glasses and debris from the people that had been there earlier – we’d seen them come back to the hotel at least an hour before. Plus we had asked for some drinks to be brought down ready for us – not there. Again, all sorted but why do we need to point out?
• We planned to have dinner at the Pub – it seemed nice enough but the food choices didn’t seem to match the c.£400 a night DBB package we were on, so we didn’t stay and we were welcomed back at the hotel for dinner
• The breakfast choice is all the usuals – my husband asked for some mushrooms with his smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. He got a small half a mushroom with it! We thought it was hilarious, pointed it out to the waiter and waited for more to arrive. They did. This time he got one and a half mushrooms. Marvellous. They were apparently very tasty!
• The hotel is spotless but all the way through breakfast someone hoovered outside the door – it went on forever. Why not do that after breakfast?
• The kitchen is right next to the dining room – there is a lot of staff noise coming out from it. In the evening it’s masked by music in the dining room but at breakfast you can hear the kitchen radio and staff chatter – not the right level of service for this type of hotel

All of these things were minor and hadn’t seemed of note until we checked out. Fortunately we’d only been there for two nights so identifying the entries on the bill wasn’t too complicated. However, there were a number of errors that left a bad taste and if I’d been anywhere else I’d think they were trying to rip us off:
• Spa credit missing – sorted again once pointed out
• Bottle of Champagne advertised at £51 charged at £59 – it was this that really tipped us over the edge. Why do that?

We asked to speak to someone. A lovely lady called Claire arrived within a couple of minutes. We went through all of these issues. She listened, empathised and sorted them out.

Overall – this is a top place and I’d definitely recommend a visit. But it is expensive – and for the money they charge the delivery needs to be consistent and sharp every time. If you’re celebrating something special – this is definitely the place to go.

1 Thank AbsandStu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,000 reviews

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!