“Worth coming for the spa alone”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Bath, United Kingdom
“Worth coming for the spa alone”
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I took my husband to Barnsley house for a night to celebrate his birthday. The hotel organised clay pigeon shooting for us beforehand and we had lunch at The Village pub, where we inadvertently sat next to the owner or Calcot and Barnsley House. The Hotel is beautiful as are the gardens and is very tastefully decorated in English country house style; cosy log fires and blankets everywhere.

We were staying in room 3, a superior room overlooking the front of the house and gardens. I liked all the mags in the room; Vogue, Tatler etc and the fact that all the little Benson organics juices in the fridge (which were restocked that evening at turn down) were complimentary. Lovely Aromatherapy Associates products and an enormous tv with an extensive list of DVDs to watch, nice Teapigs tea and coffee and biscuits. We also had a complimentary bottle of Barnsley House champagne to toast my husband's birthday . Special touches are definitely appreciated.

We had massages in the spa which is the nicest I've been to. I appreciated filling out a form pre- massage which asked if we would like music, our therapist to talk etc during our treatment. I had a lovely and much needed pregnancy massage and am tempted to return for this alone! There are relaxations rooms to wonder about in after your treatments and a lovely hydrotherapy pool which we sat in, blissfully warm under the stars in December! My husband had a deep massage and said it was the only one he'd ever had which was deep enough to sort out his muscular aches and pains. Definitely recommend the spa, not cheap but worth it.

We had dinner in The Potager which is a beautiful restaurant, very pretty at Christmas with little stars and twinkly trees in each bay window. Unfortunately there was a rather loud work group at the table next to us so we asked if we could have our dessert in our rooms. We watched DVDs and ate our pudds in bed which was lovely!

The beds are supremely comfortable but we didn't sleep too well due to the rowdy group who stayed in the bar until 2am and then rabbited on in the room above us till all hours. I think the rooms could be better sound-proofed. We were staying on a Monday so I dread to think how noisy it could be at weekends. The only suggestions I would make for the hotel other than better sound- proofing would be bigger breakfasts! Only mini chocolate croissants and I could have done with more pastries/ cake etc (but then I am pregnant!) Another slight downside was that the (lovely) four poster bed) obscured the giant tv and try as we might there was no way for both of us to sit in bed and view the tv without a big bedpost in the way! Anyway only a minor detail.

The reception staff were slightly confusing but very friendly and helpful and the waitors were supremely good. I liked the fact that you were left to your own defences a bit and we we really could be in our own home, relaxing by the fire and wondering round the gardens. We chatted with the gardeners and admired the private cinema (loved the bright pink leather sofas!)

In all a really special night away, I would definitely recommend the place and plan to return in summer. I actually thought the rates were quite good in comparison to somewhere like Lower Slaughter Manor which is similar but about triple the price!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelling_blonde01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2010

This is a fabulous place (with a price tag to match). It gets so many things spot on:
• Hassle free check in
• Key fobs to zap into your room – with a helpful torch attached for the dark path ways around the property
• Amazing rooms – full of great features
• Fires and places to drink and relax all over the main hotel
• Friendly staff who know their stuff
• Dinner in the hotel – terrific choice, with every dish a winner. Great ambience, lovely surroundings
• The Spa is out of this world with a stunning hot tub/pool outside and a beautiful relaxation room. The treatments were really good – thanks Sian
• The private cinema was an unexpected (and played down) bonus. We sat in there and watched a film on our own. They brought our dessert to us. Brilliant.
• It has an exclusive and luxurious feel to it
• We had a welcome gift and card in our room on arrival

BUT – there are so many small things that need improving (all of these we fed back to the hotel when we left):
• There are lots of complicated packages to chose from – we booked a spa package and then got a confirmation with a smaller spa credit on it (was sorted by the hotel when pointed out)
• We booked the cinema for 8.30pm. We started to wander down there bang on time and a staff member hollered after us that she hadn’t ‘set it up yet’. Why not? We got there to find glasses and debris from the people that had been there earlier – we’d seen them come back to the hotel at least an hour before. Plus we had asked for some drinks to be brought down ready for us – not there. Again, all sorted but why do we need to point out?
• We planned to have dinner at the Pub – it seemed nice enough but the food choices didn’t seem to match the c.£400 a night DBB package we were on, so we didn’t stay and we were welcomed back at the hotel for dinner
• The breakfast choice is all the usuals – my husband asked for some mushrooms with his smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. He got a small half a mushroom with it! We thought it was hilarious, pointed it out to the waiter and waited for more to arrive. They did. This time he got one and a half mushrooms. Marvellous. They were apparently very tasty!
• The hotel is spotless but all the way through breakfast someone hoovered outside the door – it went on forever. Why not do that after breakfast?
• The kitchen is right next to the dining room – there is a lot of staff noise coming out from it. In the evening it’s masked by music in the dining room but at breakfast you can hear the kitchen radio and staff chatter – not the right level of service for this type of hotel

All of these things were minor and hadn’t seemed of note until we checked out. Fortunately we’d only been there for two nights so identifying the entries on the bill wasn’t too complicated. However, there were a number of errors that left a bad taste and if I’d been anywhere else I’d think they were trying to rip us off:
• Spa credit missing – sorted again once pointed out
• Bottle of Champagne advertised at £51 charged at £59 – it was this that really tipped us over the edge. Why do that?

We asked to speak to someone. A lovely lady called Claire arrived within a couple of minutes. We went through all of these issues. She listened, empathised and sorted them out.

Overall – this is a top place and I’d definitely recommend a visit. But it is expensive – and for the money they charge the delivery needs to be consistent and sharp every time. If you’re celebrating something special – this is definitely the place to go.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AbsandStu
Herts
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I came to Barnsley House for 2 days to celebrate my 40th birthday. First impressions are expensive yet friendly but ultimately worth every penny. We made full use of the restaurant where the food was divine and the Tatler awarded spa, which was amazing (thank you Sarah for the best facial I have ever had!).
We stayed in Room 9 which was a split level suite, which, in addition to all of the technology- flat screen, coffee pods, I pod dock, was filled with lovely touches including rose petals on the bed, champagne and hand made truffles. We also loved the DVD library so you could snuggle up in the suite to watch a movie at night.
The village pub across the road had a lovely atmosphere and food too.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who dealt with all queries professionally and discreetly.
The negative views expressed on Trip Advisor really should be ignored, as since the owners of Calcot Manor have taken over, the hotel has dramatically improved the décor and service.

All in all, the hotel and spa is truly wonderful and without a doubt, the best hotel that my husband and I have stayed in the UK.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DallasukHerts
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Al 3 kids at their grandparents and off we went Friday late afternoon for 2 nights. Arrived around 7:30 and went straight to our room, the Potting Shed. This suite was actually across the path next to the farm so felt a little secluded but wow, what a room. Should be for £525 a night!

Restaurant was great as was service and food.
Spa was lovely, relaxing and just what the doctor ordered.
Village Pub was informal, relaxed and very tasty.

All in all, a fabulous time in a very pretty part of the world. Would Definately go back

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Reuben111
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have just returned from a two night stay at Barnsley House. It is a beautiful Hotel, the grounds are very pretty with gorgeous borders secret pools and hideaways. We had lovely weather and there are gorgeous seating areas both inside and out. I travelled with my Mum & Sister and we took advantage of the pampering on offer. We had facials and massages which were fab and used the gorgeous outside spa pool with huge taps cascading water on top of you. The relaxation room is lovely with huge sofas, candles and plenty of brand new magazines perfect. The food is amazing we ate both in the Village pub and in the restaurant and the choice and quality is superb, although by evening two I couldn't manage a pud! The breakfast is also wonderful.
My sister and I had a room in the converted stable block as we required a twin, it was nice however my Mum's double in the main Hotel was nicer with a lovely roll top bath and gorgeous furnishings.
We went to some lovely villages in the daytime, Broadway, Bourton On Water and Stow, the scenery on our way was fantastic and the buildings are beautiful. I also must stay that the staff are friendly and extremely helpful and the service is immaculate in the bar (took advantage of champagne cocktails), the restaurant and the spa.
I would recommend Barnsley House as a romantic hideaway it is perfect for couples to get away and relax, I will be trying to persuade my hubby to book for us next time!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at Barnsley House in April, and liked it so much that we're going back for New Years Eve (I hope it's as enjoyable in the winter). I love the stylish interior which is modern yet charming. It goes well with the authentic Cotswolds exterior. We thought the gradens were very pretty, and enjoyed our meals both here and in the Village Pub. Soaking in the claw footed bath tub was great! Also the small heated outdoor pool was lovely, but we were lucky as noone else was in there, otherwise it'd be a bit crowded and awkward. It wasn't perfect though, the service was spotty - I was brought a main course which I didn't order (though the manager was kind about this and offered us a free bottle of wine) and breakfast service was incredibly slow and I had to remind staff to replace empty jam jars, clear our table etc. The pool was out of service on the second day we were there which wasn't ideal as one does pay top price to stay here. I didn't like the tiny lounge area, and I hope that this doesn't mar our next stay here as it will be the wintertime and there is nowhere else to relax inside.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank intrepidgirlLondon
Bristol
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for my 30th birthday and we had such an amazing time. We had room 2- and we were blown away with the SIZE of it, as well as the decor which was a perfect blend of modern calm colours, luxurious fabrics with a classic v modern twist. The bathroom was enourmous with original extra wide plank floorboards, a super sized jacuzzi bath, equally enourmous shower and two sinks and a feature fireplace. Both the main room and the bathroom had beautiful windows framing beautiful views of the garden. We had champagne and sandwiches from room service when we arrived- service was prompt and the sandwiches were yummy.

We spent a couple of hours in the beautiful spa and came away so relaxed. There is a cinema room too but we didnt have time to use that.

The rest of the hotel is beautifully decorated and elegantly furnished, but again with a modern twist. There were beautiful displays of flowers everywhere. The weather was good for us and the terrace with its big white umbrellas was a perfect setting for a chilled glass of wine and looking out onto the lawn and gardens.

Our evening meal was at The Village Pub just along the road from Barnsley house and the food and service there were fantastic.

We slept so well in the big and very comfy bed. Bed linen/ pillows/ duvet etc all high quality. Super-fluffy towels too!

To finish our stay- a delicious breakfast comprising fresh fruits, yogurt, cereals, choice of juices, freshly baked pastries (you can help yourself to as much as you like) and toast and then a cooked breakfast too!! (A recent reviewer complained of too little to eat for breakfast- are you mad??) You will not go hungry here!

Service from staff was first class- polite, happy and effecient.
We L.O.V.E. this hotel and how relaxed and pampered we felt when we were there, and If I am ever lucky enough to go back, Im having room 2 again!

Thanks to Brilliant Barnsley.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trinabeans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,016 reviews

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!