“Loved it”

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

Al 3 kids at their grandparents and off we went Friday late afternoon for 2 nights. Arrived around 7:30 and went straight to our room, the Potting Shed. This suite was actually across the path next to the farm so felt a little secluded but wow, what a room. Should be for £525 a night!

Restaurant was great as was service and food.
Spa was lovely, relaxing and just what the doctor ordered.
Village Pub was informal, relaxed and very tasty.

All in all, a fabulous time in a very pretty part of the world. Would Definately go back

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Reuben111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have just returned from a two night stay at Barnsley House. It is a beautiful Hotel, the grounds are very pretty with gorgeous borders secret pools and hideaways. We had lovely weather and there are gorgeous seating areas both inside and out. I travelled with my Mum & Sister and we took advantage of the pampering on offer. We had facials and massages which were fab and used the gorgeous outside spa pool with huge taps cascading water on top of you. The relaxation room is lovely with huge sofas, candles and plenty of brand new magazines perfect. The food is amazing we ate both in the Village pub and in the restaurant and the choice and quality is superb, although by evening two I couldn't manage a pud! The breakfast is also wonderful.
My sister and I had a room in the converted stable block as we required a twin, it was nice however my Mum's double in the main Hotel was nicer with a lovely roll top bath and gorgeous furnishings.
We went to some lovely villages in the daytime, Broadway, Bourton On Water and Stow, the scenery on our way was fantastic and the buildings are beautiful. I also must stay that the staff are friendly and extremely helpful and the service is immaculate in the bar (took advantage of champagne cocktails), the restaurant and the spa.
I would recommend Barnsley House as a romantic hideaway it is perfect for couples to get away and relax, I will be trying to persuade my hubby to book for us next time!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at Barnsley House in April, and liked it so much that we're going back for New Years Eve (I hope it's as enjoyable in the winter). I love the stylish interior which is modern yet charming. It goes well with the authentic Cotswolds exterior. We thought the gradens were very pretty, and enjoyed our meals both here and in the Village Pub. Soaking in the claw footed bath tub was great! Also the small heated outdoor pool was lovely, but we were lucky as noone else was in there, otherwise it'd be a bit crowded and awkward. It wasn't perfect though, the service was spotty - I was brought a main course which I didn't order (though the manager was kind about this and offered us a free bottle of wine) and breakfast service was incredibly slow and I had to remind staff to replace empty jam jars, clear our table etc. The pool was out of service on the second day we were there which wasn't ideal as one does pay top price to stay here. I didn't like the tiny lounge area, and I hope that this doesn't mar our next stay here as it will be the wintertime and there is nowhere else to relax inside.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank intrepidgirlLondon
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for my 30th birthday and we had such an amazing time. We had room 2- and we were blown away with the SIZE of it, as well as the decor which was a perfect blend of modern calm colours, luxurious fabrics with a classic v modern twist. The bathroom was enourmous with original extra wide plank floorboards, a super sized jacuzzi bath, equally enourmous shower and two sinks and a feature fireplace. Both the main room and the bathroom had beautiful windows framing beautiful views of the garden. We had champagne and sandwiches from room service when we arrived- service was prompt and the sandwiches were yummy.

We spent a couple of hours in the beautiful spa and came away so relaxed. There is a cinema room too but we didnt have time to use that.

The rest of the hotel is beautifully decorated and elegantly furnished, but again with a modern twist. There were beautiful displays of flowers everywhere. The weather was good for us and the terrace with its big white umbrellas was a perfect setting for a chilled glass of wine and looking out onto the lawn and gardens.

Our evening meal was at The Village Pub just along the road from Barnsley house and the food and service there were fantastic.

We slept so well in the big and very comfy bed. Bed linen/ pillows/ duvet etc all high quality. Super-fluffy towels too!

To finish our stay- a delicious breakfast comprising fresh fruits, yogurt, cereals, choice of juices, freshly baked pastries (you can help yourself to as much as you like) and toast and then a cooked breakfast too!! (A recent reviewer complained of too little to eat for breakfast- are you mad??) You will not go hungry here!

Service from staff was first class- polite, happy and effecient.
We L.O.V.E. this hotel and how relaxed and pampered we felt when we were there, and If I am ever lucky enough to go back, Im having room 2 again!

Thanks to Brilliant Barnsley.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trinabeans
St Albans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just returned from 3 nights in Barnsley House Hotel and in a nutshell despite enjoying my stay I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone.
I was a little concerned reading a few negative reviews on here before booking, but put them down to the sometime ‘nit-picky’ nature of a few of the reviewers on here. Now however, I know exactly what they all mean.
For me there was nothing specifically wrong with the hotel, just quite a number of minor but annoying areas where attention to detail or care and attention is sorely lacking. If you were paying 3-4 star prices then most reasonable people would overlook these things…….but here you are most definitely being charged 5 star prices without the quality to match.

At great risk of joining the ranks of the nit-picky…….here’s just some of the little things that took the edge off our stay;

- ‘Famous Gardens’ (their words), overrun with weeds and poorly maintained, if any member of the general public ever pays £7.50 to see these as their website suggests I would eat my hat.

- Not one single soft seat anywhere outside in the grounds, we went to nearby Bibury Court for afternoon Tea as we just wanted to sit in the sun and read our books….can’t do that at Barnsley House.

- Afternoon Tea on the terrace…….only six tables and beware if they ever have anyone at them as the clueless staff just can’t cope with 6 sets of guests. Of the 3 sandwich choices 2 were out of stock. One because they had no bacon……a hotel without bacon !!! Awful long delays for any kind of service.

- Breakfast, well cooked but very poorly presented and a bit mean….one egg, one rasher of bacon and one small sausage. Kipper (not kippers…just one) on it’s own no egg.

- Our room smelled of drains throughout our stay coming from our lovely but smelly bathroom…….a bit of bleach maybe ??

- Oh and not to forget the hotel is adjacent to a working farm so factor in early morning noise and lots and lots of persistent flies coming in through the windows that you have to keep open at night because of the heat.

There are far too many excellent alternatives to choose from in the Cotswolds (or the rest of the UK for that matter) particularly at these sort of prices to put up with anything less than the best or at very least somewhere that is having a good try .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Skmark
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Barnsley House this week whilst our son was away on a school trip. All I can say is that the hotel was exceptional.

We had 2 nights in room no.3. The room was not huge but was very well furnished with a seating area in front of the window. It has a four poster bed which is a king size. It was very comfortable and gave good nights sleep. The room was decorated and furnished to a high standard.

As I mentioned, there is a seating area with two comfortable seats directly in front of the window. The window looks out onto the front of the hotel across some lawns down the driveway to the entrance. It is a very pleasant view.

There is a large flat screen TV on the wall that comes with satellite HD TV and a DVD player (your can borrow DVD's) Not that the TV was used by us very much. There is also a B&W ipod docking station that works with the more recent models. There is also a complimentary mini bar that comes with a selection of soft drinks. It also has tea and coffee making facilities.

The bathroom is very large and comes with a walk-in shower and a roll top bath that is big enough for two. Complimentary liquid soaps and moisturisers are provided and are of a good quality; as are robes and slippers. Both of us really liked the bathroom.

The rest of the hotel is very tastefully decorated and comfortable. There were a couple of lounges and a cosy bar. The restaurant was particularly pleasant. The food was excellent and the waiting staff attentive and helpful. The menu is limited but we enjoyed what was on offer. Try the Vincigrassi, lamb, fillet of beef and the cheeses. The produce was of a good quality. Again, breakfast was very good. There was a choice of full English, scrambled or poached eggs, eggs Benedict, porridge, cereals etc

The hotel has beautiful gardens that are well worth strolling around. There is tennis court if that takes your fancy, a spa and it even has its own cinema for your personal use.

It’s a very nice hotel for a romantic break and is not really a place for children. That’s a subjective comment but I wouldn’t take mine there to spoil it for others.

It is expensive but if you baulk at the price then it’s not for you. We stayed on a dinner bed & breakfast basis and that cost £325 per night for two adults. There are no service charges added to your final bill so all gratuities are discretionary.

If I were an overseas visitor I would love to stay at Barnsley House, as it is quintessentially English in a lovely part of England.

In summary, the hotel was exceptional and I cannot fault it. Hopefully complacency doesn’t allow standards to slip in the future. Will I be going back? Most definitely!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

My partner and I visited Barnsley House several years ago, shortly after it had first opened. There were a few teething problems in those early days, slightly haphazard service, nice but not amazing rooms, a bar that felt a little like you were having a drink in a corridor and no spa. However, what was breathtaking were the beautiful gardens, and I had hoped to return again once the hotel was more established so I could see the beautiful gardens again. Several years have passed and Barnsley is now under new management, so my now husband granted my wish and I returned for an overnight spa break with my sister.

Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready (we were early) so the hotel reception took our bags and invited us to have a drink at the bar or take lunch. We were starving, so took them up on their latter offer and had lunch on the terrace. The weather was surprisingly hot and sunny so we got the chance to soak up the sun and gaze out over the gardens. I had hoped the gardens would be as lovely as the last time I visited, and they didn't disappoint! They are stunning, and in the glorious weather were an absolute joy to wander around whilst sipping a glass of chilled white wine, stopping every now and again to sit on a bench in a folly and take in the views. The food at lunch was very good, both our fish dishes were cooked to perfection and desert of plum crumble and creme anglais was delicious!

We waddled from the terrace to the spa for our treatments. The spa has recently been extended with an outdoor hydrotherapy pool situated outside in a zen grassed courtyard with pretty water feature. The perfect place to relax on sun loungers whilst being overlooked by the cows in the neighbouring fields!! The treatment rooms and relaxation areas are all plushly furnished and both mine and my sister's massages and pedicures were very good. The staff in the spa by the way were lovely, very friendly and helpful. My sister changed her choice of treatment twice and they happily accommodated the change with no fuss or trouble.

The only slight disappointment was our bedroom. We were in the stable block set in beautiful gardens. However, although the facilities were great (complimentary soft drinks in the fridge, tea and coffee and fresh mint for mint tea. Biscuits, DVD's, flat screen TV etc) the room looked like it could have had slightly more attention to detail paid to it for the money. There were areas in the bathroom that looked like they'd had a rushed paint job. Paint was missing, skirting boards hanging loose and cobwebs in the corner of the bath. Our cupboard door didn't close properly and the only full length mirror was inside this cupboard door which was pretty much unusable! My bedside light also didn't work. Small things, but for a hotel of this standard, not what I'd expected.

This aside we had a lovely relaxing stay and would definitely return. Oh, and more good news - the bar - and all other common spaces have been fully refurbished since the new owners took over in March and all are very homely in decor, modern with a classic twist. And as an extra plus point, the corridor bar is no more!! It has been transformed into a cosy little salon.... perfect for pre dinner drinks. All in all, a perfect place for a relaxing stay in a beautiful spot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,000 reviews

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!