“The quintessential country house”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here December 2012 with my wife. It's a beautiful country house in the quintessential Cotswold village. The room we had was on the first floor overlooking the rear garden. It's nicely decorated, nice bed which was fairly comfy. The bathroom was down a small flight of stairs, but it was huge with double baths , double vanity and a rather large shower. It's all decorated in a very stripped back style with a lot of th original floor boards and elements of marble. The bedroom is nicely styled with a lot of the original features like the windows and fireplace. You should note its a historic property so the floors while original are also a little wavy and uneven, but this is characterful. We also had dinner in the restaraunt in the evening. It was fantastic some of the best food we have had in a while and quite a surprise to find it in England. They grow a lot of their produce on site, they have a kitchen garden and get their eggs from their own chickens. A lot of their other produce is sourced very locally. The hotel has a spa in the grounds. My wife and I both had treatments here. Again it's a beautiful spa, with a good range of treatments. The staff were lovely and made us both feel very welcome.
You should also check out the pub in the village which is also owned by the hotel. We visited for lunch by the roaring fire. Again the food was faultless which was a nice surprise and fairly reasonably priced for the quality.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the front get the cars driving up the driveway. So you may want a room overloo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Barnsley House

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night in August and our only regret is that we didn't get to eat in the restaurant as we had a function to attend. The room and bathroom were beautifully decorated in a really individual style and the rest of the hotel and gardens were of the highest standard. We had time to use the spa in the morning which I would highly recommend. The breakfast was excellent also. One of the best hotels we've stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I booked an anniversary celebration and pre baby arrival couple of nights away. I am 30 weeks pregnant and was really looking forward to a rather extravagant couple of nights away. On arrival we walked down into the little basement reception room to discover it was unmanned. I stayed in the office with the bags and my husband popped up to find someone. When he did the gentleman came to the top of the stairs and asked something I dint hear at the time, my husband later confirmed he had looked at me and asked "would you like to retrieve yourself?"... I said "Pardon?" He replied, 'would you like to come up here." So I kind of looked at the bags and he said "oh, would you like a hand with those?" "Yes, that would be helpful", I replied. On the way to the room he asked how was your journey....long I said, where have you come from, Windsor I replied....oh that's not far he said...well, I guess all journeys feel long when you're 6 months pregnant, I replied. We were then taken to a room up two flights of stairs, beautiful room but as I got up therei noticed the temperature increase somewhat. Being heavily pregnant I asked about the air conditioning....at £380 a night, you do expect it! We were informed there was no airconditioning. I asked if it was possible to be moved to a room with air conditioning, which we were moved to, only aircon in the lounge, not the bedroom. I could go on but generally serice was poor, in particular on one evening when we ate in the pub over the road and had terrible service sat outside. Items forgotten, waiting a long time for everything, drinks, first course...when main course came my husband had fish and chips brought out when he ordered fish cakes, after a long wait it was tempting to accept the fish and chips but we did ask them to change it. I think this is potentially where my steak went wrong, after asking for it medium rare when they came back with the correct main course for my husband the steak was well cooked. I mentioned it to the waiter and he said he would check it with the chef, he then returned to the table with the same steak to tell me the chef said it was medium rare....that has literally never happened to me before, I've never heard of it and I work in hotels!! I then insisted it was not medium rare and he took it back to the kitchen and it was replaced with a perfectly cooked, medium rare steak....eventually we got our meal.

We had hired the cinema room that evening so went to reception to be let in. I had read they had snacks available so asked to have some popcorn, to be told "well, yes we could but the popcorn would take half an hour to make!!?? It was clearly not something they wanted to do... I make popcorn at home in under 10 minutes in the saucepan!

All in all, a lovely location, beautiful accommodation, fantastic food, when they get it right....at breakfasts requests for brown toast were serviced with white and food orders forgotten until reminders made to the staff....when you get the food it's of an exceptional quality, can't fault it. But a chef telling the customer that he was happy with the way it was cooked so I should be happy with it too, when it was clearly overcooked...I never send food back! Was the icing on the cake re the service....poor, a real let down and a real shame as everything else was very good....as you'd expect for the money!

In short, if they spend more time training the staff to be welcoming, accommodating and proactive with their approach I would recommend, but given the current lack of serice and care, I'd say, find somewhere for less money where the value for money and kindness of staff is genuine.

Knowing they had a pregnant lady arriving (which we did inform them of before hand), you think our needs would have been catered to better, air conditioning, no stairs. Knowing we had the cinema booked, they could have contacted us earlier that day to take a preorder of snacks...if popcorn really does take 30 minutes....we weren't even offered any drinks!

We did enjoy our two days, we had beautiful treatments in the spa, where the service is very good. We were also looked after by a great breakfast waitress on the Thursday morning, but to give a balanced view, I've been looked after better in the local Holiday Inn at a fraction of the price!

Room Tip: Ask abut aircon if you are visiting during a hot summer
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joanna M
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed last night at Barnsley House and found it too be charming.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Emma who couldn't have been nicer. From start to finish she made sure every detail of our stay was perfect. We had just flown in and were jet lagged and our perfect cozy room and comfortable bed was just what was needed. Our room and the whole hotel was tastefully decorated. We walked down to the pub for dinner to receive exceptional service.
Our breakfast this morning was delicious. We will definitely stay here in the future.

Room Tip: Booked dinner inside the pub ( just down the road within walking distance of barnsley house/ which t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Mine and my mums first time in the Cotswolds and we were so lucky to have been the first guests to experience Barnsley Houses new addition cottage in the village ( near the village pub) . We were told we had booked the day the pictures were uploaded and for the first time in our lives did I say that the pictures where not good enough for what they are trying to sell ! a beautiful, charming yet humble experience. I cannot emphasise enough how lovely everything was. I mention a multi sensual experience as they really did achieve everything our 5 senses expect for the money you pay .

I must say this place is one were many good memories will be formed and it was so sad leaving going back to London into our daily lives BUT WE WILL BE BACK:D.

The only negative I have to say was that the internet was not yet assembled in the cottage but everything else was so perfect that I could not even mention it as a difficulty and i could just walk down to the village pub and catch their signal

The cottage is full of character both in and outside. Everything is done in a designful manner yet keeping it very practical aswell. On top of it, the cottage was dog friendly so our little Jack could have the time of his life in the garden in the back.

thanks

kvv

Room Tip: choose the cottage , simple
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Our first time in the Cotswolds and so glad we found this hotel. Always worried about trying to find a decent dog friendly hotel but paying that little extra was definelty worth it.
We stayed in one of the Stable rooms, beautifully decorated and especially loved the bath on the mezz level.

It was little touches that made the stay so perfect including the "night time" tea bags left on the pillow case for when you return to your room at night...I have been drinking them every night since!

The hotel was immaculate and the staff were extremely friendly.

Hoping to return again very soon and to enjoy the spa treatments, we regret not booking them before hand last time as they were fully booked when we got there.

Great little pub (dog friendly) over the road which serve super yummy food! Locals are very pleasant too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xxloolaxx
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at Barnsley House. This is a great place to come to for a special occasion. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, and it’s in a perfect location for exploring the Cotswolds.

The room and bathroom were very impressive, and during the weekend it was the ‘little touches’ which made the stay feel special (for example, finding tea cups laid out every evening with ‘night time’ herbal tea sachets, plus the fresh fruit and replenished supplies of lovely fruit juice). The bed was luxuriously comfortable, the room felt spacious, and the views from both bedroom and bathroom were so nice. There is also Sky Sports, which my partner was very pleased about!

The hotel is beautifully decorated, and nothing beats sitting outside in the lovely garden in the sun, with a bottle of wine (or champagne…).

Breakfast was perfect – there is a wonderful buffet as well as cooked breakfast you can order. The porridge with clotted cream was the best I’ve ever had.

Dinner was very good; however, I had informed the staff that we were here for a special occasion (my partner’s birthday) and they had confirmed that this was noted, but they didn’t do anything for us. I was expecting something like complimentary ‘petit fours’ or a small dessert of some sort, as many restaurants do.

Also – quite a big disappointment for us – the sleep quality was pretty poor because of the level of noise. We were in room number 3 which is located just up the stairs from the main (and also restaurant) entrance, and, as a light sleeper, I found the noise level unacceptable (for this class of hotel, and for the room price paid). At night you could hear the music from downstairs, and in the morning you could hear the staff preparing the dining room for breakfast as well as people coming and going very early. So this room isn’t great if you want a nice relaxing lie-in.

For this reason, I’m giving Barnsley House four of out five, but if it were not for the noise issue then I would have given it five.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Calcot Manor
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!