Barnsley House
Riverside House(Cirencester)
Kings Head Hotel(Cirencester)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsvillage pubpotager restaurantthe secret gardenafternoon teaspa treatmentsprivate gardengardens are beautifulrelaxation roomsorbetjunior suitesteam roompotting shedhotel restauranthydrotherapy poollittle toucheshomemade biscuitsstable yard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We celebrated our recent wedding overseas with a dinner for family and close friends at Barnsley House and it was excellent. The staff are fantastic and looked after us very well and Natalie was delightful helping us organise everything. Roaring log fires on a very cold night were extremely welcoming and the hotel has a lovely informal and cosy feeling about it. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. We didn't have time to experience the spa unfortunately but our room (16) - to which they had kindly upgraded us - was very spacious, light and comfortable with an huge bathroom upstairs. Breakfast too was excellent. We will be back....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Traveled from New York with my teenage sons and stayed for 6 delightful nights. The Barnsley House, a gorgeous boutique hotel, was perfect in every way; from the beautiful house and gardens to the cozy snug with roaring fireplace, (perfect for a before and/or after dinner cocktail, and they do have some delightful signature ones!), to the lovely sitting room, also with fireplace, perfect for afternoon tea, or to just sit and relax in their overstuffed cozy sofas, this trip was truly the best.. Our room (no.4), was just so perfect for us; a large bedroom with a long corridor that lead to a separate sitting room (perfect for my sons). I understood that the bathroom was recently remodeled and it certainly was, to the highest standard. The breakfast was outstanding with fresh farm eggs from the nearby farm. The hotel restaurant also was excellent using only fresh local produce, as was The Village Pub (same owner and just a short stroll away). But perhaps what made our stay so perfect were the outstanding staff who were so warm, welcoming, and helpful, and made us feel Barnsley House was truly our home away from home, so much so, that we didn't want to leave and tried to extend our stay. Next time we will know to book for longer, because we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in number 4. Very large with a big bedroom, with queen size bed, overlooking the lovely back garden. a step down to the dressing area with great built in cupboard, big enough to hold all our clothes for a week. The bedroom leads to a living room with beautiful old shutters and picture perfect window seats. The bathroom is newly remodeled and is very modern. It overlooks the front.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had a wonderful mid-week break at Barnsley House. From the staff on arrival to the treatment in the spa and service in the restaurant, everything was spot on.
We stayed in the Secret Garden suite, which was very spacious and comfortable. Rather impressive egg-shaped bath too, if that floats your boat.
Food was excellent in the restaurant, but we also had a great dinner in their village pub just up the road. Great local ales and roaring fire.
Would definitely come back here again.

Room Tip: Secret Garden suite was stunning
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I escaped to the Cotswolds for a three break away from the builders who have taken up residence at our house in London. What a delightful boutique hotel this is - from the simplicity but great comfort of the rooms to the superb restaurant. Great staff, friendly helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We didn't want to leave and will most certainly go back. I can thoroughly recommend the wonderful starter/main of Vincisgrassi - the house speciality. I ate it every day I was there it was so good! The cinema was lovely too.

Highly recommended if you want to chill for a few days in the country, it's very laid back here. We'll be back when the weather improves to explore the countryside some more - and the menu.

Room Tip: Main house was great in winter - lovely rooms in the stables area but you have to walk outside to get to the restaurant. There's always room service of course.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My sister is approaching a "big" birthday and I decided as I live in London and she lives in Cardiff to take her away for the night to a convenient middle ground location. Having researched a number of Cotswold country houses I decided upon Barnsley House.

The choice could not have been better, from the efficient booking (I called them) to the rate they gave me for 2 rooms, (The midweek spa package). I had mentioned the reason for my stay and all including spa treatment and dinner was booked directly and confirmed.

On arrival (1pm) one room was not ready, so we checked into the other. left out bas and went to The Village Pub, also owned by them. Great place, good food ambience etc., but no "snack" menu per say. you cant just get a sandwich. We ended up having a starter and a bottle of wine!

The spa was great as was the treatment. the cocktails before dinner ok, and dinner itself excellent. the staff are extremely friendly, but professional. the acknowledged my sisters birthday, with a card and some chocolate, which was a nice touch. it has a cosy atmosphere in the bar/lounge and we got talking to other guests. everyone was having a good time.

The room was superb, comfy bed, plenty of pillows, steam/shower in the room, lovely towels and soaps etc.

Again breakfast was well stocked, just enough, and cooked local produce. all in all a very lovely stay and we will definitely go back.

keep it up.