“Disappointing Afternoon Tea and Service”
Review of Barnsley House

Barnsley House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Reviewed June 29, 2012

A group of five of us came from London to see their Open Garden Day. We paid £10 to include tea and cake. The gardens were brilliant but the tea was a let down. We waited half an hour to be served only to be told they had run out of cake. After a further long wait we finally received some tiny portions of cake which looked like they had been cut in half to make them go around. There was only one waiter who was very willing but clearly unable to cope on his own. It was a disappointing end to our day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I booked 3 midweek nights as a mini break at short notice. I took my Scottie along too! I thought the service was excellent and everyone very friendly. I had dinner in the hotel and wasn't made to feel awkward eating on my own. The day was broken up with lovely spa treatments and walks around the beautiful gardens and adjoining fields.
I can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: I advised I was bringing a dog and was given a courtyard room. That was great as I just needed to op...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2012

What an amazing hotel! We celebrated my wife's birthday in this very English country house, and were completely satisfied.

The staff were very friendly and made sure we had a good stay (even keeping my home-baked cake in the kitchen fridge). Food in the restaurant was excellent, and we both enjoyed the sauna and heated outdoor swimming pool of the spa.

Our room was very spacious and full of character, with exposed beams and a view over the well-kept gardens - perfect for a romantic weekend stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Big thanks to the gardener excellent work,

Food big disappointment.

5 very small scallops with a table spoon of butter bean puree which had no flavour and 3 wilted spinach leaves all cold. Isle of mull scallops, I don't think so.

I ordered coffee, it spit out over me the cup and saucer, coffee with white sugar really! forgotten petite fours when requested they showed up 15 minutes after coffee was finished, Jelly square or a blob of very poor chocolate truffle piped badly into a paper case not even the same size.
No management on that evening service not even asked did we enjoy our meal experence by service staff. Shame on you!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed here on our 'mini moon' after our wedding! It was absolutely luxury! A disco ball and a jacuzzi in our room! Amazing cocktails, food; fantastic full body massage and the spa was amazing! We also had a private viewing in the cinema the next day! My husband and I have never spent so much on 1 night away but for a special occassion Barnsley House is a must!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

The Team and I are delighted you had such a wonderful experience. We are grateful that our efforts are a welcomed and appreciated.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night in May for my birthday, having thoroughly enjoyed our stay here last year for our wedding anniversary (see my previous review). We came back for more of the same, and this is exactly what we got!

Our room, a Stableyard Suite (no. 19), was spacious, light and airy. It had a slightly unusual layout with bed, shower and toilet downstairs and "living room" and whirlpool bath upstairs. The room was brilliantly kitted out for a lazy and relaxing night away with TVs & DVD players upstairs and downstairs, an armful of the latest glossy magazines, nespresso machine and complimentary juices and cookies. The Aromatherapy Associates toiletries, comfy robes and slippers were lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The food once again, both at dinner and breakfast, was highly enjoyable and good quality, using many locally-sourced ingredients. Once again, we had excellent service, with professional yet friendly waiting staff.

Our package included a spa voucher so I enjoyed a wonderful Rose Indulgence treatment which is super-relaxing. The spa's relaxation room with magazines and sorbets is a wonderful place to retreat for a few hours.

So, once again, a wonderful stay at Barnsley House...no doubt we'll be back for a third visit sometime soon!

Room Tip: We actually preferred room 16 (a Stableyard Room) that we had on our first visit last year to the St...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is easily the best English hotel I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in a fair few over the years. My room was incredibly large and airy with windows looking over three sides of the property. The bed was a fantastic size and wonderfully comfortable. From the bedroom I went down two steps into a bathroom that was larger than my first flat. It had beautiful wood floors and fantastic views.

The service was excellent and dinner in the restaurant was out of this world - if you can't afford to stay here at least go for a meal.

The gardens are beautiful and you feel very free to roam and explore. And while exploring be sure to drop into the spa which has a small heated outdoor pool with hydrotherapy points. The treatments are top-notch.

All-in-all I don't have a bad word to say about Barnsley House. If you are looking for a romantic weekend break book a room now.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room One and would heartily recommend it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 8 in Cirencester
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!