“Poor Room, Good Service”
Review of Cricklade House

Cricklade House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cricklade
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel as part of a Travelzoo offer. This made it good value, but I would not have been happy if I had paid full price.
The hotel is clean but needs a little TLC. The main issue was the bedroom, although clean & reasonable large with a comfortable bed, it needed the decor to be brought up to date & there were lots of areas on the skirting boards that were without paint. The room was freezing cold, despite the one radiator being on high, & I had to ask reception for an electric heater. Surely someone knew how cold the room was! The bathroom was again clean with very plush large towels, but the shower came out as a trickle - we couldn't be bothered to shower on the morning we left, it was too much like hard work! We also shared the bathroom with a few ants - I did feed this back to reception. There was no soap in the bathroom, when I asked reception for some I was told to use the shower gel!
Now the positives, really liked the conservatory area, comfortable area to sit & relax and the veranda and its views, the food was good and the most impressive element of the hotel was its staff, polite and professional.

Room Tip: Ask if the have a 'warm' room!
1  Thank TedSouthWales

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I obtained a travel zoo discount to take my husband to Cricklade Hotel for our 3rd anniversary for one night which we took on the 6th April 2013.
It was a lovely hotel with peaceful surroundings. However, the food we thought at dinner was not up to scratch when my husband ordered the Lamb which came to him very rare, he asked for it to be taken back,and it came back a little better,however the next day and the day after he had diarrhoea ++. Was it because of the Lamb? Who Knows!!! He should have been asked how he likes his meat cooked and he wasn't asked.
A couple on another table asked for their fish to be taken back too as it was'nt cooked properly too!!!
Portions too were very small,Cooked breakfast the following day was very nice.
Not sure if we would go back there again however the town of Cricklade was a delight and the local pub was lovely.

Room Tip: Let the waiter/waiteress know how you like your meat/fish cooked because they won't ask you!
1  Thank Helen C
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked the deal via Travel Zoo over the Easter period. The deal was a very good value for money. Hotel - little tired looking needs an update but very clean. Rooms - same need updating but no issues with anything. Dinner - excellent. Breakfast - excellent apart from quite a long wait and other guests ordering after getting served before - a little annoying.Good location to visit places but Cricklade itself is not pictureresque.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Second visit to Cricklade House Hotel, had a family room where the two single beds were infinitely more comfortable than the double which was way too soft and springy for me. Bathroom was excellent, clean, light and roomy.
Our room was under the eaves of the courtyard, ie. not in the main house and it was a little dark inside, but quite comfortable. It was a cold weekend so walking across for meals wasn't too pleasant and previously we stayed in the house which was much nicer.
The pool was good and has a lovely view when the windows aren't misted up, but the jacuzzi looked a bit like too many people had been in that hadn't showered off their body lotion, so we didn't use it.
Breakfast was ok - we're not fans of the full english, but our poached eggs were good and the coffee was good and strong. All in all a comfortable stay in a lovely part of the country.

Room Tip: If you don't walk to walk outside to your meals or the bar, make sure you stay in the main build...
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Nice place to stay. Room 21 in Annex great, with large bedroom and 2nd bedroom and lovely decorated bathroom. Window views were over parts of the golf course and the small courtyard. The children (ages 11 and 9) were overjoyed with the room. Because Rooms 21 and 20 share one stairwell, could be good for 2 families/friends. Food excellent, bar menu better suited for children though. First time of staying, but many times eaten and played golf. Swimming pool good size and warm but changing rooms cold and small. Staff very helpful. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 9112hayley
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went here for Easter Sunday and stayed until Monday, we had an offer from Travel Zoo which was £99 for two people and included accomodation, use of the spa facilities, tennis courts, pool tables, 3 course dinner and full breakfast. Fantastic value.

The hotel is set on a golf course and is in very peaceful surroundings, we had a room in one of the little out houses which was very cute. The actual hotel and spa facilities could do with a bit of TLC, especially the spa which was really just a shallow very small swimming pool and very small jacuzzi but we still made the most of having a swin and then going in the gym for a while. Due to the brilliant value we were not too bothered about the slightly shabby pool.

In the evening we had booked dinner for 9.30pm and the staff were very accomodating when we asked if we could sit earlier. We were in the Ball Room which was lovely, service was good and the food was very nice.

All in all a very enjoyable stay but before you book visit Travel Zoo and buy a voucher first.

3  Thank lennie12
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Sooo.....where to go with this one?

Basically, it starts with the realisation that the bank holiday weekend beckons and no plans have been made. Saw a deal on Travelzoo on this hotel and thought that a night away with dinner would make a nice long weekend into something a little bit special.

The start of the Sunday was good, drove from home down to the Cotswolds. Very pretty, had good expectations. Got to the hotel in the afternoon and it looked ok.
Walked into reception and booked in, all ok, staff were pleasant and helpful.
Our room was outside of the hotel in a separate block. I wasn't too concerned with this (although I wouldn't have been so happy if it were raining)..

Anyway, got to the room and I was pleasantly suprised. The decor was nice, the bathroom looked nice. The view was of the car park which wasn't quite so nice, but hey ho. When we dropped off our stuff we decided to pop back into the hotel to have some lunch and a drink.

The bar area and conservatory seemed nice, the view was good. Again the staff were friendly enough. My only issue at this point really was the incredibly subdued atmosphere but that was more about the people in the room I think.

Soo....we ordered a couple of sandwiches and beer. The beer was fine, no complaints there. The sandwich looked nice, pretty big with some crisps on the side. The bread was fresh, the beef was pretty generous. The only issue with the beef was the fact that you couldn't actually bite into it without taking the entire contents of the sandwich out onto your face every time. Maybe that was me and I have some problem with my 'bite'!

Anyhow....from there, things were alright. Went back to the room and just relaxed for a while, the tv worked, had Freeview and three Sky Sports channels so all good there.

Decided we would go back to the hotel at around 7. At about half six I decided to start getting ready. Went into the bathroom and stepped in to have a shower. Now I know you need to give a shower a few minutes to get to temperature...but!...... I stood there....and stood there... while freezing cold water continued to cascade (very gently... I will come back to that) out of the shower. In the end I left the shower runining and went and sat back in the bedroom. Waited about 5 minutes and went back. It was only just tepid at this point. I started getting a strop on to be honest..... I was just thinking about giving up when finally it got to a temperature I thought I would be able to stand.

So, now the shower is warm.....but it dribbles out of the shower head like drizzle on a wet cold Monday morning. It takes FOREVER to wash my hair..... I hated it.

Moving on from there....finally showergate is over and I am dressed and ready for some fun :)

Go into the hotel and through to the bar...... find a sofa and relax. Get some drinks....its all ok. Then the realisation that again the atmosphere is soooo depressing. Just small groups of people very, very quietly speaking. YAWN.
Can't blame the hotel for the boredom I guess but it was definitely lacking in something.

Never mind, time for dinner. At this point I must admit that the lady who offered us menus etc was very friendly, nice and jovial. We looked at the menus and bearing in mind that this was a Travelzoo deal, thought the menu looked alright for the money.

We both ordered the same. The starter was effectively supposed to be a crab fishcake with a crab sauce, although called something much more fancy. The reality of this was a breaded rice ball with some tasteless soapy looking drizzle on the plate. It wasn't good, I didn't like it, the other half thought it was alright.

The main. Yay for pork. I was very happy that a pork dish was on the menu as pork is my favourite. It was supposed to have been pork loin with roast potatoes, veg etc. What turned up was filth. I don't even know what it was in a previous life but what I do know was that I ate it out of hunger and for no other reason. I am assuming the hotel decided to dish out some old slop just because it was a Travelzoo deal so we paid a whole £40 less than usual. Whatever the excuse, I was not impressed.

Sooo.....from there we both decided that there was no point having a dessert which required any input from their 'clearly depressed' chef. So we ordered a cheese board each.

What a disappointment. The cheese was chalky, the sauce in the pot was definitely the apple sauce I left on my plate from the pork dish and the crackers.... I couldn't eat them, they were beyond stale.

After this, we just had a drink and decided that the best thing to do was go to sleep as soon as possible just to make tomorrow turn up so we could leave.

Next morning, we were going to use the swimming pool etc but decided against it. We just wanted to have breakfast and then get out. Breakfast........same shocking experience. Uncooked sausage......ruined fried eggs...... just horrible.

I also attempted to have a shower again in the morning...... I literally was in there two minutes as I decided just to wait until I got home.

We left and both vowed NEVER to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HumanC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
4 mi away
#1 of 1 in Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#6 of 24 in Swindon

Been to Cricklade House? Share your experiences!