“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 4 Cricklade B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked for two nights - visiting relatives in the area.
The hotel has the look and smell of the 1970's.
We checked in at the bar. Not exactly a warm welcome but more of a raise of the head which said "yes?" The lady was very efficient but not really friendly or welcoming. Why can't people just smile, it makes so much difference. However, it did appear that she was working alone, checking in, running the bar and later taking orders and serving in the restaurant so possibly understandable.
The room was slightly smaller than average and at the front of the building. Two drawer units, a wardrobe and a sink in the corner. The decor was very tired. The ensuite was more of a cubby hole in one corner of the room with a toilet and shower. The decor, again, was very tired with some of the brown tiles repaired with odd coloured replacements. My wife likes a bath but for the odd night away she is quite prepared to use a shower. On seeing the state of the shower she decided she would wait until we got home (and this was the hottest day of the year too!)
The thing that really concerned me about the shower was the power cable for the wall mounted shower unit which was clearly visible at either end of the surface mounted trunking that was fixed to the tiled wall. I'm not sure if this is even legal. Maybe in a private residence but not in a hotel room surely? The light bulb in the shower / toilet room was not enclosed at all meaning a wrongly directed squirt of water from the shower could be quite dangerous or at least plunge the hotel into darkness. Again, I'm not sure that this is legal (maybe was in the 70's).
The room was at the front of the hotel with two small windows opening onto the high street. There is a takeway and a Tescos Express opposite and along with the street light immediately outside the window meant a disturbed evening.
My wife tried to use the sink and there was no hot water. She left the hot tap running for a while to see if it would heat up but she found the sink was not draining properly so had to turn the tap off, before the appearance of any hot water, to avoid the sink overflowing.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant and the food was very good, no complaints at all.
The beds were very comfortable.

Now, I wouldn't mind all these little things. I realise that there are risks in booking a room in a small hotel/Inn such as this and normally I'd just grin and bear it and make a point not to return.
But the thing that really got to me was the price of this room.
The hotel web site states that the price of a double room starts from £68 yet I was charged £220 for two nights which is almost double !!
Now I know I wasn't booking a room at the Savoy but for this sort of money I expect something significantly better that this.
There was an Airshow event at nearby Fairford and I can only assume that the excessive charges were just another case of profiteering - something we do quite well in this country, from airlines to hotels.
For a weekend away I was quite prepared to spend good money on good accomodation, unfortunatley I made a bad choice.
We decided to check out a day early (losing our money) and head home, lesson learned.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the front. Better still, don't get a room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yorkie_IE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here overnight between completing two legs of the Thames Path National Trail. It is really well located for that! Although sound travels through the building, it is no worse than one would expect in a hotel of this age. The food menu was particularly good and maybe a tad overpriced but hearty meals and a light menu too. Has its own car park. Bed comfy!

Room Tip: Rooms not on the main road and on the top floor will be quieter. We had a double which had a roll aw...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We used this as an overnight stop on the Thames Path. Very easy walk to the hotel from the river. Our room was very small for a double and I had to ask for a second towel. The bathroom was dated, however it was functional and clean. The following morning, breakfast was continental style. There was a good selection of cereals, yoghurts, toasts and croissants. Breakfast was serviced early enough for walkers wanting a prompt start.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Catfacecat
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went out for a meal and found it expensive and the drinks were outrageously expensive £3.60 for an orange Henry.
The food was just ok but feel it was a waste of money and will not go back.
I do not recommend..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank colnhouse
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here at The White Hart for one Saturday night, we arrived at about 13,00pm the keys were given straight to us but first I enjoyed a nice pint of cold Guinness and the mrs had a glass of white wine before we went up to the room, the barman offered to take our luggage up to the room because it was on the top floor with a lot of steps to climb, but although I am very much a senior citizen I am very fit, I carried my own luggage up and yes there was a lot of steps, the room was very cold, the radiator was on full but was cold, as the late afternoon sun shone straight in our front window the room warmed up a bit so it was not a concern.....the room was clean, and so was the wash room and w.c. area, we washed and showered then went downstairs for a drink in the bar and to listen to the footie results coming in, we had quite a few drinks we love hotels with proper bars were the locals sometime pop in for a chat and a drink, the hotel was still ok but we were still cold in there, so it was jumpers on! the food looked good but we did not have any we only needed a small snack and the price for that was a little expensive but we were going out to party in the evening nearby! We thought that the food was a little overpriced anyway but it did look very good, our friends ate there and they enjoyed their food, the décor was a little tired and so was our room but we were only here for one night....Sunday we had a continental breakfast which was quite nice, they did a full English breakfast but you had to pay for this again we thought was expensive, the coffee was cold and they bought us a fresh pot but then it was very bitter (I am a coffee drinker) so we had a pot of tea to replace this, a lot of walkers use this hotel so be carefull that you don't trip on a discarded rucksack that's been left on the floor! Apart from a few minor things we had a good week end in the White Hart and a enjoyable time in Cricklade........

Room Tip: Pick a lower room level
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Former coaching inn, the accommodation in the White Hart is somewhat jaded and shows it's age. Our room had a curious annexe where there was a fitted wardrobe (with sticky door), a chest of drawers and the hospitality tray. On the plus side we had a double bed and two singles all in one room!

The ensuite was in fact a separate bathroom and loo, clearly formerly ones to be shared by many guests in the days when private facilities were not expected. There was a lot of plumbing on display in the loo, a few bits of missing wallpaper, and the hot water took ages to run - but we did get a bath, which is great when you are walking (we were doing the Thames Path). There were no tissues or shower cap, not essentials I know but sometimes needed.

We had an evening meal there - steamed sea bass for me, and cranberry and hazelnut wellington for my partner. Both were very good and excellent value for money - although the decor of the restaurant area is a little past it's best.

Breakfast was a little chaotic - the waitress didn't actually ask us whether we wanted a full cooked breakfast, she just brought it. It was a good meal but both of us actually would have opted for something a little lighter given the chance.

The advertised rates for the White Hart when we visited were, I believe, £69.95 for a double room: that is about right, in my view. The staff were helpful and for the price it worked ok - but it's not a luxury hotel, you have to accept its drawbacks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Out of date rooms with a rather unpleasant smell and a ropey shower - however they were a great size if you are a family. Saving grace are the friendly couple who run it and the parking at the back of what is a wonderful building. Would try the Red Lion down the road first.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cricklade
Cricklade House
Stanton House Hotel
Stanton House Hotel
#5 of 24 in Swindon
Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!