“Brilliant service!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant service!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I love it here, I'm in so often they know my exact order and my preferred seat, I don't even have to tell them, it is just done for me. The service is second to none, girls especially are smiley and brilliant at what they do, a place where you could if you wanted to, have a proper conversation with them, they're not afraid to have a chat and a laugh with you like some places are, I have felt snubbed in other restaurants but never here. The manager is a complete charmer and I couldn't think of anywhere better to go for your fish and chips, plus if you go in on a Sunday they do the best roasts in Berkshire! Just remember to book as they are usually packed they're so popular.

Reading
“Good food and beer, and family friendly.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We tend to come for lunch mid-week, with a little baby we like the family friendly atmosphere and there's always plenty of room for the pram. There are kids' toys to share and a couple of cosy log fires, plenty of choice on the menu and the service at this time of day has always been quick and friendly. We've not had any complaints with any of the meals we've tried (the massive chunky chips are wonderful!). The beers are well kept and there are usually a couple of local Oxfordshire brews on tap. Although part of a larger chain they have kept the cosy country-pub feeling and all in all it's a very enjoyable atmosphere. Recommended.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Giles M
Reading, United Kingdom
“Under new management - poor service and poor quality”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Very bad experiance.
Booked a table for 2, we arrives 10 minutes before the booking and were told our name hadn't been recorded. Basically nobody added to the diary. So we had to wait for a table. Once sat down, 45 mins passed with nobody taking our order or offering drinks. I went to the bar to confirm there was table service and was abruptly told someone will be with us. The place wasn't even half full. After another 15 minutes, a server takes our order. The food was incredibly salty and overpriced, poorly served and badly cooked. Both myself and my partner left half our food. After another half an hour of no waiter service, I had to go to the bar and ask for someone to collect our plates and bring a desert menu. We had been forgotten again. 20 mins later!!! Someone collected our plates and brought over a desert menu. At that point I had had enough, I complained of the service and asked for the bill. Incredible again we were forgotten and I had to go to the bar again and ask for the bill!!!! This time I spoke to the "manager" who dismissed my complaint and said the bill would be with me shortly. 10 mins later it arrived, no apology, no reasons given, no conversation. The deputy manager (Peter Palfi) checked the bill, took my card, debited the cash, and walked off without saying a word. Terrible, terrible place. APPALLING SERVICE DO NOT VISIT THIS PLACE!!!

• Visited December 2012
Bristol
“EWxcellent food, without even booking!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had booked into the Bird in Hand Inn at Knowl Hill for the weekend, and decided to take a walk to the nearest pub on a very cold and frosty January night. After stumbling over the Horse and Groom, we were encouraged to stop on seeing the 3 large open log fires burning brightly.
The food was very tasty and reasonably priced, and there were a good choice of real ales, and reasonably priced wines to wash it down.

Visited January 2013
Maidenhead
“Very pleasant meal/convenient location”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

8 colleagues enjoyed lunch here last week, my first visit since it was refurbished. Lovely open fires, and good atmospehere. Good menu with plenty of vegetarian options for our veggie friends. We really enjoyed it.
It is very easy to find on the A$ at Hare Hatch, near Twyford.
Recommended.