“Unique, secluded and picturesque”

Secrets on the Lake
Ranked #2 of 9 Montville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Secrets on the Lake is the most amazing place to stay. My husband and I have stayed in two different tree houses, 'Lizard's Lair' and 'The Nest', and I am hoping to get the chance to stay in all of them at least once. The first time we stayed, I felt that I could not take enough photos to capture the beauty of the wooden furniture, carvings and detail in the 'Lizard's Lair'. This time, I once again could not help but take photos of every detail. The view of the lake through the beautiful rainforest is just stunning and both treehouses made us feel like we were secluded, away from anyone else. So much time was spent in the spa, by the fire or on the swing seat on the deck. It also seemed like nothing was forgotten in the way of utensils for the kitchen and BBQ, as well as books, games and dvds being available during our stay. There were even electric blankets on our bed! So much attention to detail I can't wait to go back to Secrets. I am in love with this place!

1  Thank Deane D
Secretsonthelake, Front Office Manager at Secrets on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thanks for your review and thanks for posting the great photos - these are pics we don't get to experience from when you are relaxing in the treehouses.... so glad you enjoed it and we have many many more treehouses for you to choose from for your next stay!!!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We first visited this peace of paradise 14 yrs ago, when my husband proposed! We loved it then and always said we'd go back. Well we finally did, celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary and it is as glorious as it was back then. The cabins don't look aged or dated at all.....they still take your breath away. The serenity of the place is surreal and they don't overlook anything. The champagne breakfast baskets and BBQ hamper are overflowing with the yummiest food....they go a lot further than one meal. Those swing seats are heaven....we spent hours enjoying the view and each others company both on the deck and down by the dam. Worth every cent and guess what......we will definitely be back a third time!! Highly recommended.

3  Thank denisleila
Secretsonthelake, Front Office Manager at Secrets on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

We were so happy to see you again, sometimes life gets in the way of returning (and revisiting) those special places.... We hope to see you again soon (don't leave it for another 14 years!!!!!!)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Dear George and Aldy. Thankyou again so much. This is now our 4th time to Whistlestop and again just wonderful. We fell in love all over again. George you are such a real pleasure. Nothing has ever been overlooked. The BBQ hamper is full of fresh meats and homemade salads. The breakfast hamper has more food than we could ever eat. Lunch at the restaurant was beautiful. The weather was cold and misty and then rained, just how we like it. Perfect excuse to just sit by the fire and cuddle. The walk up through bush to the very private spa bath is still lovely. No baby possoms this time though. We look forward to spending many more visits with you. I would say without a doubt, Whistlestop is the most charming, romantic little place we have ever been. Don't change a thing. All the very best. Dom and Deb

Room Tip: If you wish total privacy and a step back in time with warmth and romance then Whistlestop is the be...
2  Thank Dominic M
Secretsonthelake, Front Office Manager at Secrets on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thanks Dom and Deb,
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, Whistlestop is very charming and romantic - we are so glad it worked its magic for you... it is so nice to have guests who are glowing when they leave - we know then that we have done our job well when we see such happy faces! (It is such a great way to re-connect and leave everything else behind even if it's just for a couple of days)!, we will see you again soon, (we LOVE reading reviews like this - makes us very happy :-))
Deb

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Once again Secrets On The Lake provided the welcome break from stress that we needed. The setting is stunning, the accommodation, attention to detail and meals second to none and the staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. We stayed in Waterlilies this time - our favourite treehouse - but they're all beautiful. We love it there - we've stayed several times in the past and we will be going back! Thank you to everyone at Secrets who helped make our stay so wonderful.

1  Thank Helen B

Love your photo, the Lake looks amazing, you captured a great memory. Waterlillies has a great connection to the water and is very private, so happy you had a wonderful time - and no, you don't go hungry when you stay here! From the abundant breakfast basket to the huge BBQ hamper and croissants delivered to your door each morning.... YUM!
Thank you so much for your review.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We booked our accommodation and prepaid almost 2 ½ months prior to my visit. The decision was pretty much based on the excellent reviews on tripadvisor. Now just 3 days before our trip we are strangely not feeling very positive for the whole experience due to very unprofessional communications from the management.

In response to their email we reiterated our request made two and a half months ago for the twin beds to be joined in the 2nd bedroom. We got a prompt response saying they will have two single beds as per my request. I once again emailed them back saying I have requested the beds to be joined together and not as two singles.

Once again I received a reply advising me that there is an extra charge for the twin beds to be joined. Further as my booking was for only two people there is an extra charge for additional persons, so I must advise how many people will be travelling. I was further advised my booking is for a “low budget stay”. This came as a shock as nowhere on their website does it mention any of their accommodation as being low budget. I definitely would not have booked if I knew it was a low budget stay. Besides, who would think the accommodation would be low budget after paying $200+ for one night.

I have again responded to their email saying I would not have booked if this was the case. Further I also mentioned why they had not advised this was the case in late March 2013 when I first made the booking rather than at this late stage. I have also once again advised them that it is only two people travelling.

I just hope there are no more negative surprises in store for us as it will be a big disappointment after looking forward to this break for a long time. Their communication has definitely been very unprofessional. I have given up any hope of them exceeding my expectations, just hope it meets my minimum expectations as I believe “Customer satisfaction is worthless, customer loyalty is priceless”.

We hope there will be something positive to share after our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank indkiwi
Secretsonthelake, Owner at Secrets on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

We are disappointed that this review was posted BEFORE you came to stay as we have attempted to rectify the situation. We appreciate that there was a mis-communication with this booking in the lead-up to your stay, but it was on both sides of the email conversation. We all know how easy it is to not quite get the details correct when emailing as opposed to a phone conversation.

In the response to your request about having the single beds joined, it was replied "Housekeeping will arrange the single beds for you as requested" meaning being joined together (as per your request). You then replied with an email to clarify - that's when we realised that we did not make our response clear enough. We apologise for this.

With any internet booking, it is best practice to re-confirm the number of guests staying (we have learnt through past experiences that some guests book for 2 but turn up with 4 guests). We always supply the information of rate for extra guests at this time.

The confusion regarding "low budget" would come from that the Whistlestop is a more affordable alternative to our treehouses and from our own comparisons of other cabins along the Hinterland.

The whole team here at Secrets for over 15 years have always prided ourselves with making every guests' stay an amazing and relaxing experience. You will see from other reviews how in nearly all cases we do achieve this in abundance. For example, if you read the review "Falling in Love Again" dated 14th June, you will see the perfect example of the relationship between Secrets and our guests . We do expect however, the opportunity to rectify any confusion once you have arrived and we feel that you did not offer us that opportunity considering we did not charge for the extra labour involved to put the 2 single beds together (they are not designed to go together so we went to the trouble of organising our handyman to structure it soundly for you). We wish you all the best.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our recent, second visit was as romantic as it was the first time we came, 3 years ago, but even better. The secluded setting and the attention to detail just defy reality. Hot croissants delivered quietly to the door each morning, the basket of breakfast goodies left nothing wanting and the BBQ meal, well, we could not fault a single thing during our 3 night stay. This place does not stand still and rest on its laurels. Everything is kept up to date, refreshed and fastidiously maintained. A real gem !

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JHerlig
Secretsonthelake, Front Office Manager at Secrets on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your review, our maintenance schedule can get a little tricky when we are fully booked and trying to keep our property peaceful and tranquil for all of our guests.. there are times we need to make a little noise in order to keep everything looking great.
We are so glad you had a wonderful time :-)

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I Treated my husband for our wedding anniversary, he loved his surprise, and ask me how I had discovered such a beautiful place. The chalet was clean, cosy and the view amazing. Loved the relaxing music. The service was friendly and very welcoming...we will definetly be back..

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Qaffer

We are so glad that you discovered us!
We LOVE surprises!
See you next anniversary?????

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montville
Clouds of Montville
Spicers Clovelly Estate
Spicers Clovelly Estate
#1 of 9 in Montville
Spicers Tamarind Retreat

Been to Secrets on the Lake? Share your experiences!