“Wow, wonderful food”

Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Montville
Cuisines: European, French, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Long Apron The signature restaurant of Montville’s picturesque Spicers Clovelly Estate. The Long Apron is a dining experience that insists on a lengthy stay. Our tasting menu doesn’t change every season but when the time is right. It is an ‘organic menu’ that adjusts to the changes constantly happening around us and highlights the best of our region, seasonal European inspired dishes, which blend classic techniques and the finest local produce with exquisite results. Our A La Carte menu offers a relaxed, fresh and zesty dining experience taking from dishes from the signature degustation. Our enthusiastic kitchen team are continuing to showcase the best of the Sunshine Coast’s stunning produce. We source our produce from our local growers, catchers, farmers and makers, some of which are providing bespoke ingredients for both ‘The Long Apron’ menus. The property’s garden and wild bee hives add to our sustainability commitment and emphasis on fresh and local.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We came here for lunch and wow. I was so impressed with the food and menu. Is not cheap but every dish for me was so exciting, tasty and just a joy. My favourite was the French onion soup that comes in its own brewed bottle and is poured over the onion, croutons and is delicious. Other dishes I loved were the wagyu carpaccio, yum and the pheasant, again yum. I was impressed with the service but my partner wasn't, as we had to grab our bottle of wine to top it up. To be honest I can live with that. This place has restored my faith in finding great food in Queensland that is not stodge. Highly recommend the 5 course degustation.

1  Thank Martin C

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wow, wow, wow the food is incredible! Service is great. This place is pure class. Do yourself a favour and GO.

1  Thank Jennifer333A
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We ate at the Long Apron 3 nights ago, due to it's "2 hat status" and we were staying nearby.
It was a lovely set out restaurant but we just didn't click with the dishes we had. Having said that it was some of the most innovative restaurants I've ever seen food-wise and I know there are people who really love deconstructed food and unorthodox interesting combinations that are truly unique. The cost was $75 for two courses and $85 for three courses.

The only dish we really loved was the complimentary appetiser which was a lovely soft citrus tart at the bottom, topped with coffee ground sized pieces of olive and topped again with bread sticks that looked exactly like twigs from a tree. It was amazing and tasted very good, though they encourage you to get "hands on" with your food so we had to use our butter knives to dig out the bits at the bottom. No worries with that. We shared the main meals, that included a pheasant dish with am amazing mix of ingredients (too many to recall) that didn't really do it for me. The "Coral trout" was beautiful quality and cooked in the skin. Sadly it was a little underdone in the middle so it didn't quite get over the line either, though the ends were delicious.
We shared a French onion soup which had the "soup" in a hot bottle of ale which you poured over the onions but it lacked the constituency of soup, being more like a syrup. It was good but I wouldn't have it again. Perhaps I just felt like good old French Onion soup that night! I suspect that people who enjoy "Hestons" culinary TV show in England (where they dish up amazing concoctions) would probably love Spicers, for it is unique and I suspect much expertise and energy are put into their dishes. Perhaps being adventurous has it's hazards and not all dishes can be both unique and winners at the same time. Perhaps if we had ordered something different we'd have had an entirely different experience!

The staff were all friendly and helpful and the decor was pleasant and modern, with good ambience.

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

My two friends and I were escorted to a a lovely table on the terrace on a perfect winter's day with the Glass Mountains visible in the distance.

The service was excellent throughout our five course meal ($105). We chose to pick from the three offerings for each course rather than the seven course degustation simply to try more of the fifteen different creations on offer.

We all thought each course improved on the last with the delightful presentation, artful use of colours & textures and sumptious flavours. With out doubt the best snail dish I have tasted and the pepper truffle moss garden for dessert a truly inspired finish!

1  Thank SerenaGrace
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a five course degustation. Every single course was exceptional - the combination of colours, textures and flavours simply superb. I did not want the evening to end. This restaurant is very special - and easily stands up to the best Sydney or Melbourne has on offer. Make no mistake - if you like very fine dining, with exquisite food and the most spectacular attention to detail - this is the one for you.

2  Thank N-D-Entice